• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for second opinion on possible scratch/damage on a watch's bezel

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
Hi

Myself I qualify that to ask for bezel replacement yet I would like to get a second opinion whether you would consider those particular marks as a damage on a new watch.

(Those aren't shades or dirt as they are visible on every photo from different angles).

Album (1 full size and 2 zooms on mentioned above marks):
https://imgur.com/a/tM850oo

Thanks

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Not a bid deal at all.

mottykytu

4/6/13
Well Not anyone will see it, stay calm for weeks and see if it is bother u or not

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
those were QC pics ?

did you ask the TD if it could be wiped off ?

Yes, I asked for confirmation whether this is just a smudge or a damage (awaiting answer) but then I caught myself wondering AITA. Judging by replies from fellow, experienced members it turned out that I was :( oh well — that's life, not first and probably not last time

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yes, I asked for confirmation whether this is just a smudge or a damage (awaiting answer) but then I caught myself wondering AITA. Judging by replies from fellow, experienced members it turned out that I was :( oh well — that's life, not first and probably not last time

well i hope you keep us posted as to your outcomes , i for one am curious

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
The dealer confirmed that this was just dirt and sent different photos, from different angle on which it's not visible anymore.

I thanked them, accepted the QC photos and asked to proceed with the order. I'll post in this topic upon watch arrival, hopefully with good outcome and to be able to leave a very positive review for the dealer.

Reactions: Rx4Time and gilrob

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
I promised to post an update.

The bezel doesn't have scratches in those places but the movement is dead (rotor spins without 'running' the watch)... I guess I preferred the scratches instead. Looks like a new watch will instantly cost me a watch smith. Not cool :(

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Regarding the faulty rotor... Can you manually wind the crown? If yes, is the watching then ticking? Perhaps the rotor is not properly screwed down... May be an easy fix.

Reactions: ringodingo

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
Regarding the faulty rotor... Can you manually wind the crown? If yes, is the watching then ticking? Perhaps the rotor is not properly screwed down... May be an easy fix.

When I'm trying to manually wind the crown, I can see some gears moving (the A8900 movement is somewhat transparent), but not the rotor (the rotor looks like it tries to move but can't -- however if I just gravitationaly try to move it, it will). The watch won't start, it doesn't tick and I can't see any gears moving after I stop winding the crown. Also while winding the crown, the seconds hand wont move but I don't know if that's correct as well as I don't know if rotor should even be moving when I'm winding the crown.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
When I'm trying to manually wind the crown, I can see some gears moving (the A8900 movement is somewhat transparent), but not the rotor (the rotor looks like it tries to move but can't -- however if I just gravitationaly try to move it, it will). The watch won't start, it doesn't tick and I can't see any gears moving after I stop winding the crown. Also while winding the crown, the seconds hand wont move but I don't know if that's correct as well as I don't know if rotor should even be moving when I'm winding the crown.

When the watches are in transport it can be a pretty rough ride from China. The rotor should not move while you are winding the watch. The rotor moves with the natural movement of your wrist/arm. The purpose of the rotor is to keep the watch wound while you are wearing it...it’s an automatic movement. However, you should start by unscrewing the crown and winding it up 30 times or so. Pull out the crown to the correct positions and set the date and time. Screw the crown back down. If the seconds hand still doesn’t move give a watch a few soft thumps on your knee. If you don’t understand the process check out the videos on YouTube.

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
When the watches are in transport it can be a pretty rough ride from China. The rotor should not move while you are winding the watch. The rotor moves with the natural movement of your wrist/arm. The purpose of the rotor is to keep the watch wound while you are wearing it...it’s an automatic movement. However, you should start by unscrewing the crown and winding it up 30 times or so. Pull out the crown to the correct positions and set the date and time. Screw the crown back down. If the seconds hand still doesn’t move give a watch a few soft thumps on your knee. If you don’t understand the process check out the videos on YouTube.

I set the time/date and was winding the crown many times while in unscrewed position but not changing time. Humped it few times too. Unfortunately no budge :(

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I set the time/date and was winding the crown many times while in unscrewed position but not changing time. Humped it few times too. Unfortunately no budge :(

That sucks. Unfortunately, that happens with rep watches. If you buy enough of them you will get an occasional dud. The TD will offer to fix it if you send it back. Do not ship it back. Find a local watchsmith. Where are you located?

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
That sucks. Unfortunately, that happens with rep watches. If you buy enough of them you will get an occasional dud. The TD will offer to fix it if you send it back. Do not ship it back. Find a local watchsmith. Where are you located?

I'm located in Auckland, NZ and I'm about to get in contact with a smith that repaired some of my watches before. I hope he'll be able to fix it, 8900 doesn't seem like a popular movement.

Bad luck for the first rep. I can only complain about the shipping method as they charged for express courier while sending it via "better" chinese post aka EMS.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I'm located in Auckland, NZ and I'm about to get in contact with a smith that repaired some of my watches before. I hope he'll be able to fix it, 8900 doesn't seem like a popular movement.

Bad luck for the first rep. I can only complain about the shipping method as they charged for express courier while sending it via "better" chinese post aka EMS.

You need to leave it up to the TDs as to how they want to ship since they are guaranteeing delivery. I never pay for expedited. It may be something very simple like a loose piece of metal or a screw. Let us know what your watchsmith says. Good luck.

ringodingo

Horology Curious
31/10/18
Australia
I've been to watchsmith. He managed to fix the movement although couldn't identify what was blocking the wheel. He said that it's possible that there is some tiny piece of metal that might occasionally give information about it's presence by blocking something else once again and it'll be hard to find unless you overhaul the watch. For now it's running and fingers crossed I guess. He said although that it's a fine piece and looks really well as for the fact that it's a rep. The only comment (regarding the issue itself) was that (if I understood correctly) Chinese metal parts are often made of materials that break (crack) easier than Swiss or Japanese which could happen during rough shipment. He tested it on this funny machine that checks seconds per day discrepancy under various movement positions and made a joke that it beat rolex in accuracy :p

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I've been to watchsmith. He managed to fix the movement although couldn't identify what was blocking the wheel. He said that it's possible that there is some tiny piece of metal that might occasionally give information about it's presence by blocking something else once again and it'll be hard to find unless you overhaul the watch. For now it's running and fingers crossed I guess. He said although that it's a fine piece and looks really well as for the fact that it's a rep. The only comment (regarding the issue itself) was that (if I understood correctly) Chinese metal parts are often made of materials that break (crack) easier than Swiss or Japanese which could happen during rough shipment. He tested it on this funny machine that checks seconds per day discrepancy under various movement positions and made a joke that it beat rolex in accuracy :p

That’s good news. I thought it might be something like that. Enjoy your watch.