• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica residual values

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
Purely an observation, but would welcome people’s thoughts.
whilst browsing the replica sales threads, I noticed that used watches seem to fetch strong money, often maybe 90% of the td price.
great news, and not complaining, as it seems if you buy new and look after your watch, you loose very little when you decide to move it on.
my question is, is it the ease of ordering m2m that helps, and perhaps people are nervous of ordering from td’s Because of the wait and potential customs issues, or am I missing something?
personally am happy to order from members, and have purchased 2 recently, and am very pleased with both.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
my question is, is it the ease of ordering m2m that helps, and perhaps people are nervous of ordering from td’s Because of the wait and potential customs issues....

You’re damn skippy! There’s your answer right there!

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Purely an observation, but would welcome people’s thoughts.
whilst browsing the replica sales threads, I noticed that used watches seem to fetch strong money, often maybe 90% of the td price.
great news, and not complaining, as it seems if you buy new and look after your watch, you loose very little when you decide to move it on.
my question is, is it the ease of ordering m2m that helps, and perhaps people are nervous of ordering from td’s Because of the wait and potential customs issues, or am I missing something?
personally am happy to order from members, and have purchased 2 recently, and am very pleased with both.

I get back what I paid. I normally will sell to someone looking for a watch I have. They get a barely worn watch, no delay in shipping, no customs fears, a current QC and timegraph reading, and the best packaging around.

While I am not in it to profiteer I am not in it to lossiteer either. We all end up happy.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I always sell for less than I paid. Even if it’s just $5 and even if it’s a hot watch. That’s part of being a community. I always chuckle when I see “just wanting to get back what I paid.” Really? You mean you don’t want to make money off your RWI friends? Remember, when it comes to customs issues, TDs reship if seized. Members do not. TDs also guarantee a working watch. Members do not.

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
Good to get opinions.
as has been said, it’s a combination of things, ease of payment probably helps, as td is not going to accept PayPal unless you’re a regular customer.
i’m sure the payment process is a bit daunting to people who are not familiar with anything other than card or PayPal.

Martycus

Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Eventually the price will hit a floor and remain there or depending on market and needs, the price can start trending upwards.

Whatever the price is for an item, it will be whatever the buyer pays for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
This is why I mostly buy from TDs. Only for hard to get or discontinued pieces I use m2m...

It is not worth to buy used watches without delivery guarantee for 85-95% of the price.

Reactions: Rustknuckle

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
The reps certainly represent good value.
Gives people the chance to own a few watches that may possibly be unrealistic to buy, and providing there kept tidy, you can move them on, and loose considerably less than you would on most gens.
although it’s nice to have some gens.

Reactions: Katarsis

Palace

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/18
Germany
I cannot afford genuine watches (student) but I am a huge watch fan.
There are still genuine watches I'd LOVE to buy in the future (Omega Aqua Terra, Moonwatch) but for now, replicas have to take their spot.
I'm not trying to pull them off as genuine - I like the design and the story behind the manufacturer and the watches itself.
To me personally, watches are more of a piece of art than an accessory.
My phone, or a cheap Casio, keep better time than an automatic watch - but that's not the point. I'm mesmerized by looking at the nicely made dials, sweeping second hand or the finish on those watches.

Just my two cents.

Edit:

Oh, and I wouldn't mind getting something from a TD - I have more control over them than from M2M (reship in case of seizure, exchange in case of bad quality control etc.)
And there are many people wanting to get back the money they paid, even though they've worn the watch.
I'd rather get a new watch from a TD than a used one from a member not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Gordo0220

16/2/19
For me the only reason I'd buy from m2m is the shipping time. The prices m2m are not that much cheaper and buying from a TD gives you the opportunity to QC but with the current delays m2m seems the way to go. Good watches are selling quick m2m.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I mean it's a depreciating asset when you look at it... lets say you expect it to have a 10 year lifespan.

$500 / 10 years (assuming residual balance of $0) = $50 a year depreciation (straight line for all you accounting fiends)

So I think it's reasonable to deduct around $50 a year for normal wear and tear on a $500 watch.

And that's just a bog standard rep... a lot of members service them so that adds value or do slight mods to them. Which also adds value in materials and labour (time) (known as added value)

So that's why the residuals are pretty good, because most the reps you're seeing are slightly modded / under a year old.

Reactions: Tucker

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
When watches are used...They should be sold as such. No issue with someone trying to get close to what they paid on a catch and release.
I don't understand the mindset of wanting what you paid 6 months, 1 or 2 or even 5 years later. That's flat out wrong imho.
If the watch is no longer in production, well that's different.
Play fair gents and this hobby will be good to you.

Doofus76

Looking Around
28/6/19
I am a new member and was definitely attracted to the M2M sales section for the reasons you highlighted - especially the "unknown" of picking and using a TD and the whole customs issue

I do still feel the need to do the whole process though - so the replica watch itch has not been scratched yet...

wallyvon

31/1/19
I think one does well trading with both, and should not take up this hobby looking to break even.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
The thrill of the hunt is a big part of it for me.

One part is waiting for the watch you have an itch for popping up m2m. When it does you have to be fast and pull the trigger. Not to fast to miss out on a off centre date but fast enough get the trophy.

The other part is looking at all the other watches that come up for sale. Finding new ones you never thought you would like and discovering pieces that was made years ago and isn't manufactured anymore.

Besides this, you get to see the awesome Frankensteins and vintage and/or special builds that always amazes me even though I'm not buying them.

Circarama

Supporter
Certified
21/6/18
Sunny California
Used prices run the gamut depending on the seller. I’ve seen guys who expect to lose nothing and I’ve seen guys who are, frankly, over-generous in their price reductions. I like the second kind better, lol.

I think it has to be said though, that one of the things that seems to be unspoken is how some members are less than transparent about condition when selling a used watch. Be it running condition, extra links, missing screws, etc., I’ve had my fair share of “issues” with used watches and had to work out a resolution after the sale. Sometimes it’s an honest oversight, sometimes I’m not so sure. I guess that’s the risk one runs of buying something used that you can’t examine in person.

Having said all that, I’d be interested to hear other’s comments on valuations of discontinued reps that go UP in value (cough, TC, cough, PloProf) and where the line is on resale pricing.

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
I always sell for less than I paid. Even if it’s just $5 and even if it’s a hot watch. That’s part of being a community. I always chuckle when I see “just wanting to get back what I paid.” Really? You mean you don’t want to make money off your RWI friends? Remember, when it comes to customs issues, TDs reship if seized. Members do not. TDs also guarantee a working watch. Members do not.

Word on that brother. I wish everybuddy think the same way..

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: Pdatoon

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
Well some interesting views.
gotta agree, we all want the best price when we sell one of our collection.
But I chuckle when as has been said people claim the watch as hardly been worn, but they want back nearly what they paid for it.
i must try that with my next car sale.
i have been fortunate with my three recent purchases, and long may it continue.
But it’s when you receive one, and it dies shortly after.
Then when you have paid close to the td price, it doesn’t seem such a good idea, unless you can agree something with the seller.
the ease of m2m purchase is undoubtedly appealing, but you have to be realistic, you can’t expect to get back what you paid, but accept none of the risk be it customs, failure or any other issue.

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Speaking for myself, I bought only m2m until last week where I made my first TD purchase. It wasn't because of customs issues or the wait, but mainly because the payment systems that most TDs use are so unconventional to me that I got too turned off to use them until I saw a newly released piece I just had to get. Luckily TransferWise is very simple to use, but I'm still adverse to using BTC as a payment option.