• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Acknowledgement of how good reps are getting from the high end review site

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Wasn’t going to wade in, but I thought you said we don’t all have to agree. It seems though, when people don’t you’re telling them they are living in a dream or in denial?

I just think it’s delussional to think a rep matches a gen. That’s just my opinion. And not everyone buy reps to flash them off as gens. I’m sorry if I came across too harsh. Of course we don’t all have to agree.

I’m here to learn and share passion for watches and I have learned a lot from people like you.

Last edited:

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
I totally agree with the above comments by sn95 Natas78 and mech500. it's not all black and white. There are many gens not at all worth their price.

I forget which one but there was a limited edition pam a few years ago and they literally dropped in a stock eta with no engravings on it at all, closed caseback $140 reps had more detail than this almost 5 figure panerai.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I forget which one but there was a limited edition pam a few years ago and they literally dropped in a stock eta with no engravings on it at all, closed caseback $140 reps had more detail than this almost 5 figure panerai.

haha exactly.. and that's totally crazy. Breitling does it all the time. No in-house movements. Omega goes as far to put quartz in many of their watches. I was stupid enough some years ago to buy my wife an Omega with a Quartz movement. It cost me what translates to 3100 USD. I know better today. Many of the recognized brands uses movements that are not made in-house.

Reactions: Doc_Savage and sn95

applez

Known Member
5/8/14
Florida
I wear a rep like its gen. Feelings are not different. I love the quality of a high end rep for a model I adore. I do like how people think I've got nerves of steel for wearing a 5k watch like it's a $10 armitron. I dont have nerves of steel :D . And most know I drive a older but higher end relable car because I'm smart. This is just me, not you.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Whatever. Keep living in your dream world. There is no point arguing. You will just keep insisting that the fakes are just as good as the gens. As for second hand gens I don’t wtf you going on about. But of course price and quality of second hand watches will vary.

I love this hobby and my reps. They look great and it gives me a chance to try out and wear a bunch of nice watches. But I’m not dumb enough to claim the the quality and finish is no where near a gen. They are great toys.

Take Rolex.

On ARF the paint will fade or flake off the bezel. On the gen it’s platinum plated. The hands are steel and look NOTHING like the Rolex white gold ones. The dial looks all wrong. The date is bold and look like crap. The midcase is fat and chunky. The bracelet is good but of course not identical to a gen lol. The cyclops look like crap. The general finish is nothing like a gen. I certainly don’t need a loupe to tell a gen is completely different level of quality. And of course the cal 3135 movement is unmatched. Have you ever taken off the back of a rep Rolex and looked inside? You will be shocked about the sheer amount of dirt in there. It somtimes looks like it was taken out of the engine of an old car.

I’ll stop wasting my time and let you continue to live in denial.

I hope we at least share a gen passion for great watches. I love reps and gens alike for what they are.

All true, and I can usually tell a fake just by touch. But the newest fakes are worlds above what they were 10 years ago, and the Omega Spectre rep I bought a few months back kind of shocked me. It's finish is up there with Seiko. certainly not Omega level, but I'm impressed for the price.

Reactions: xartan

bigkat725

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/19
For someone in my position (young professional, just out of college) I think the world of reps offers me a unique opportunity. I only discovered this site about a week ago. Before that I was reading Hodinkee for years. The fact that I was potentially willing to wait 5 more years to purchase my first "serious" watch was hard to stomach when I've been passionate about them for so long. Now that I have discovered this alternative option, I can already get the joy of weighing down my wrist for substantially less. For some pieces, a rep will only be a test; With future success, I could imagine the rep giving way to a real version. For other references (6263 Paul Newman, a watch that starts at around $500,000), a rep gives me the ability to wear and enjoy this watch that I will likely never see in the metal.

zdaytona-6263.jpg

Jbrahm

30/10/18
You don’t understand a fuck of what I’m saying. Of course owning a fake doesn’t make you fake. I have several and I love them and I’m not a fake person. Pretending it’s a gen and lying about it makes you fake.

You obviously don’t know shit about what you’re talking about if you think a cheap chinese rep that costs a fraction of a gen is as good as a 10 or 50 k watch. But go on dreaming.

Wow!!! What?!!! You tell him Conor McGregor!

In all seriousness, I have to agree with the other guy. The reps are improving in quality so fast, it's crazy. I don't think you can buy a gen that is as good quality as an ARF sub for the same price. I know because I've bought some microbrands and some Seikos and they just don't come close to the fit and feel of the high end reps. Those Squales and Gnomon stuff are terrible. So saying gen is always better then rep is ignorant. The quality of reps are certainly higher than watches of the same price IMO. Not at Omega level, but above microbrands, Citizens, and cheap Seikos. Sure they are dirty, but we are not all so entitled that we can't just get a service without complaining. I guess that's why some of us are in this hobby. We appreciate the engineering. I don't necessarily appreciate paying some bloke to brush my watch for a thousand hours though. For $700, I can get a Daytona movement with a column wheel. That movement alone beats everything in its price range easily. After my experience with NWBIG reps, I am ALOT more critical of gens. I want to see where my money is going. Extra brushing just doesn't cut it. Complete waste of time and money especially after one polish removes everything.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I'm not gonna waste anymore time arguing over this. Of course a rep can be better than some cheap gen of another make and model. My point was about a rep vs the same gen. In my opinion a lot of people have a hard time accepting that a rep will not be as good as the gen of the watch and I guess that's ok even if I think it's delusional.

I already apologized for getting carried away and being a bit harsh. I stand by my point of view, though. You calling me names is not gonna change that.

Now let's all enjoy our common passion for watches gens and reps alike.

Last edited:

kobexu

23/5/19
I'm not gonna waste anymore time arguing over this. Of course a rep can be better than some cheap gen of another make and model. My point was about a rep vs the same gen. In my opinion a lot of people have a hard time accepting that a rep will not be as good as the gen of the watch and I guess that's ok even if I think it's delusional.

I already apologized for getting carried away and being a bit harsh. I stand by my point of view, though. You calling me names is not gonna change that.

Now let's all enjoy our common passion for watches gens and reps alike.

While I agree with your point about comparing a rep to a gen on quality is laughable, at the end of the day most reps don't even guarantee water resistance. I also appreciate very much those who can afford gen watches and choose to buy them, without them this industry won't exist.

I do however think you're in no position to judge others, at the end of the day you bought a fake watch, like the rest of us, your motives don't justify your action. Also, I don't understand why people have to justify their spending to others. It's your money, spend however you like, for flexing or passion, whatever flows your boat.

HugoBugo

26/6/18
Germany

I have to say, that i´m to greedy for a gen. But for the feeling and for myself i just buy rep watches that i could afford in real life. With this attitude you will not get the question from others "Is this a gen?"
IMHO reps are to good, even if i was not to greedy i wouldn´t buy a gen, because i know now, how good the reps are.

I would say, buy what you want and what makes you feel good. I dont cry if my 500€ watch is broken, but if i had a watch that cost 5000-15000€ i wouldnt definitely cry a long time :cry:

Jbrahm

30/10/18
So I was fortunate enough to get a Noob Daytona V2.2 before the vacation from my TD. While watching the video and holding the Noob up to my face, I cannot actually see those flaws that are magnified in the video. What are the real tells if you were the hold it side by side with the real one without a loupe?

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
Everyone:

Xartan: "We don't have to agree"

Everyone: "Oh ok, we disagree"

Xartan: "You are delusional and you live in a dream world"

Everyone:

Sound like me discussing my family relations!!! Glad to see the balance of the world is as screwed up as my gene pool!!!!

Reactions: mari115