• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling serial flippers only.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Two weeks ago, after deep and thoughtful reflection, I carefully selected 10 watches I believed I wanted to move on and put up for sale. Today, 9 of the 10 have for some reason found their way back into my watch boxes. I feel so ashamed of my attachment and seeming weakness of resolve. So I’m here to seek help from you members who are on the other end of the watch collection spectrum- the serial flippers. How do you decide and stick to the decision to sell a particular watch? Have you had any regret about the sale and how did you deal with it (other than rebuying the watch)?

I really want to sell these watches, but I don’t want to have an emotional meltdown either. Please enlighten me.

Reactions: cpd2186

Hyjynx

28/9/13
And by the way, this is not another of those “going gen” or “getting out of the rep game” threads. I love my reps as much as my gens. Still proudly a Patron too.

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Live this post! Sure I purchased many to check them out, sold them to move stick and yes repurchased lol.
Pam 187 had 2 sold 1 and like to get back to 2. Omega ploprof managed to collect four, in search for white. Several Pam 390’s. I own gens and never really purchased a rep to discover and go gen not after seeing what most reps have to offer! Great hobby.

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Reactions: stufuse and Hyjynx

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I’ve had four watches on my sell list. Haven’t worn them in an year at least. Every time I go to take the pics to sell them a get an anxious tick, put them back and cry a bit for even thinking about it.

I too need some help. I think it will take professional level though.

russell85

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/6/19
I have not regretted selling any watches. And most of my collections are super rep or close to being one ... Reason being im always tempted by new releases, hence older reps have to go to make room and $$$

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I am just an addict....but selling goes with it. I have regrets on some of my sales like my Pam 000

Reactions: Hyjynx

jai04

19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
When I startted this hobby a few years ago, I bought every watches that I thought I like just to feel my first watchbox. When I filled that (12 watches)I felt good. However, I have only one row that I frequently wear. So I decided to let go of the other row. I didn't have any remorse selling those except for the ap diver v7 (which I did not really want to sell in the first place) in which I really tried my best not to chase the buyer to buy it from him again. I guess for me, you will eventually know whether you really like the watch or not. Some you just enjoy looking, some you enjoy wearing . But there are some that you know will be appreciated more by someone.
​​​​​

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
I have bought/built/sold dozens of watches. I do have some regrets. Now I'm down to just a handful (5) that each serve a specific purpose. My strategy is to have one watch for each purpose that I expect to encounter, and then make sure that each one is the best that I can make it. For example: (All Franken)
  • Vintage two-tone datejust for work and nicer dress
  • 5513 transitional for weekends and casual
  • 1016 for when I want to fly under the radar and not be "Big Rolexy"
  • Birth year Accutron Spaceview for Special occasions
  • Casio waterproofed to 1000 ft for rough work or swimming
B

Reactions: r0b9502 and Hyjynx

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I joined the forums to purchase the sub. After being here for some 2 years, I will give you a definitive personal opinion. I will sell my Noob V9 hulk. I love it and it performs excellently, I will let it go because of public perception/demand. It is just too recognizable and dont feel comfortable wearing it. I have switched to less recognizable brands/models, even if they come with flaws which dont make the the NWBIG list

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Don't like one thing about a piece? Off it goes. Simple as that.

Reactions: stufuse and Hyjynx

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I know the second I put it on my wrist if it's a keeper or not. If not it's gone. That's why my ads always read "worn once around the house."

There are a few watches I wish I could have kept because of the build quality and looks of it but as famous attorney once said: If the glove (watch) don't fit...

Last edited:

jamesezra

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/4/16
Very interesting thread we have here.

For myself, as long as I have not worn the watch for more than 5 days, it goes on the sales forum.
I do have a long stay in my collection, a Noob v7 LN which I bought direct from Prof (With his then-newly released blackhole cyclops) with a Cerameister (since MIA) insert which I personally installed.

I guess it's the personal connection of installing the insert that makes me want to keep it.

The rest has been through the revolving door.

Reactions: Hyjynx and Katarsis

Circarama

Supporter
Certified
21/6/18
Sunny California
I’ve always found its much easier to buy than to sell, mainly because I like to post really nice ads. It would be so much easier if I could just bring myself to throwing a watch on the counter, take a couple of snaps, and post them with minimal text. But nooooo! I have to take ALL the pictures, add in ALL the sales links, write up a full description, etc. It takes forever.

The nice thing about selling though is this: I have the money sitting in PayPal so I can pounce, and I have an empty spot in the box which helps my mental justification for buying another rep, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Sane problem but i can sell to make room. Reps...Gens...can't stop. Love them. Doesn't matter 60 dollar cheapie or 10k. I love watches.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Circarama

wolfwood

4/2/11
I have bought a lot and have sold a lot. I have been purging a lot recently. I've let go some which I really love, the three TCs for example. The reason, I need to spend the money somewhere else. That's pretty much the only motivator for me or else I would be too lazy to take all the pics, edit them and post the ads. Now, I'm down to "only" about 30. :p

Reactions: Hyjynx and csthe

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
It helps to have a one in, one out policy. To buy a new watch I "have" to sell another. This way I buy only watches I'm sure I wants and sell only the ones I don't wear.
Otherwise I'll just keep buying... :)

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I have bought a lot and have sold a lot. I have been purging a lot recently. I've let go some which I really love, the three TCs for example. The reason, I need to spend the money somewhere else. That's pretty much the only motivator for me or else I would be too lazy to take all the pics, edit them and post the ads. Now, I'm down to "only" about 30. :p

You flooded the market with APs. Lol