• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stupid question, but not so stupid.

carlosmelimac

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/19
So im looking to buy a watch case automatic ... My question is: So this cases keep moving so the automatic watches keep on spinning and the watch neves stops. Could this be a problem to reps?!

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
So im looking to buy a watch case automatic ... My question is: So this cases keep moving so the automatic watches keep on spinning and the watch neves stops. Could this be a problem to reps?!

:confused::confused::confused:

mottykytu

4/6/13
He mean a watch winder lol,

the more the watch run the closer it come to next service!!!

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Every movement will need service. If you can have it serviced right after you have got it, it's better.
If you like parking your watch in a watch winder, do it.
May it need regulation sooner than if you leave it in a case but i believe that is better to work in many axis than sitting on a side
allowing greases, that we don't know their quality, to lure debris and eventually stack in places that we need clean.

Read about your movements, find a local watch smith, be gentle and honest about your rep watch and make him understand that
you will be his regular customer because you like your watches.

No one can avoid service or the need of an experienced professional. Most important; no one has ever gain by avoid it. ;)

Reactions: freediver

carlosmelimac

30/5/19
Every movement will need service. If you can have it serviced right after you have got it, it's better.
If you like parking your watch in a watch winder, do it.
May it need regulation sooner than if you leave it in a case but i believe that is better to work in many axis than sitting on a side
allowing greases, that we don't know their quality, to lure debris and eventually stack in places that we need clean.

Read about your movements, find a local watch smith, be gentle and honest about your rep watch and make him understand that
you will be his regular customer because you like your watches.

No one can avoid service or the need of an experienced professional. Most important; no one has ever gain by avoid it. ;)

Well thanks for your time and clear info. I suposed you have some experience with high end reps so being honest here, i have 6 gens 4 automatic never had any service. The oldest one is a orient like really old .. The 1 reps i got are PP nautilus "dhgate". So what im asking is:how long does it take to a REP watch from ZF, NOOB for needing a service? Thank you one more time for your time giving info.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Well thanks for your time and clear info. I suposed you have some experience with high end reps so being honest here, i have 6 gens 4 automatic never had any service. The oldest one is a orient like really old .. The 1 reps i got are PP nautilus "dhgate". So what im asking is:how long does it take to a REP watch from ZF, NOOB for needing a service? Thank you one more time for your time giving info.

until it need to be service...

in fact, generally some automatic watch can run for decades without service

and you have to tell your-self that your watch need to be service if

1/ you think it is the right time

2/ it not keep the time accurate anymore

3/ it stop to work

3.5/ you just drop/ding it very hard ...

carlosmelimac

30/5/19
until it need to be service...

in fact, generally some automatic watch can run for decades without service

and you have to tell your-self that your watch need to be service if

1/ you think it is the right time

2/ it not keep the time accurate anymore

3/ it stop to work

3.5/ you just drop/ding it very hard ...

Got it! Thank you

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17

I can't say that i have great experience with hi end reps. I have experience that allow me to be careful when i feel something wrong.
Gen watches came generally in better shape. Their price and legacy justify such level of quality.
Not always but most of time.
If a watch is sitting for years in its' box, we can't know what's happening.

I think that we have to know the basics about our movements.
A hi beat movement (28800vph) will be more "fragile" than a 21600vph,
a crown that feels "heavier" than its' usual should be checked.

Answering your question;
A rep watch should be considered "to be serviced" from day one.
If we like to carefully use it and have in mind that the most pricey feature that we have avoid is QC, could be fine.

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
I wouldn't say it's a problem. The mechanism is like a cars engine. Both will need looking at and servicing at regular intervals.
I enjoy picking one of my watches up, setting the time and date and giving it a quick flick of the wrist to start it up. I enjoy more actually winding up my watches, it gives you time to appreciate them. They are not there just to tell the time.

Reactions: carlosmelimac

carlosmelimac

30/5/19
I can't say that i have great experience with hi end reps. I have experience that allow me to be careful when i feel something wrong.
Gen watches came generally in better shape. Their price and legacy justify such level of quality.
Not always but most of time.
If a watch is sitting for years in its' box, we can't know what's happening.

I think that we have to know the basics about our movements.
A hi beat movement (28800vph) will be more "fragile" than a 21600vph,
a crown that feels "heavier" than its' usual should be checked.

Answering your question;
A rep watch should be considered "to be serviced" from day one.
If we like to carefully use it and have in mind that the most pricey feature that we have avoid is QC, could be fine.

Thank you a lot really! Clear info. Im keeping my normal box. And i will try to find a trust watch smith.

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
Hand winding this is great. It's a very tactile watch.

VguaU8.jpg