• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is your "white whale"?

Pluribus

Horology Curious
23/8/17
We all have that one elusive watch we want on our wrists, but none of the rep houses are making it. That one watch that we covet so much, we would be willing to accept a crap quartz version from DHGate, or some uber sketchy Craigslist post.

Mine's the Bell & Ross Miniteur Repeater Tourbillon. I know, I know, why am I waiting for a rep when I can buy the original for the paltry sum of only $164k? Well, I'm cheap, that's why....

What's yours?

Bell & Ross Miniteur Repeater Tourbillon

Reactions: r0b9502

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
Good idea for a thread - mine is the A Lange & Sohne Datograph Lumen. I expect a good rep by the time I next see a pig fly past the window.

Reactions: Pluribus

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Nice thread. In addition to posting pics of the "grail", I would suggest adding the retail price too!

My grail would be an annual calendar, or perpetual calendar with clearly visible date/date/month (i.e. windows, no dial). I dont need the year, not that senile yet. Another aspect which I learnt after knowing repworld, it should not be repped!!

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
tag-heuer-monaco-calibre-12-mens-watch-caw2111fc6183-caw2111fc6183.jpg

Tag Heuer Monaco.

5. I need to time my LeMans Laps

4. I need to have 10 people killed in under 2 minutes

3. Square watches are grossly underrepresented in my collection. (I have 0 - several rectangular vintages but no actual square).

2. It's Blue!! My favorite color is blue!

1. It is just so damn cool.

I did finally break down and order a far from perfect quartz rep with incorrect dial markings. But I soooooo want a Monaco. Saving up for a Gen. If rep market can beat my savings all the better.

Gen hovers around $4k

Last edited:

Redfoot

Banned
3/4/19
California

Tag Heuer Monaco.

3. Square watches are grossly underrepresented in my collection. (I have 0 - several rectangular vintages but no actual square).

I did finally break down and order a far from perfect quartz rep with incorrect dial markings. But I soooooo want a Monaco. Saving up for a Gen. If rep market can beat my savings all the better.

Gen hovers around $4k

This ^^

Reactions: Wrestleantares

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US

Tag Heuer Monaco.

Gen hovers around $4k

I own a gen Formula 1 but I'm not familiar with the Monaco. What makes it so hard for a factory to replicate this one besides unwillingness? Surely if a factory can bastardize the A7750 with extra gears to get the subdials right on the Daytona, this wouldnt be too hard to replicate the movement. Just wondering. Great looking watch!

Last edited:

Redfoot

Banned
3/4/19
California
I own a gen Formula 1 but I'm not familiar with the Monaco. What makes it so hard for a factory to replicate this one besides unwillingness? Surely if a factory can bastardize the A7750 with extra gears to get the subdials right on the Daytona, this wouldnt be too hard to replicate the movement. Just wondering. Great looking watch!

The Monaco is iconic! Revolutionary for being the first automatic as well as the first square cased chronograph, and for looking extremely awesome on Steve McQueen's wrist in Le Mans. I believe the issue is the movement. The subdial spacing would be off with the A7750 movement. The gen uses a ETA 2892 (and I know there is the clone A2892), the problem is the Dubois Depraz chronograph module that is added onto the 2892.

Yes I did Google all this ;)

Reactions: Wrestleantares

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
The Monaco is iconic! Revolutionary for being the first automatic as well as the first square cased chronograph, and for looking extremely awesome on Steve McQueen's wrist in Le Mans. I believe the issue is the movement. The subdial spacing would be off with the A7750 movement. The gen uses a ETA 2892 (and I know there is the clone A2892), the problem is the Dubois Depraz chronograph module that is added onto the 2892.

Chronos in the rep world are a big PIA.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18

I wish I knew. This is the single coolest watch made.

Steve Freaking McQueen wore it!

Steve-McQueen-tag-heuer-ambassador.jpg

Walter White wore it

Tag-Heuer-Breaking-Bad-watch-6.jpg

And it is THE race watch. I NEED THIS. Hopefully, it will be mine in Gen in about a year.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18

Thanks for the info. While I wanted a rep of it, I never knew the details of why at least a better one than the current one is not made.

May just have to be a gen for me. ONE DAY...

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I wish a factory would make speedmaster moonwatch with proper subdials.

You would think the Speedmaster would sell enough for a factory to do a super clone of it ala the 4130 of the Daytona. That movement is perfect on one of my Daytona's not withstanding longevity. Time will tell.

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
Lets get back on subject ;). The MB&F above is my white whale then this would have to be my slightly off white whale. The do make reps in a form or fashion of the Lange 1 but they are CRAPPY!

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Rolex Submariner Date 1986, gloss dial, with all stickering intact with box and papers, unworn, unpolished. Many times I have thought of making this a reality with a Phong case, gen movement, used hands and dial of the highest quality, all based on a donor certificate, but I cannot allow myself to justify the spend.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Never heard of this manufacturer before, but i like it a lot!

He is a great designer, i like the fact that his whatches are more "a work of an art director that do his best as an engineer"
than "a work of an engineer that do his best as an art director".