• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Rolex Explorer 2 dilemma

Russell66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/19
This is a cheapy Gate offering. Were talking $11.00

The Dilemma is this...

I don't think Rolex have ever produced this watch, the Explorer has either a Black or White dial.

Now this watch on one hand is pretty incredible for $11.00. But on the other hand not really. If you go down your local Kmart or Walmart (depending on which country you reside) once we get past the name that is on the watch, you'll see there are some pretty cool well made watches for between $10 and $20, so we can quickly conclude it's not that expensive to produce a quality watch.

However we all know thats not the point of a name brand or a replica of a name brand, so a premium must be expected and paid.

My Dilemma has nothing to do with that...

The Dilemma... Forget quality, and authenticity, I love the look of this watch in it's own right. But once you pay more they stop producing the watch with this face. I think the Yacht Master has this colour face but its a little smaller i belief 40mm vs 42mm. And also the outer more robust dial would i think take away from the overall look.

The other thing is i believe this is Hardlex not really the choice in the Gen world, I tend to try to look for Sapphire, yet it is really clean and crisp looking and my point of view is changing.

This watch just seems right.

I wonder if the Rep community have ever partitioned Rolex to make a new Gen so that it can be authentically Replicated so we in the Rep world would fell suitably vindicated and significant enough to own a Rep of the Gen, if that makes sense.

Come on Rolex keep up with the awesome designers in the Rep world, this is a good looking watch and you only have 2 types of Explorer.

Anyway let me know if I am missing something and there is a Gen of this watch and so a better quality Rep out there.

Review: Brief quick review of what to expect from the gate regarding Rolex between about $10 and $15 bucks

Feel: Feels pretty good, decent weight.

Finish: Pretty much what you would expect from a new watch, nicely polished on the case and the glass is great. Stated as Hardlex. The markings are reasonable, nothing on the Rehaut and no etching on the glass

Function: The hands don't line up properly and the clasp although adequate is loose. The GMT hand only moves together with the other hour hand. The winder whilst fine when in place is very loose when setting the time, it is possible but you have to be careful.

Bracelet: It's light but nice, you can change the links but it is tricky and certainly not Rolex.

Movement: At this price obviously quatrz, which no matter how cheap do appear to keep time accurately.

Overall: Really looks great for the price. If the GMT hand functioned and the Hands lined up (when its 12pm the hour hand is not at the 12) i would of been happy. As it is the watch is a nice bracelet nothing more. The only point of buying at this price is, it's a cheap way to see if you like the look on your wrist before investing more. Wallmart offer better quality for similar money.

Caveat: I am not a Gen or Rep expert, these are just a few brief thoughts that someone may find useful, Your knowledge of a Gen and a good Rep is almost certainly more than mine.

Cheers Russell

Russell66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/19
This is my first Rolex by the way, a brand I had zero interest in until I found this site. And now after a lot of ready I have become strangely infatuated by them.