• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Credit cards hacked

MadWatcher

Known Member
20/3/19
I posted this in another thread on June 19

Here's an update to my credit card payment made in March not going through.

I checked my credit card transactions online almost everyday and yesterday, I noticed 3 unauthorized transactions made on my credit card 3 days ago. This is a card that I never used for anything else. So I call the bank and told them about these unknown transactions and while on the phone with them, I saw another pending transaction made just an hour earlier. The bank said there was another transaction made 6 days ago on some website for but it hasn't been posted to my account yet. So a total of 5 unauthorized transactions was made in 6 days. Most of the transactions was made in British £ which is not my currency.

So everyone who had credit card payment not go through, check your credit card transactions very carefully.

SuperFranken

Horology Curious
4/6/19
anyone who say "I don't know how to buy and use Bitcoin", can you open your browser and look on google. It's take 5 secondes to search, 5 secondes to find a website explained you how to do.
And for those who don't want use crypto, there existe an other possibility with virtual credit card. Same here, just check on google for a virtual card linked to your real credit card.

jpjp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/9/17
ASIA
even on my card there was some unauthorised transaction from japan ! immediately blocked and raised the query .
i am from western asia and card was swiped in japan for JPY 51000 .
SCARY !!

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
Same issue!! I had both my CCs hacked over the last month. I lock them now until I want to use for something. I will only use paypal for purchase with a TD. If they don’t want, I will not buy.

Michu

Horology Curious
27/6/19
My card was hijacked after several unsuccessful attempts to pay a TD that I had previously used without problems, several purchases were made From next directory before my CC company blocked the card for suspicious activity, fortunately my CC refunded me without problems, but it has really put me off using a Chinese based TD purely because of the grief i had with my last attempted purchase and that was before the card got hacked.

fortunately being in the UK I've discovered KS watch, who I used for my last purchase, who take bank transfers direct to a uk bank account.

Scary stuff! I would also recommend using Revolut, they do offer a "disposable" virtual credit card which changes number after every transaction. They are an online only based "bank" but I've had no issues purchasing goods from Asia with it. Mind you I haven't yet purchased my first rep but will be doing so soon.

deaconblue

Horology Curious
28/10/20
I am new to the group as well as to rep watches and have come across this being mentioned several times. Wouldn't the card issuer (Visa, MC) be required to refund non authorized purchases under buyer protection? If pre-paid card is loaded with only the amount required to complete a given purchase, wouldn't this eliminate the possibility of card being hacked. Concerned.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I am new to the group as well as to rep watches and have come across this being mentioned several times. Wouldn't the card issuer (Visa, MC) be required to refund non authorized purchases under buyer protection? If pre-paid card is loaded with only the amount required to complete a given purchase, wouldn't this eliminate the possibility of card being hacked. Concerned.

This would have to be seen with the credit card provider aka your bank. Usually yes, they will refund unauthorized use of the credit card but it takes a bit of time to get resolved depending on the level of services associated with your card & bank account

My Visa wasn't hacked. However, my bank contacted me advising they were cancelling my current card and replacing it with a new card / number & security code because although there was no fraud attempt on my card a merchant I had dealt with had been compromised. They said they couldn't tell me which merchant because they themselves didn't know and that the information was coming to them from Visa. My new card arrived yesterday. This Visa gets very limited use but has included one of the most popular TD here. I'm not saying that is the source but I'm suspicious.

Seems W.U. would be a good alternative.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
My Visa wasn't hacked. However, my bank contacted me advising they were cancelling my current card and replacing it with a new card / number & security code because although there was no fraud attempt on my card a merchant I had dealt with had been compromised. They said they couldn't tell me which merchant because they themselves didn't know and that the information was coming to them from Visa. My new card arrived yesterday. This Visa gets very limited use but has included one of the most popular TD here. I'm not saying that is the source but I'm suspicious.

Seems W.U. would be a good alternative.

There's absolutely no harm in saying it's a TD here, we know that they have nothing to do with those attempts but have no choice to use shady credit card processor. If you ask them the best way to pay, they'll never recommend CC.

CC is only here because it's asked by noobs and it's a bit safer than allowing people to use PayPal

Glad you got this sorted, if you have no choice but to use CC, see with your bank if they have a e-card system that will allow you to generate a specific card number for a given sum and time, this would ease any fraud and would not require the whole process you went through.