• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why all the Daytona hype the Submariner is clearly a better looking watch

Besurfhi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/4/19
Prove me wrong ...

fb25712cfd35cfa786b009638b4ee6d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
2 entirely different watches and completely subjective. There's room for them both.

PETROLHE4D

Known Member
21/1/19
I find Daytona much more refined and better looking, also more complicated. Less common as well. Just my opinion.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando RWI

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'm going to throw another one into the fray, I think the GMT is better looking them both, and more practical.

IMG_20180518_083557ecd25567aa20d917.jpg

Besurfhi

15/4/19
I’ve always loved the GMT. But I do feel the Daytona is just to busy. A lot going on on that dial and bezel.

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
Throwing another one into the mix.... I think nothing beats a datejust.... the most versatile of them all... it’s not as sporty as a sub nor a Daytona... it is classy but it is a sports watch nonetheless... it’s an oyster. Fits wearing either a 3 piece suite to wearing jeans, all star and a t-shirt

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
Both are iconic and their history is without question. As for which is the better looking, that is purely in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I say get both! And a GMT, Yachtmaster, Explorer etc........

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
What the heck I say buy one of anything you like. Everyone has their opinion & that is why they make different watches. The world would be VERY boring of everyone liked the same things.

bobfrivor

7/5/19
I see a lot of subs out there. A few GMT's. Yet to see a sea dweller. And one Daytona. I like them all, but the SD43 is my favorite (but I really like the D Blue as well). Batman a close second as I travel a lot. Daytona I like because it is less common.

kamo

9/4/19
Datejust is the one for me (i think as i do not actually own one :p ). I own a SubC and i love it. Daytona's dial is too busy and i do not understand the point of the GMT function apart from the fact that it is an added complication to show off craftsmanship. which is fine but... no use for it imo.

Reactions: Besurfhi

Omega703

16/2/19
Datejust is the one for me (i think as i do not actually own one :p ). I own a SubC and i love it. Daytona's dial is too busy and i do not understand the point of the GMT function apart from the fact that it is an added complication to show off craftsmanship. which is fine but... no use for it imo.

Unless you travel over multiple time zones. My rep GMTs are functional and I don’t have to pull out my phone like a millennial to know what time it is in the states when I’m in Asia ;)

Reactions: Rx4Time

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I would choose the Tona over every Rolex model. It's my grail and always be. No rollie looks so greatly shaped as the tona. But thats my opinion lol

VGzfMI.jpg

Although i love the sub very very much

ZgVo8.jpg

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
sadly, youre all noobs, lacking taste. :p

DayDate 40 is THE creme de la creme.

dont @ me.

Last edited:

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Subs, Daytonas, GMTs.. love them all! Omega as well lolol
e08f2735d1b9e48e8de66182fe753cae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: TheEC

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
So, hang on, you think the Daytona is a hype AS OPPOSED to the Submariner? The Sub?! I mean, the watch that every time there's a new model out you have a +1800 posts topic per each factory that makes it? I mean, if there's one überly hyped watch, that is actually the Submariner.

That being said, the Daytona has a very nice balance within luxury and sports. And to be honest, unlike many other watches, you can't judge a Daytona until you see it in real life. They don't look even half as nice as they are on a photo as what they really are in real life. Proportions, thinness, sundial positioning, the Daytona is a masterclass on how to design a watch.

​​​​​​(still, I'm with the Datejust crowd, lol).