• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Acknowledgement of how good reps are getting from the high end review site

Doc_Savage

Amor Fati
Supporter
Certified
18/3/19
Michigan
...The fakes would probably fool most people if that’s your goal given it fits your personality and general life style. It doesn’t make much sense to me if your watch is more pricy than your house or you drive an old crappy car and wear an AP rose gold that costs 300k. That’s the kind of stuff that usually give it away to me.
This exactly. I own a Gen SS Submariner, so it makes sense for me to have rep SS Sub or Explorer, etc.

I would love to wear a Gold Sub or Gold Presidential Day Date, but nobody's going to buy that on my wrist.

Doc

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Fake stuff gives me a different feeling than the real thing. To me they are great toy watches and I don’t lie about them being fake. For me the quality of gens is a completely different league. Don’t get me wrong. I love my reps for what they are.

The fakes would probably fool most people if that’s your goal given it fits your personality and general life style. It doesn’t make much sense to me if your watch is more pricy than your house or you drive an old crappy car and wear an AP rose gold that costs 300k. That’s the kind of stuff that usually give it away to me.

I don't agree with you that the quality of the gens is a completely different league. Mostly when i have a gen in my hand i'm disappointed with it. It's only if you look at A Lange & Sôhne, some Pateks, some Vacherons, independent watchmakers like F. P. Journe etc. Then you can say they are a completely different league. But we are talking watches above 27000 USD. Out of reach of more than 99% of the Earths population.
All the other brands. For example having a Breitling, Rolex submariner, Jaeger LeCoultre RG ultra thin moon or a portofino or portuguese IWC in the hand i can tell you there isn't much difference in the weight, finish or over all impression between a gen and a rep. Mostly i'm disappointed. The mentioned JLC sells for 18000 USD here.

Yes there is a difference in how long the watch will last as a rep probably won't last as long as a gen. But the reps have become better quality wise. I also think most gens are treated better with regular service etc. Any how by the time the rep breaks you can still buy 39 more reps for the price of one gen. It won't last forever either.

The difference in precision doesn't matter IMO, as even the best mechanical watches can't beat an ordinary Quartz in precision and most of the gens aren't that precise.

And what is it with Swiss watches these days?? They are charging the price of cars and houses for tiny watches. It's totally insane from a rational point of view. They do it because they can. Not because a Tourbillon watch is worth a family house. If so how come a IW 5463 Tourbillon rep, looking almost exactly like the gen can be bought for 700USD, while the gen costs 50000USD.

What you feel wearing them is a personal thing. Can't rationally disagree with a feeling.

Last edited:

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
We don’t have to agree. To me fakes are just that, fakes. Great toys. And I love them for that and I love this hobby and the community and all the knowledge here. But they will never be the real thing to me and that’s not my goal either.

I hear you can buy fake porches in China too.

Maybe you can buy fake houses too. You could build up a whole fake life really cheap :D

Last edited:

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I don't agree with you that the quality of the gens is a completely different league. Mostly when i have a gen in my hand i'm disappointed with it. It's only if you look at A Lange & Sôhne, some Pateks, some Vacherons, independent watchmakers like F. P. Journe etc. Then you can say they are a completely different league. But we are talking watches above 27000 USD. Out of reach of more than 99% of the Earths population.
All the other brands. For example having a Breitling, Rolex submariner, Jaeger LeCoultre RG ultra thin moon or a portofino or portuguese IWC in the hand i can tell you there isn't much difference in the weight, finish or over all impression between a gen and a rep. Mostly i'm disappointed. The mentioned JLC sells for 18000 USD here.

Yes there is a difference in how long the watch will last as a rep probably won't last as long as a gen. But the reps have become better quality wise. I also think most gens are treated better with regular service etc. Any how by the time the rep breaks you can still buy 39 more reps for the price of one gen. It won't last forever either.

The difference in precision doesn't matter IMO, as even the best mechanical watches can't beat an ordinary Quartz in precision and most of the gens aren't that precise.

And what is it with Swiss watches these days?? They are charging the price of cars and houses for tiny watches. It's totally insane from a rational point of view. They do it because they can. Not because a Tourbillon watch is worth a family house. If so how come a IW 5463 Tourbillon rep, looking almost exactly like the gen can be bought for 700USD, while the gen costs 50000USD.

What you feel wearing them is a personal thing. Can't rationally disagree with a feeling.

They charge that for tourbillions because often it's one or two watchmakers actually making the watch, and it takes a very long time to do. sometimes that's all one guy does for a year. All those little parts are hand finished, and perfect if you examine them under a loupe.

All mechanical watches are luxury items now. I can understand you not wanting to pay that for them, but there is a big difference in what goes into a Chinese tourbillion and a Swiss tourbillion. And that's what you're paying for.
You aren't paying for function.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
amplitude true that. Although many gens dont have the quality and work put into them which can justify the high prices. Few pieces are made like you are saying and the price is just. But then all the others just tag along.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
xartan I don't think owning an expensive gen or a cheap rep, makes ones life more or less fake.

