• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep vs Gen Community My opinion

k04s4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/4/11
So I have loved watches since I was kid, I had a collection of kid watches back then. I owned several Gen Rolexes over the years and didn’t know about the rep world outside of Canal Street in NYC. A friend got me into the scene after he found out I sold a Gen watch during the financial crisis 2008 era. I bought a DSSD then several ROO’s and really enjoyed collecting them. As I dove into the rep community I learned how knowledgeable the rep world is about the entire watch. My friends who own gen’s don’t know what movement is in their watch, how to change the strap or much about the history of the piece. The rep world knows the dial in detail, movement beat rate, amount of jewels, changes in the piece over the years and most of the time the model code. I’ve also seen many members detail how to repair, service the movements. I don’t know a single Gen owner that can service their own piece.

I took a few years off from the community, the new reps are amazingly close, only the pam models 7 years ago could really pass without major franken mods. Today several factories have cloned movements which hopefully will not draw in less passionate members into the rep community.

centrum

27/7/14
That's a really great analysation. You are right. We are more interested in the details and the technical data.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: k04s4

k04s4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/4/11
That's a really great analysation. You are right. We are more interested in the details and the technical data.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thank you! rep world loves the watch for whats inside and gen world loves the watch for the name, kinda ironic!

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Yep there appear to more enthusiasts in the Rep community than the Gen community in general and this is why so many Gen owners end up being active on the Rep forums, way more response and enthusiasm here on the Rep forums than on the gen forums.

I enjoy both but spend more time here on the Rep forums.

Reactions: k04s4