• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caution when paying with a credit-card on TD websites.

geoxman

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/2/19
As i said, I have never have jackass. but if I order something and as I stated...it is never shipped then I will. As should be expected. If its a piece of crap then I will try and work it out. My name is not Jim, Sonny Jack, but good guess for you. alles klar herr kommissar
If i have fraud I report it it...get a new card and never look back. No not a total cock I just understand how credit cards work. Life of the party no, nor do I want to be. This thread was about precautions of using a CC when purchasing and unless you are using a subprime card I do not think there is anything to worry about. As to the thread above yours...I have never seen REPLICA anything on a CC bill. It is usually watch band, computers, electronics etc,, so I doubt anything will arise..but thanks for looking out!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
As i said, I have never have jackass. but if I order something and as I stated...it is never shipped then I will. As should be expected. If its a piece of crap then I will try and work it out. My name is not Jim, Sonny Jack, but good guess for you. alles klar herr kommissar
If i have fraud I report it it...get a new card and never look back. No not a total cock I just understand how credit cards work. Life of the party no, nor do I want to be. This thread was about precautions of using a CC when purchasing and unless you are using a subprime card I do not think there is anything to worry about. As to the thread above yours...I have never seen REPLICA anything on a CC bill. It is usually watch band, computers, electronics etc,, so I doubt anything will arise..but thanks for looking out!

:facepalm:

Reactions: chc05120k

WatchMeSailor

Known Member
22/8/20
Down Under

This is all well and good, but the reality is that if you don't follow the formal process, a bunch of people who have your true name and address will take a decision not to sell to you ever again. They'll basically pass on your details within the sellers and moderators of all the related communities so that you will have great difficulty buying again. Depending on how difficult you are, they may chose to publish your information online, potentially send it to the credit card company and explain circumstances, which may create more problems for you. It's all well and good to beat your chest and so on but spend some time reflecting on the guidance around purchasing that members have invested so much time in creating and spend an hour or so reading through the various discussions in the brig to understand what can happen when people do break the rules.

I'm not saying you would break rules by the way, far from it. I'm just suggesting you do your research and make your decisions with eye wide open.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I highly doubt that!!!!! I do not deal with amateur cards. If there was an ounce of fraud on my Amex, Chase or Citii cards I would not pay a CENT. If that happened they would issue me a credit and a new card plus Fedex a new one to my address. As far as charge backs..if I am not happy with a service, commodity or anything else and the vendor will not rectify the situation I will do a charge back. I have never been rejected because my claims are justified. I have never done a CB with a TD but if I did I doubt there would be any resistance as there was an obvious problem...like never shipping..etc.. . If your so called black ball MIGHT happen...then I would use one of my corporate Amex, Chase or Citi cards. Now to what the OP was saying if you use a subprime card you might not have any other course than to accept it..
I would not even pay my best friend, a mechanic, to work on my vehicle and pay cash, zelle, venmo or wire transfer. If you are a real business then accept cards and charge accordingly. I just paid a $30 premium for a watch purchased from PT and I was happy to do so.....piece of mind!. good luck!

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
geoxman Solving situations amicably is part and parcel of this forums, trying every way possible to be gracious and understanding until it is truly clear that the other party is unreasonable. Forums like RWI bring a kind of transparency and safety to buying from this trade, I would never take it for granted and I suggest you do to. Being nice, patient and understanding doesn’t cost much :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

Oh dear, that was dumb. Don't try to return "Phil from Saint Louis" (yes I know who you are) as you are no longer welcome here. You don't have the right attitude for this hobby being a right self absorbed twat.

Reactions: Cicero and Glaude

bolo9876

Horology Curious
14/10/20
I plan on purchasing a rep soon from a TD ... I have been doing research the past year or so on all of this to figure out which of the 2 models I am interested in is my best option. taking notes of everything down to the smallest of details ...

I always said in the beginning to myself "I dont think it would be wise to put my CC info into one of these places" ... I would prefer to use PayPal but from what I see like none of the TD websites accept PP for payment. I think I may have seen 1 that had the PayPal logo thing at the bottom under payment methods but nearly all of them did not have that option ...

I would never do a bank transfer ..... I could consider western union but really too lazy to go that route ... PayPal would be the easiest for me I think.

I am considering going to my local grocery store that sells the pre paid Visa cards and just getting one of those in the amount I need it for?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I plan on purchasing a rep soon from a TD ... I have been doing research the past year or so on all of this to figure out which of the 2 models I am interested in is my best option. taking notes of everything down to the smallest of details ...

I always said in the beginning to myself "I dont think it would be wise to put my CC info into one of these places" ... I would prefer to use PayPal but from what I see like none of the TD websites accept PP for payment. I think I may have seen 1 that had the PayPal logo thing at the bottom under payment methods but nearly all of them did not have that option ...

I would never do a bank transfer ..... I could consider western union but really too lazy to go that route ... PayPal would be the easiest for me I think.

I am considering going to my local grocery store that sells the pre paid Visa cards and just getting one of those in the amount I need it for?