On the contrary if owning things - rep or gen - makes ones life fake or real then there is a bigger problem :)

You don’t understand a fuck of what I’m saying. Of course owning a fake doesn’t make you fake. I have several and I love them and I’m not a fake person. Pretending it’s a gen and lying about it makes you fake.

You obviously don’t know shit about what you’re talking about if you think a cheap chinese rep that costs a fraction of a gen is as good as a 10 or 50 k watch. But go on dreaming.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
You don’t understand a fuck of what I’m saying. Of course owning a fake doesn’t make you fake. I have several and I love them and I’m not a fake person. Pretending it’s a gen and lying about it makes you fake.

You obviously don’t know shit about what you’re talking about if you think a cheap chinese rep that costs a fraction of a gen is as good as a 10 or 50 k watch. But go on dreaming.

Chill mate. Sitting behind a computer screen with an alias doesn't release us from common courtesy or keeping a sober tone.

I know what i'm talking about. Go to an AD selling IWC, Breitling, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega. And feel the quality (=or lack of it), check the watches. The lack of details and work on them. Feel the assembly line production in them. My point is...They're not worth 10 or 20k.
Regarding 50k watches. As i said in my first post; I'm not talking about a 50k watch. The finishing and level of work put in it, and the quality will be on a whole other level, as you said yourself. My point is. Not all gens have this "completely different league" quality; Most of them don't.

Last edited:

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Chill mate. Sitting behind a computer screen with an alias doesn't release us from common courtesy or keeping a sober tone.

I know what i'm talking about. Go to an AD selling IWC, Breitling, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega. And feel the quality (=or lack of it), check the watches. The lack of details and work on them. Feel the assembly line production in them. My point is...They're not worth 10 or 20k.
Regarding 50k watches. As i said in my first post; I'm not talking about a 50k watch. The finishing and level of work put in it, and the quality will be on a whole other level, as you said yourself. My point is. Not all gens have this "completely different league" quality; Most of them don't.

I understood you the first time. Repeat it enough and you might convince yourself. I’m not buying any of it. Of course any gen of the brands you’re mentioning are not comparable to any rep. The level of detail and QC put into a gen Rolex is completely umatched by any rep produced in a dirty chinese mobile facility.

People like you have no compassion for watches and just want a status symbol to flash off for a fraction of what a gen costs.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
In my opinion as a gen and rep collector, the latest reps are simply too good to be true.

The factories have really stepped up their game (unless you want to inspect your reps under a loupe).

Take Zf calatrava or ultra thin moon. Amazing reps. I have/had more gen omegas than my local jewellery shop has seen in a decade and in my opinion the new vsf omegas are more than good enough. Hands are clean, dials are stunning, very well finished.

Then look at the Daytona reps...sorry I don’t buy the whole “gens are in a different league”. That simply isn’t the case unless we’re inspecting the movements under a loupe. Most used second hand gens for sale look like shit. The SELs are all over the place with even a few months wear and tear. Want me to prove it with videos?!

New ARF 904L bracelets look and feel completely gen to me...and I am an engineer by trade...so not a random bloke off the street who knows nothing about machining steel. Ok a brand new new bracelet feels a bit nicer than gen but you pick up a used hen bracelet that’s been polished once and it’ll feel same as rep for all intents and purposes.

Yes, gens are nice and I have a lot but it’s hard to appreciate the finishing on a gen Patek or AP unless you remove the caseback and inspect the polished screws with a loupe. Like anyone’s got time for that! Haha.

I like gens but my passion is with reps and with a lot of brands, it’s simply not worth buying gen IMO

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
I understood you the first time. Repeat it enough and you might convince yourself. I’m not buying any of it. Of course any gen of the brands you’re mentioning are not comparable to any rep. The level of detail and QC put into a gen Rolex is completely umatched by any rep produced in a dirty chinese mobile facility.

People like you have no compassion for watches and just want a status symbol to flash off for a fraction of what a gen costs.

Yeez man why the hostility?

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
In my opinion as a gen and rep collector, the latest reps are simply too good to be true.

The factories have really stepped up their game (unless you want to inspect your reps under a loupe).

Take Zf calatrava or ultra thin moon. Amazing reps. I have/had more gen omegas than my local jewellery shop has seen in a decade and in my opinion the new vsf omegas are more than good enough. Hands are clean, dials are stunning, very well finished.

Then look at the Daytona reps...sorry I don’t buy the whole “gens are in a different league”. That simply isn’t the case unless we’re inspecting the movements under a loupe. Most used second hand gens for sale look like shit. The SELs are all over the place with even a few months wear and tear. Want me to prove it with videos?!

