• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UK customs charges

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
I had a delivery to the UK from delivery from prof in the states and taking says customs charges have been raised but I know he only put $20 on the customs form so how can they evaluate charges? And why was it not seized of they opened it??

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
or the value of the package is stated higher maybe shipped insured with insured value...or they opened it and made an estimate on the item

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
it was shipped standard ems at a value of $20 so it can't be that, if they think it's real then the bill will be massive :eek: lol

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
Don't fret, I've had multiple items to the UK and the largest charge I received was £14. The packages were marked as "fashion bracelets" at a low value. I have no idea how they work out how much to charge, maybe they just spin a wheel and they bill you whatever number it lands on :)

Reactions: cannockwolf

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
Still no letter from Parcelforce, 5 days now, how long does it take a computer to print a bit of paper, gees

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The first watch I bought from the States M2M got diverted to Parcel Farce's central office upon arrival for customs assessment. I had to wait a week or so before I got a letter asking me to cough up £25 online in order for them to send it on to me. It's only happened on that one incoming rep though - I've had 2 others from the US that came through without getting duty slapped on them.

I think Parcel Farce just filter out parcels at random and bung on a charge, so they make more money out of being the HM Customs license holders these days.

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
im sure your right, as if they really did look at what they were charging you on wouldn't they seize it as counterfeit?

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
OK heres a weird one just had notification on my tracking that @ 14:28 Revised Customs charges raised, then @ 15:24 Released from customs??????????? WTF?

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
OK heres a weird one just had notification on my tracking that @ 14:28 Revised Customs charges raised, then @ 15:24 Released from customs??????????? WTF?
Well, that sounds like a good thing, however weird the message order..!

cannockwolf

Known Member
18/2/19
UK
finally get the letter, £7.57 import vat and £12 parcelfarce handling fee, how do they get that figure? mental only had to wait a week for them to sort that out

johnandtonic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/2/14
UK
finally get the letter, £7.57 import vat and £12 parcelfarce handling fee, how do they get that figure? mental only had to wait a week for them to sort that out

I believe you have tariff fee and VAT charges. The tariff is variable depending on the type of product and the country of origin (based on any the trade agreement the UK may have or not).

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Well, that's a reasonable result compared to what it could have been. That handling fee though... it really grates, doesn't it.

Pierre Le Trek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/3/19
UK
I recently had a similar experience. £15.09 inc Parcelforce handling fee. I rang Parcelforce with my tracking number to ask how much the duty/taxes would be and the lady on the phone told me (£15.09). I happened to ask about payment and she said that once it shows as at local office awaiting payment (on the Parcelforce website) you can pay and have it delivered. To do this she gave me the Customs ref number which was 12 or 15 numbers, can't remember exactly. I did this and got my parcel delivered 5 days before the letter even turned up with the invoice to pay.
So, my advice is, when it has had 'customs fees/charges raised on the website, ring parcel force and nicely ask for the customs ref number. Then you can pay as soon as it hits the local office and either collect or have it delivered the next day!
The charge is worked out on the declared value plus the shipping fees and yes, I had no idea how they came to £15.09 so I agree they just pick a charge out of the air.
Hope this helps anyone waiting for the customs letter, it can save you a good few days.

wolfwood

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/2/11
I recently sent a package to a member in UK from Canada. Declared value is $20 CAD and he had to pay £14 to get the package. That's more than the declared value!

Pierre Le Trek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/3/19
UK
I recently sent a package to a member in UK from Canada. Declared value is $20 CAD and he had to pay £14 to get the package. That's more than the declared value!

Hello wolfwood,
I should have said in my post (above), that the parcel I received had a declared value of US$20 plus shipping costs (only a small/medium size parcel). It's a mystery how they come to the figures they charge. The couriers in the UK have a charge £8 to £15 depending on the company involved. Import duty is meant to be 20% here in the UK.

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
I think they collect the import vat for customs and charge you a clearance fee for doing so. It's released by customs into their care, so customs don't have to deal with it directly.