Why not transferwise ?

bolo9876

Horology Curious
14/10/20
Glaude when you say "transferwise" ... are you asking why would not do a bank transfer? or is "transferwise" some kind of way of paying ? I do not understand exactly when you say the phrase "transferwise" ... please elaborate so I can better understand what you mean. thanks

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Glaude when you say "transferwise" ... are you asking why would not do a bank transfer? or is "transferwise" some kind of way of paying ? I do not understand exactly when you say the phrase "transferwise" ... please elaborate so I can better understand what you mean. thanks

Sorry I assumed you knew about it, Transferwise is a money transfer service mostly accepted by TDs

bolo9876

Horology Curious
14/10/20
hmmm ... no never heard of it ... ill look into it and see what its about though. I just know anything that deals with bank account or credit card info I would never use that kind of information of mine ... throw some funds on PP and send that, sure ... throw some funds on a throw away pre paid CC and use that, sure ... I think those are the only 2 ways id feel most comfortable. ill have to look up this "transferwise" and see what it entails. thanks

Garnetjarvis

Looking Around
27/8/20
One of my happiest rep days was when I became trusted by Ryan to pay via.PP. One of my saddest rep days was seeing all the money I was.sending via PP! Lol

I have just bought 4 Rolex Subs from Intime , very pleased with Ryan and his company, .........as you say I will be sending him more money again very soon!,,,

Reactions: DaleM

Maui Jim

14/6/11
California
So do you have protection against fraud using Transferwire? A new probationary uses this and PayPal Friends and Family. Maybe no protection at all by using those?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
So do you have protection against fraud using Transferwire? A new probationary uses this and PayPal Friends and Family. Maybe no protection at all by using those?

The protection is the forum for any SV/TD but with Transferwise, the only protection you have will be the one your bank or CC will offer on the funds transfered to Transferwise, transferwise in itself is not reversible

Maui Jim

14/6/11
California
The protection is the forum for any SV/TD but with Transferwise, the only protection you have will be the one your bank or CC will offer on the funds transfered to Transferwise, transferwise in itself is not reversible

I was told by a TD that TW would refund me to my CC if I got ripped off. My bank told me that is not the case and TW is a third party which the bank will not reimburse if items do not arrive. Basically the bank said any wire transfer is a risk.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I was told by a TD that TW would refund me to my CC if I got ripped off. My bank told me that is not the case and TW is a third party which the bank will not reimburse if items do not arrive. Basically the bank said any wire transfer is a risk.

If you're using your TW CC to pay, you can still make a chargeback via TW. You can't chargeback a bank-transfer, well theoretically there are ways where a transfer could be reversed by I've only ever known a few cases, certainly not because of an online transfer.

If it's a TD, then they key word is "trusted" dealer. You should have no worries using banktrasnfer.

Maui Jim

14/6/11
California
If you're using your TW CC to pay, you can still make a chargeback via TW. You can't chargeback a bank-transfer, well theoretically there are ways where a transfer could be reversed by I've only ever known a few cases, certainly not because of an online transfer.

If it's a TD, then they key word is "trusted" dealer. You should have no worries using banktrasnfer.

Its a probationary dealer so I would think they would be pretty honest to gain our business

Last edited:

jlinsobe

Horology Curious
28/4/15
I use my American Express CC. And have used others too.
In the USA we get purchase protection and unauthorized user protection.
i have had a few incidents, on USA and foreign webistes. I have never had to pay a single dime.

my Citi and Chase put a stop on unusual purchases and I need to text back to let it go through.
so I do know when they attempt to use them.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I use my American Express CC. And have used others too.
In the USA we get purchase protection and unauthorized user protection.
i have had a few incidents, on USA and foreign webistes. I have never had to pay a single dime.

my Citi and Chase put a stop on unusual purchases and I need to text back to let it go through.
so I do know when they attempt to use them.

See a couple of post above about American Express CC, it's not so much about protection, but about trust in the forum ways.

Most if not all the card I know have buyers and unauthorized purchase protection (except maybe the real low low tier of CC which usually don't work on Internet anyway), but it's about doing a chargeback without forum validation.
When you do a chargeback on a TD transaction because you saw a few tax added, you hurt the TD way more than the shady card processor.

If you do a chargeback on subsequent unauthorized purchase because of the shady card processor, then yes, it's fair game to do it, and won't hurt the TD in any way

jlinsobe

Horology Curious
28/4/15
See a couple of post above about American Express CC, it's not so much about protection, but about trust in the forum ways.

Most if not all the card I know have buyers and unauthorized purchase protection (except maybe the real low low tier of CC which usually don't work on Internet anyway), but it's about doing a chargeback without forum validation.
When you do a chargeback on a TD transaction because you saw a few tax added, you hurt the TD way more than the shady card processor.

If you do a chargeback on subsequent unauthorized purchase because of the shady card processor, then yes, it's fair game to do it, and won't hurt the TD in any way

I have no plans to charge anything back to the TD. I dont see where you saw that in my reply.
I just report an invalid transaction that I havent authorized. Not a CB. Amex takes care of it.
i have been buying from my TD since 2014. Never ever had an issue.
For the records I know the ruleof this game very well.

Most CC theft is done via interception. Very specialized group of black hackers do it and sell the records in batches.
The can capture POS (point of sale) transactions, even if they are encrypted.
They can hack bitcoin wallets, exchanges, big bank fund transfers
Lets just say I work in the IT field. Been there for some time.
if you all knew what really goes on behind... did I mention the fact that a good percentage of this theft is done from within the organization. Oh yes indeed , corporation, banks, exchanges, etc have moles n their IT and analyst dept too.

Last edited: