• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caution when paying with a credit-card on TD websites.

SUBKILLER

Renowned Member
30/7/16
I understand. I know Ryan is legit but you can never be too sure. How are you certain they're not involved? Com'on. After all, they are selling counterfeit illegal stuff. Again... like I said. I don't think Ryan is involved but you can never be too certain.
Ryan's in a multimillion dollar business. Even though illegal, still big business to be risking profits for credit card fraud. My bet is the processor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
How are you certain they're not involved? Com'on

Because they don't run a Credit card processor ... because I build websites and I know what you can or can't do in a checkout process and because it's a known fact

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Ryan's in a multimillion dollar business. Even though illegal, still big business to be risking profits for credit card fraud. My bet is the processor.

Definitely the processor. I've dealt with Ryan since 2013, I am surprised it never happened until my most recent purchases.

I see, thanks.

mess1955

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/7/13
United States
The best way to pay is CC or paypal.

I prefer CC as you can get an immediate temp credit,
BC/ WU/Wire- no clawback- your money is gone and untraceable.

Please do yourself a favor-use PP or CC- View the lost discount as an insurance premium !!

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
The best way to pay is CC or paypal.

I prefer CC as you can get an immediate temp credit,
BC/ WU/Wire- no clawback- your money is gone and untraceable.

Please do yourself a favor-use PP or CC- View the lost discount as an insurance premium !!

Did you even care to read beyond the title of the thread?

Reactions: Glaude and gilrob

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Whats the latest advice? Any TDs accepting PayPal routinely yet?

Unlikely to happen, quite the opposite, with all the chargebacks and abusive customers, TDs are more and more reluctant to accept Paypal from unknown user

HardVision

11/8/20
Recently I was talking to a coworker about making purchases from questionable places and he turned me on to “Chime” it’s a VISA Debit card. He uses it as a “Momma don’t know account”.
A few nice things about is there are zero fees and you can either direct deposit your paycheck into that account (which he does) but you can also just transfer money from your bank account. If you want another layer of security you can write yourself a check (do people still have those?) so nothing is linked directly to your account, and you just move the exact amount that you need for the purchase you’re making.
Plus allowing an overdraft is an opt in thing. That way if your information gets compromised and they try to use your card then it will just be denied. Not to mention there is an app which is very nice to use.

I’ve actually been thinking about moving all of my online purchasing to this card, switch PayPal over to it, everything. That way I’d have nothing that directly connected to my accounts online. Granted there would a very small window where you will have moved money to that card and whatever transaction is going to go through but hasn’t yet, where someone could use the card and screw you over. Still it’s a much safer way to go about buying things online.

Reactions: Rolet81

geoxman

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/2/19
never had a problem with my Amex and I doubt I ever will. for the price I pay for that card, they will back me no matter what. I can't tell you the number of charge backs I have done with retailers and I always win. If some fraud happens they will fedex me a new card and I am happy. I never worry about any internet purchase with them. good luck

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I can't tell you the number of charge backs I have done with retailers and I always win.

Do that with one of our dealers or any dealers on any forum and I can tell you there's one place where you won't win, it's here, you'll perhaps your money back, but you'll loose more than money.

The caution advice is also regarding some of the fees associated with direct CC payment, not only fraud.

bupeapoop

5/9/20
Thanks for the great info. In all honesty, I was completely unaware that your CC information is displayed out in full without any layer of encryption.

You mentioned Virtual CCs or Pre Paid Cards? Do you know of any services within the UK that offer such a thing? From what I'd been reading a while back, the UK were closing down on these services due to a vast rise in money laundering. A while back when I was looking for such a thing, I found it really difficult and never managed to source such a thing.

In all honesty.. I think Bitcoin is the way to go when it comes to payment.

WatchMeSailor

Known Member
22/8/20
Down Under
Another challenge with paying by credit card is that the e-commerce business that processes the transaction is often unaware of the nature of the transaction. If they become aware that they are transacting for counterfeit goods they will terminate relationship with the TD and start issuing refunds which may take some time to come through to the buyer. We have seen this recently with some of the TD's.