New ARF 904L bracelets look and feel completely gen to me...and I am an engineer by trade...so not a random bloke off the street who knows nothing about machining steel. Ok a brand new new bracelet feels a bit nicer than gen but you pick up a used hen bracelet that’s been polished once and it’ll feel same as rep for all intents and purposes.

Yes, gens are nice and I have a lot but it’s hard to appreciate the finishing on a gen Patek or AP unless you remove the caseback and inspect the polished screws with a loupe. Like anyone’s got time for that! Haha.

I like gens but my passion is with reps and with a lot of brands, it’s simply not worth buying gen IMO

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

You're right, certain watches no point in buying gen. Some gens have crappy movements that cost thousands to get serviced, some gens have insane price tags and wait lists. But in some instances gens are better, if you could have purchased a gen 5711 before they became popular you could have tripled your money in only a few years.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Whatever. Keep living in your dream world. There is no point arguing. You will just keep insisting that the fakes are just as good as the gens. As for second hand gens I don’t wtf you going on about. But of course price and quality of second hand watches will vary.

I love this hobby and my reps. They look great and it gives me a chance to try out and wear a bunch of nice watches. But I’m not dumb enough to claim the the quality and finish is no where near a gen. They are great toys.

Take Rolex.

On ARF the paint will fade or flake off the bezel. On the gen it’s platinum plated. The hands are steel and look NOTHING like the Rolex white gold ones. The dial looks all wrong. The date is bold and look like crap. The midcase is fat and chunky. The bracelet is good but of course not identical to a gen lol. The cyclops look like crap. The general finish is nothing like a gen. I certainly don’t need a loupe to tell a gen is completely different level of quality. And of course the cal 3135 movement is unmatched. Have you ever taken off the back of a rep Rolex and looked inside? You will be shocked about the sheer amount of dirt in there. It somtimes looks like it was taken out of the engine of an old car.

I’ll stop wasting my time and let you continue to live in denial.

I hope we at least share a gen passion for great watches. I love reps and gens alike for what they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: sn95

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
xartan well it's great for you to be a mind reader knowing what other people think and what their motivations are. I wouldn't dare to guess your noble motives for buying rep watches.
I could only wonder what anyone with such noble motives is doing in a rep forum as certainly your motivation isn't to flash a rep watch. You must be really good at hiding your reps produced in a 'dirty Chinese factory'. I hope they are not too dirty.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
xartan well it's great for you to be a mind reader knowing what other people think and what their motivations are. I wouldn't dare to guess your noble motives for buying rep watches.
I could only wonder what anyone with such noble motives is doing in a rep forum as certainly your motivation isn't to flash a rep watch. You must be really good at hiding your reps produced in a 'dirty Chinese factory'. I hope they are not too dirty.

Get out of my hair now dude. If you bothered actually reading what I wrote you would know that I’m not against reps. That’s why I own several and enjoy wearing them. For my own sake. Not to flash them off as gens. I’m not pretending they are the real thing. Neither to myself or anyone else.

It’s probably very hard for you to understand but not everyone has the same superficisl motives for buying reps as you do and have other reasons than pretending to own a gen you can’t afford or are not willing to pay for.

It’s probably also hard for you to imagine but some of us actually have a genuine passion for watches and enjoy reps and gens alike for what they are and see this as a great hobby and are here to learn and talk about technical aspects and different models with people that share the same passion. We are also well aware that reps are simply nowhere near a gen with respects to quality and finish though some of them are pretty good and would fool most people if that’s your goal. This hobby is an opportunity to own several reps of expensive watches and get the feel for each one. That simply wouldn’t be possible for most of us otherwise.

Now stop fooling around. You obviously don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. People like you give me a head ache.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Whatever. Keep living in your dream world. There is no point arguing. You will just keep insisting that the fakes are just as good as the gens. As for second hand gens I don’t wtf you going on about. But of course price and quality of second hand watches will vary.

I love this hobby and my reps. They look great and it gives me a chance to try out and wear a bunch of nice watches. But I’m not dumb enough to claim the the quality and finish is no where near a gen. They are great toys.

Take Rolex.

On ARF the paint will fade or flake off the bezel. On the gen it’s platinum plated. The hands are steel and look NOTHING like the Rolex white gold ones. The dial looks all wrong. The date is bold and look like crap. The midcase is fat and chunky. The bracelet is good but of course not identical to a gen lol. The cyclops look like crap. The general finish is nothing like a gen. I certainly don’t need a loupe to tell a gen is completely different level of quality. And of course the cal 3135 movement is unmatched. Have you ever taken off the back of a rep Rolex and looked inside? You will be shocked about the sheer amount of dirt in there. It somtimes looks like it was taken out of the engine of an old car.

I’ll stop wasting my time and let you continue to live in denial.

I hope we at least share a gen passion for great watches. I love reps and gens alike for what they are.
Wasn’t going to wade in, but I thought you said we don’t all have to agree. It seems though, when people don’t you’re telling them they are living in a dream or in denial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: