• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How much have you guys spent on reps?

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
I was looking for this thread but could only dig up ones from 2015 and felt I shouldn't necro those. I'm relatively new to the community, about 2-3 months in, but I've been lurking since fall of last year when I was considering buying a gen Pelagos and discovered this world. Bought my first rep 2 months ago and now I'm 3 reps in + 1 DHGate cheapie and already spent about $1,400 so far which was totally not what I meant to do when I first started lol. I never even ended up getting a Pelagos! I wanted to see how much some of the veterans here have spent so I can mentally justify getting more in the future...just dodged getting a JFv9.5 AP Diver because my wrists are only 6.25 inches but I feel like I'm falling in love with a new watch every few weeks now.

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
In the gen world, you limit yourself to what the brands command in price - which makes it easier to know what price ball park you will be in.

The rep world is different and has evolved.

Many years back, reps were cheaper on aggregate but equally, there weren't many good out-of-the-box (OOTB) reps either. So you would find yourself buying a cheapish rep, but then modding it to a satisfactory level. 250-to 450 USD was quite the good range per piece. Many would average probs 4-5 in rotation.

These days, solid OOTB reps can cost >1000 USD in one go. Or you get very good reps and mod it with genuine after market parts. Prices have skyrocketed immensely. I think there are more people now owning 2-3 reps than before, simply because they put most of their funds into franken super reps. But you can still get amazing cheaper super reps which can amount to 6-8 in your watch box.

Just some 2c

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
yup, and in the watch game, 1400 you can buy a low budget gen like C.Ward chrono, but on the other hand you have 3 great reps :)

Palace

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/18
Germany
In the gen world, you limit yourself to what the brands command in price - which makes it easier to know what price ball park you will be in.

The rep world is different and has evolved.

Many years back, reps were cheaper on aggregate but equally, there weren't many good out-of-the-box (OOTB) reps either. So you would find yourself buying a cheapish rep, but then modding it to a satisfactory level. 250-to 450 USD was quite the good range per piece. Many would average probs 4-5 in rotation.

These days, solid OOTB reps can cost >1000 USD in one go. Or you get very good reps and mod it with genuine after market parts. Prices have skyrocketed immensely. I think there are more people now owning 2-3 reps than before, simply because they put most of their funds into franken super reps. But you can still get amazing cheaper super reps which can amount to 6-8 in your watch box.

Just some 2c
Never seen such a rep at the price, where is that? And do they have genuine dials etc?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Since I joined RWI 2 months ago, I already spent a lot. =D 3,513 USD to be exact .....tsk3.

Don't worry it gets worse lol.

I just gave up counting, I used to try to stick to a budget of around $500 a month but that went out the window a long time ago. I am not as bad as I used to be but still pretty bad sometimes It can be quite addictive.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Spent about 3500$ since i joined in december. When you are new, you tend to buy everything and anything just to test and have fun. Now that i have a bit more knowledge, i also know how to identify my needs better.

Yep. Buy it all, refine your tastes, then consolidate and franken :)

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Once you add that word, franken, then the investments in the habit (hobby) really starts climbing exponentially. when you start getting into obscure and hard to source genuine parts the prices can really skyrocket.

Reactions: C Master and nest1

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
I have spent WAY too much over the years. That's why I've been staying away for a while. When I'm here I always ending spending more money lol

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I have spent thousands on reps, and I often wondered if money was not better spent on gens.
Hmm... I probably should stop browsing at InTime and PureTime.

Reactions: stufuse

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I have currently around 75 reps and you can do the mathematics by yourself since I stopped counting a loooong time ago. Some were custom made (vintage PAM), some are modded, some are super reps, some are sold out reps..
Maybe 5 reps out of the 75 are lower quality in the 200$ range. I have something like 70 custom made leather straps for my PAMs, from 50-200$. Expensive hobby but I enjoy it every single day (my eyes are all the time on the m2m, dealer websites, etc..)

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Well surely over 10k :(

Yep, 12k perhaps 13k US, I used to counting it but I stopped.
If I clear the reps which I do not wear and all parts, it should bring me below 10k.
There was the time when I was like OP - "falling in love with a new watch every week" - but then you buy them all sooner or later. The good thing is my taste has crystalized now and there are only few watches which I am interested in.