• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can you put a quartz movement into a sub rep? (stop gasping and spitting your coffee on the screen)

Rolex Luthor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/18
Would a watchmaker be able to put a HAQ (High Accuracy Quartz) movement or one of the new sweeping second hand quartz's or any quartz movement for that matter into a Noob V8 for example?

Mav2000

10/1/19
I guess you are talking about a Seiko VK movement. It's an interesting idea...don't know if it can be done, but definitely interested to see where this goes.

qqraxtt

MULTI ACCOUNT
19/5/19
I would love to know this as well. I am interested in watches not because of mechanical movements but despite them. I'm interested in looks and style only (blasphemy, I know).

Putting a sweeping quartz mvt into a nice case would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor

8/6/18
I'd go the Submariner 114060 no date to make it as easy as possible, but can it be done?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
In theory it's possible, but you need different hands with the proper diameter posts, correct stem, a custom movement holder, clip the feet of the dial....shall I continue? after all this time money and work you end up with a watch that has one of the biggest tells out there it's a replica.. a ticking movement. You could try and cannibalize a Bulova precisionist to get the sweeping motion of the second hand. This has been discussed before, I've never seen anyone's project coming to fruitation. personally I'd like to see this successfully done as it would be nice to have a piece which doesn't have to be wound.

Rolex Luthor

8/6/18
In theory it's possible, but you need different hands with the proper diameter posts, correct stem, a custom movement holder, clip the feet of the dial....shall I continue? after all this time money and work you end up with a watch that has one of the biggest tells out there it's a replica.. a ticking movement. You could try and cannibalize a Bulova precisionist to get the sweeping motion of the second hand. This has been discussed before, I've never seen anyone's project coming to fruitation. personally I'd like to see this successfully done as it would be nice to have a piece which doesn't have to be wound.

Thanx for the info, I've got this microbrand diver from Time Arrow, same dimensions as the Rex with a Swiss Ronda 715Li quartz movement with 10 year battery, could most of what you said be accomplished by swapping the movement and hands etc out from that one into the Noob V8 no date Sub?

*I don't care about the tell, my clothes and car will give me away long before a watch does*

49191258_2308258402540211_8247906868542832640_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: catana1981

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You have the movement, hands and probably the stem covered. You need a donor watch and a modder to offer input on how to hold the movement in place. Any idea the size of the movement?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Remember you may have to have the hands relumed unless they are close to the dial in color tone.

Rolex Luthor

8/6/18
You have the movement, hands and probably the stem covered. You need a donor watch and a modder to offer input on how to hold the movement in place. Any idea the size of the movement?
715Li / 4.6 mm 11½''', 25.60 mm.

And yeah lume on these hands is horrible.

Last edited:

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18

Isn't the movement holder the easiest part for factories to fabricate? It's just a piece of cheap plastic that keeps it in place, like those you find on $5 quartz watches. Or am I missing something?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
the ETA 955 quartz series has the same size, 11.5"' , but different hand size and height, maybe with a spacer ring...the 101,11,121 and 401 have a sweep second

Reactions: gilrob

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Isn't the movement holder the easiest part for factories to fabricate? It's just a piece of cheap plastic that keeps it in place, like those you find on $5 quartz watches. Or am I missing something?

There is probably a plastic movement holder in yours, but not sure if it will be the correct size. Yes, they can be fabricated out of plastic or metal. Whoever does the conversion make sure they are able to make one.

apograph

Horology Curious
16/10/17
@Rolex Luthor: Did you continue with the project? Also Looking into potentially trying this in the future, mainly to get a thinner Royal Oak with closed caseback (As the Bulova P102 is 2.9mm compared to the Myota 9015 with 3.9mm without deco plate) Any info you could share on your build would be amazing!