The problem I'm seeing is that newbie buyers who have poorly researched, feel they have an added sense of security or recourse to challenge a charge if they feel they have a bad experience with a TD. I.E. the watch isn't as good as the gen or such like. Aside from unwittingly putting themselves at risk of being blacklisted from TDs and this community if they make these kinds of challenges, when an e-commerce platforom stops working, they end up thinking they are being scammed by the TD. The TD then gets heat from the newbie who thinks that they're being scammed.

All this comes out of the issue of newbie laziness / unwilling to invest time to learn about the nature of this marketplace before transacting.

#trustthemoderation and use Transferwise, BTC etc to avoid any of these problems.

Last edited:

Giblets46

Horology Curious
17/6/15
Thanks, took the transferwise option, double bonus as there was a discount with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geoxman

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/2/19
Do that with one of our dealers or any dealers on any forum and I can tell you there's one place where you won't win, it's here, you'll perhaps your money back, but you'll loose more than money.

The caution advice is also regarding some of the fees associated with direct CC payment, not only fraud.

I highly doubt that!!!!! I do not deal with amateur cards. If there was an ounce of fraud on my Amex, Chase or Citii cards I would not pay a CENT. If that happened they would issue me a credit and a new card plus Fedex a new one to my address. As far as charge backs..if I am not happy with a service, commodity or anything else and the vendor will not rectify the situation I will do a charge back. I have never been rejected because my claims are justified. I have never done a CB with a TD but if I did I doubt there would be any resistance as there was an obvious problem...like never shipping..etc.. . If your so called black ball MIGHT happen...then I would use one of my corporate Amex, Chase or Citi cards. Now to what the OP was saying if you use a subprime card you might not have any other course than to accept it..
I would not even pay my best friend, a mechanic, to work on my vehicle and pay cash, zelle, venmo or wire transfer. If you are a real business then accept cards and charge accordingly. I just paid a $30 premium for a watch purchased from PT and I was happy to do so.....piece of mind!. good luck!

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I highly doubt that!!!!! I do not deal with amateur cards. If there was an ounce of fraud on my Amex, Chase or Citii cards I would not pay a CENT. If that happened they would issue me a credit and a new card plus Fedex a new one to my address. As far as charge backs..if I am not happy with a service, commodity or anything else and the vendor will not rectify the situation I will do a charge back. I have never been rejected because my claims are justified. I have never done a CB with a TD but if I did I doubt there would be any resistance as there was an obvious problem...like never shipping..etc.. . If your so called black ball MIGHT happen...then I would use one of my corporate Amex, Chase or Citi cards. Now to what the OP was saying if you use a subprime card you might not have any other course than to accept it..
I would not even pay my best friend, a mechanic, to work on my vehicle and pay cash, zelle, venmo or wire transfer. If you are a real business then accept cards and charge accordingly. I just paid a $30 premium for a watch purchased from PT and I was happy to do so.....piece of mind!. good luck!

You are quite a demanding one aren't you ? May I remind you what type of goods we are dealing with here ?

I was not saying anything regarding the ability of your card provider or your "non amateur" card to be able to reject any extra charge, that was not the point.

My point and you have given me all the reason to made it even more clear, was that, you don't do a chargeback on any of the dealer without asking for approval to do it to a staff member if you have an issue with the dealer, failing to follow that rule get you banned and blacklisted from all the TD across all boards, after that, good luck finding someone to sell you a rep, no matter the card you used.

You are nothing special here, nor your card is, so you should really watch how you talk to people.

Reactions: tripdog

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

So tell me, have you always been a total cock or is it just an internet persona? You must be a ball of fun at parties.
I'm telling you now sonny jim, do an unauthorised chargeback on one of our dealers and it will not end well for you, alles klar?