• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HELP Rolex Experts

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
may be picking up a used gen 1988 oyster perpetual datejust today. Going to a jeweler/repair shop to verify, but know the best reps can almost fool anyone. It’s a SS/18K bezel version in silver. What should I be looking for as tells on a best fake of this model?

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
Others will know more about the details of the dial, bezel, etc. If it is a 1988 serial number, it will probably have a caliber 3035 movement. But, it could also have a caliber 3135 as the 3135 was introduced in 1988. If the watchmaker is experienced, he should be able to tell if the movement is genuine or clone. I hope this helps.

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
as GMT1675 mentioned, I would take it to a reliable/knowledgeable watchmaker - who has worked/familiar with Rolex movement.

unless it's quite obvious, the watchmaker will have to look inside at the movement, to my knowledge they have not perfected faking the watch movement, an experienced watchmaker can tell the difference right away