• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TD's and replacement parts

oshtosh

Known Member
2/11/16
Having only purchased complete watches in the past, I am trying to source a replacement dial for one of my watches from the TD that supplied it to me originally.

However, it seems to be taking quite a while. He keeps saying they haven't shipped it, or he hasn't received anything.

Makes me wonder - are some TD's better connected than others? Or are parts supply very slow regardless who you use?

Just with this particular TD, he seems to take a very long time to get answers from the factories.....

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Most TD it's not a priority to get miscellaneous parts and some will flat out say no. It's not cost effective.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Nothing to do with service buddy, it is a matter of cost as most td's don't have any watches in stock but order directly from the factory....same goes for parts which some dealers can source for you

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
It is one of the things that annoys me in the sales area. People stating that a part is easily sourced form a TD. From my experience it is a lot harder than some people state.

Reactions: sinsir

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
In my experience I’ve come to the following conclusions:
- TD’s will charge a lot for spare parts, especially when you compare the price of the part against a whole watch.
- TD’s seem to prefer to source major components, not minor ones. Case, crown, dial, movement, case back.
- Not all TD’s will get parts. Not all TD’s will get the same parts from same factory. Expect to contact many TD’s.
- Factories Parts aren’t always the same when you buy them separate from the watch as a whole. I ordered replacement crowns from two separate TD’s from supposedly the same factory. The original and replacements were all different.

Reactions: leo6929

divemax

2/7/14
Texas, USA
I recently ordered a dial from my preferred TD and had no problem. Smooth transaction just like the watches I’ve purchased from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveSS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/14
I'd love to find a TD that can find me a replacement bezel for my Noob Planet Ocean!!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Good luck with that, dealers have a lot of problems obtaining parts from the makers as they are just interested in selling them.
Its not that the dealers don't care that you need a part, it's just almost impossible to source them sometimes.

oshtosh

Known Member
2/11/16
I'm not sure why the makers think we'll buy a whole new watch when they won't sell us the part. Someone needs to educate them about the fine points of commerce.....

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Maybe I don't buy as many parts as others but every part I've ever ordered from my TD he has been able to get...

oshtosh

Known Member
2/11/16
Hmmm. The problem is, a TD won't order a part for you unless you purchased the watch from him. At least that's my experience.
The perils of using more than one TD.

VitZan

Known Member
23/4/19
Italy
It is one of the things that annoys me in the sales area. People stating that a part is easily sourced form a TD. From my experience it is a lot harder than some people state.

I agree, it is not easy and for sure i have to say in my case is even very expensive: I asked for a replacement link of ceramica bracelet (lost 1h after arrival) and the price was $250... I think I will buy another watch with that money...

6486389be08bb971b1cce857021eaaf5.jpg

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
factory won't make spares just to be sat on the shelf especially if its a not too popular watch, thats money down the drain as far as they're concerned.