• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Going gen on a $5k budget

Dallasdude77

3/5/16
So, I've recently inherited a modest sum of money and, though I'll be saving most of it to put a down payment on a house, I really want to buy something special for myself that will always be a reminder of the amazing person that left it to me. Part of me really wants to spend $15k on my dream Rolex but that's a bit ridiculous and definitely not practical. I've given myself a budget of $5k give or take. My top choices so far are the Zenith El Primero "Classic Cars" edition, the original Zenith El Primero Chronomatic 42mm in silver or gray, the IWC Pilot Spitfire Chrono, and the new Heuer Autavia. All retail for $5300-$6700 but with my AD's discount they will be $4300-$5500. I have also considered the Rolex Oyster Perpetual, and the Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay GMT, but the reps for these are just sooo good, I can't justify them. I have commitment issues so any feedback on my current choices would be greatly appreciated! Are there any other watches you guys would recommend in this price range? The watch knowledge here never ceases to amaze me so I look forward to you guys' input! Thanks in advance. Here are some pics of my top choices so far:
​​​​​​
VfoEQ8.jpg

VfoWt3.jpg

​​​​​​
VfoZSU.jpg

​​​​​​
Vfob9b.jpg

Reactions: Malik321

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
Great choices. I think the Zentih brand is vastly under-rated, and the El Primero movement is legendary. Have you considered an Omega moon watch? Great history, very handsome watch, and can be picked up from the dealers at a really attractive price.

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Great choices. I think the Zentih brand is vastly under-rated, and the El Primero movement is legendary. Have you considered an Omega moon watch? Great history, very handsome watch, and can be picked up from the dealers at a really attractive price.

I was going to say the same thing. The Moon Watch would be my first buy as gen.

Reactions: sn95

Dallasdude77

3/5/16

I agree, Zenith is definitely under-rated. As of now, it's my top pick. I've had the Omega moon watch on my wrist on multiple occasions and, as handsome as it is, and as attractive the price, it just doesn't speak to me. I really want it to because it comes in way below my budget, but it just doesn't. I've tried on other variations that absolutely blew my mind, but they were all very much over my budget. So, unfortunately, Omega didn't make my list.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I'm a big fan of iwc, but I also love the zenith if there was a decent rep of the el primero I'd be throwing my money in the direction of a TD.

it would be an almost impossible choice for me between the two, but if I had a gun against my head and had to choose my head would say iwc but heart would say zenith, I think the zenith would be the one coming home with me.

Domisus

Renowned Member
28/3/18
Austria
I dont think the IWC will hold its value(also no in-house movement, right?) and the heuers are generally hated cause their prices are too high for what you get (materials, movement, etc). I would go for the el primero or moon watch. Don't forget to show us some pictures after you decided what to get

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I dont think the IWC will hold its value(also no in-house movement, right?) and the heuers are generally hated cause their prices are too high for what you get (materials, movement, etc). I would go for the el primero or moon watch. Don't forget to show us some pictures after you decided what to get

I have a gen Tag Formula 1 and that thing has been in the shop twice in a year for keyless work but I still love it! That being said, I do think the Tag Carrera is worth a look too.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Agreed that Zenith is an incredibly underrated brand. My only comment would be that you mentioned your AD which implies you are looking at new watches. Have you considered used? You might have a few more options open up (or save more money) on a lightly used piece rather than go the retail route. It looks like you want a chronograph, so I'd do a search on Chrono24 or eBay and see what came up under $5k. You might be surprised ...

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Also, check the Gen Watch Sales.section. Some.great deals.to be had plus if done right you have the support of the moderation team.

adj

Known Member
12/4/19
Dallasdude77 Zenith el primero de luca will be my next gen! Do you know it? Love it!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

eshow3907

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/13
Go with a Tudor, yes the reps look great, but you can get a Pelagos with in-house movement for under 4K used.

I chose blue. It was my first luxury gen and was also a legacy purchase. If I were to pick up another, it would be the TT GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eshow3907

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/13
If you bump your budget another 2k, you get yourself a nice Rolex. Chrono24 has a full size Yachtmaster priced at $6300 right now, explorer II’s for under 5k and and multiple Milgauss under 6k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallasdude77

3/5/16
So, the constant battle in my head has been "Spend a little more and get a Rolex" vs. "Save some cash and get a Tudor," but my heart kept coming back to Zenith. This watch just speaks to me. It's a perfect mix of classic, modern, and sporty, IMHO. I've tried on countless watches from Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Panerai, IWC, and many others, but I kept coming back to this one. Unfortunately, my AD didn't have it in stock when I finally made my decision, but their rep says he can get it to them by the end of the week. I put down $1K to reserve it and hopefully I'll be posting wristies over the weekend! I also have to mention that I'm quite proud of my negotiating skills. The dealer had already told me they would do 20% off of the retail price but when I mentioned finding it at a better price online at Chrono24, they matched that price! 30% off retail? Please, and thank you. Here it is, the Zenith El Primero "Classic Cars" Special Edition (wristies coming soon):

​​​​​​
VfjsKy.jpg

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Does Chrono24 typically give an indicative price of what an AD will do?

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
So, the constant battle in my head has been "Spend a little more and get a Rolex" vs. "Save some cash and get a Tudor," but my heart kept coming back to Zenith. This watch just speaks to me. It's a perfect mix of classic, modern, and sporty, IMHO. I've tried on countless watches from Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Panerai, IWC, and many others, but I kept coming back to this one. Unfortunately, my AD didn't have it in stock when I finally made my decision, but their rep says he can get it to them by the end of the week. I put down $1K to reserve it and hopefully I'll be posting wristies over the weekend! I also have to mention that I'm quite proud of my negotiating skills. The dealer had already told me they would do 20% off of the retail price but when I mentioned finding it at a better price online at Chrono24, they matched that price! 30% off retail? Please, and thank you. Here it is, the Zenith El Primero "Classic Cars" Special Edition (wristies coming soon):

​​​​​​
VfjsKy.jpg

Fabulous looking piece - congratulations mate! What it all comes down to is if when you put the watch on, you get a kick. As you say, the watch spoke to you, and that's the most important thing.
Enjoy it.

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk