• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I am a total newb. ( UK Customs concerns )

JohnMG

Looking Around
26/5/19
I am ready to pull the trigger and buy my first watch. I just have a bit of a concern. I know there ia list of Trusted dealers. I know where I am going to buy my watch from and I 100% trust that they will send it, my worry is UK customs . Has anyone had a watch retained by UK customs and been issued with an import duty bill? As if customs X ray the package and see a watch, then open it. These watches look vitually identical to the genuine ones, so I am a bit concerned that I will get a masssive import duty bill sent to me. As the watch retails for about £10,000 . Do these watches , more often than not , slip past UK customs,and what happens if they don't. I am only asking this as I purchased a very cheap Vostock watch from the Ukraine and it cost £50, I brought it as a joke to give to a manager at a local Rolex authourised dealer. It was very light in weight, but metal and customs intercepted it, and I had to pay import duty on this extremely inexpensive watch . Lots of people say UK customs is a breeze to get stuff past but I am not entirely sure if that is true in 2019 .. Would it be a good idea to buy a forged carbon watch first just to test my local customs centre? I am totally fine with the payment method , and also very patient when it comes to delivery times with goods shipped from China.

The watches on the trusted dealer sites look incredible, and as mentioned , I totally trust the seller to send it, it is just the potential import duty , which I just would not be able to afford to pay.

Massive thanks to everyone who helps and replies. I really hope I am worrying uncessarily , but since a very bad morobike crash I have some mental health issues , impulsive behaviour, a bit of depression, and a some anxiety issues too.
Aplogies for if this question is a dumb one but, as mentioned this will be my first purhcase.
best Regards JohnMG

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
You have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Τhey are called Trusted because everything will be fine :)

Machine1980

Horology Curious
21/2/19
I’m in the UK my first rep watch arrived at my house today after being shipped from China on Friday. No problems at all.
It’ll be all good mate.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
UK is safe lol. Ur lucky. Btw, there are TDs based in UK too. U should check it out.

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
I've had customs charges with reps sent to the UK. In fact I think all of them were stopped at the border, checked, and I was issued an import charge. The max amount I was ever billed for was £14, and that - ironically - wasn't even for the watch, it was for a box which had been sent separately. UK customs have bigger fish to fry than dodgy watches.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I'm in Uk never had a watch from China stopped /questioned/charged by Customs yet touch wood .All have sailed through . As someone else points out there are two dealers one a TD , the other a supporting vendor who have an EU stocklist with the watches already being in UK . So no customs worries.

Last edited:

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
I'm in Uk never had a watch from China stopped /questioned/charged by Customs yet touch wood .All have sailed through . As someone else points out there are two dealers one a TD , the other a supporting vendor who have an EU stocklist with the watches already being in UK . So no customs worries.

Can I ask which TD is in the UK?

Zingari

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/5/19
UK here. So far I've had watches delievered from, Singapore, EU and Russia without any issues. At the moment I'm preferring to buy from experienced members who can give a good assessment of the watch and a personal approach. That said I wouldn't discount TDs.

One thing this site (and RepGeek) has taught me is what to look for in good reps. It's a great place for gaining knowledge and education so that if you are in a position to buy genuine you'll know better how to reassure yourself. Plus when someone comes on trying to sell a Rep that's not worth the money they soon get shot down in flames when they're told point blank how much they can be had for retail

Last edited:

macca147

Horology Curious
30/5/19
sorry to jump on this thread but can i ask which is the TD in the uk too as i too am a first time buyer and a bit nerous about importing from the likes of china

ffuhcu

14/7/16
sorry to jump on this thread but can i ask which is the TD in the uk too as i too am a first time buyer and a bit nerous about importing from the likes of china

Supporting vendor KS Watches lists UK stock. TD Supermirrors (Sead) lists EU stock, as does Narikaa sometimes I think.

Reactions: macca147

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I'm about 50 watches in. Never had a single issue with customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Yep - as others said - no issues for me either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk