• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Triple Wrap" vs. Gold Plating 101

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
There are many 'Urban Myths" about gold plated replica watches. I happen to have a taste for the gold versions, both solid and two-tone. It is NOT true that you cannot get a good quality plated watch. You will need to find a dealer that you can trust, and who will tell you what they know about particular watch models that they sell. When you find a dealer who you trust, and he tells you that a watch has good gold plating, you are home free.

The plating process is pretty much understood by everyone (even me).. It is perhaps the "Triple Wrap" process that is not as well understood, so perhaps this might assist in clearing up the folklore. In actual practice, you will rarely, if ever, find true triple wrap in a replica watch. True triple wrap can be polished, buffed, and in general given rough treatment with no fear of failure.

Triple Wrap is an actual process, in which sheets of real gold are formed around and on to base metal parts (stainless steel, for instance) that have been prepared (another topic) for the application. This process results in a very robust and sturdy layering of gold. The main advantage to this process is durability, as gold applied in this manner is thicker than plating. True 'Triple Wrap" is not to be found in replica watches, it is difficult to perform correctly, and it is only used on the band, not the case, of a watch. If you visualize placing even a thing sheet of gold on the areas of the case with tight tolerances where other parts meet (the crystal, for instance) you will readily understand that it is an impossibility. See the next paragraph.

There are certain limitations to triple wrappping: this method cannot be applied to complex shapes, such as the case/lugs, & the bezel. Triple wrap, therefore, is used on the band of a watch, one of the parts that receives the most wear. . A quality manufacturing process will include a heavier gold plating to the case/bezel etc. As regards the crown? The crown can have, in it's construction, actual formed sheet applied. This is the process used by Rolex on their solid gold watches, simply becase the physics involved counter-indicate solid gold for a crown:

Plating: plating is a most acceptable method of applying gold to a watch. However, as noted above, it is only quality when the gold plating is of sufficient thickness to allow for acceptable durability. When one approaches (or surpasses) 10 microns, then durability can approach the decade + mark. 5 microns gives very good service, especially when care is taken (besides avoiding abrasion, cleaning the watch of skin oils and acid after each wear is recommended.

Failure: Triple wrap, by it's very nature and the method of application is rarely if ever prone to failure. On the other hand, plated metal can 'bubble' or 'flake' if either the surface is not properly prepared, or if it is not applied thickly enough.

"Triple Wrap" has become an advertising 'catch phrase', used to sell plated watches of lesser quality (plated to under 5 microns). There is no easy way to determine which method has been used, unfortunately. This CAN be done, but it would require the destruction of a link - not that hard, actually, but few actually do this sort of testing on a purchased watch.

Most dealers advertise "Triple Wrap". However, few dealers will actually explain what that term actually means, to the entire watch. They may be relying on their suppliers description, they simply may not know, or they may feel that their customers do not "need" to know what they are actually buying.

Should one experience failure of lesser quality plating, one can do send a watch out (expensive) or one can "Do It Yourself": http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html

Fire Gilding is yet another process of applying gold to metal:

"Fire Gilding" does a marvelous job in applying gold to metal. This process is outlawed in the 'industrialized nations' because
it is extremely hazardous to the artisans who use this method. The process of 'Fire Gilding' involves using a mortar and pestle
to mix ground gold with mercury.

This gold and mercury combination is then applied to the piece one is gilding, after first heating the piece in an oven. Once coated,
the piece is returned to the oven to finish the process.

This method was in common use until the late 1940's, though it can still be found in Indonesia, India, Pakistan and other parts of the
world.

Unless they are very familiar with the fire gilding process, many jewelers are fooled into thinking that a fire gilded piece is solid gold, though a very knowledgeable jeweler would figure this out, because of the weight.

While this fire gilding gives a depth (thickness) and beauty that rivals solid gold, it is a very dangerous process because of the toxic mercury fumes that are given
off when done.

At the end of the day, with a good dealer who has experience with his stock, and has also a good working relationship with his supplier, one can source a gold plated watch with no fear whatsoever. Remember, when you see the term 'Triple Wrap', you are seeing an advertising slogan, and it is pure hype, not anyhting real.

Life is Good!
Klink

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Thanks for the info Klink. Very informative. This will let both noobs and vets better understand and decide want they are buying.

Sean K

luisik

20/3/06
It's a pleasure to read you when you use "regular" english, Klink. :)

Thank you for such informative topic.

JOEJOEJOE

I'm Pretty Popular
25/9/06
Thank you for this info. I didn't know you could write in "regular" english :eek:

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
uhhhhh
can it be???

8) :D
Life is Good!
Klink

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
JOEJOEJOE said:
Thank you for this info. I didn't know you could write in "regular" english :eek:

Joe, just goes to show Google has a very reliable translator proggie.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
LOL!!

itayancay ebay ardhay otay andsty ofay underay owhay eeplespay
alktay odaytay!!

Ustmay ebay omethingsay ithay theay aterway!

"Puglatin?? oder doppelgangersprech?

8) :shock:

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Great Post Klinkster

:shock:

oremay ikelyltay omethingsay niday theay iray

MAOL

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
@Willster:
Can translate to bahasa, please?
oremay ikelyltay omethingsay niday theay iray

LOL

Super Sweet what we have available.. and you are

the man!

Life is Good!
Klink

jdavis

28/9/06
Interesting and good information. Years ago, the term "gold filled" was found on jewelry and watch cases. As I understand it, this durable finish is a type of gold cladding of a base metal. Is this the same or similar to the gold gilding that you described?

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
Not at all 'gold filled' is actually sheet gold applied to the base metal, is very durable (and more expensive) than plating. Fire gilding is heating the base metal and then applying a mixture of pulverized gold dissolved in mercury, returned to kiln (oven) and the mercury is driven off, leaving the gold.. this is a super nice finish - but seldom if ever used simply because the process is very very dangerous.. mercury poisoning - it is actually outlawed in most of the world.. though you can find places in the third world (Pakistan, etc.) who will do it.. pardon if I repeat myself. 'gold filled' is rarely encountered in any modern jewelry, and not in replica watches.. it all comes down to expense, and ease of application. GF not easy (dies, etc to prepare the sheet, the application itself etc.) and fire gilding not easy, dangerous.. and why should anyone bother with these methods when plating is dead easy, and relatively inexpensive?

"Triple Wrap" An advertising fiction.

Life is Good,
Klink

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I agree with Klink. I know a jeweller in my city that does that fire gilding. Finish is as good as real gold.

Klink

Banned
15/3/06
@Taka,

I have a collection of WWII German badges that have fire gilding - it was used in the 1920's (likely earlier as well) and the early part of the 1940's by the Germans. I also have a ppiece that I had done in Pakistan.. the cost was high ($50.00) simply because I did not take the time to find a better source. The quality of finish in fire gilding is astonishing.... to return to gold filled: this is not a foil, but actual sheet gold.. and the complexities of covering a watch are simply too great for it to be economically feasible.. and, due to the thickness, if the watch case itself is not engineered to accept this 'cladding', simply unworkeable., as the dimensions (measurements) are changed.. of course, examples of both watches and jewelry that are gold filled can be fund, and of course, these pieces have been engineered to accept the cladding. Not replica watches...

"Triple Wrap".. as described in the first post above, is a method that is and was very rare.. if it existed at all.. and note, it was never used on the watch case itself... too much of rumour and virtually no evidence that his method was or is actually used for anything but selling plated watches as something they are noot.. LOL.

Life is Good!
Klink

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Two thumbs up for your info Klink! Certainly that tolerance is too small in watches. Enjoy your collection :p

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
Excellent post Klink, I too was mystified by your seemigly perfect grasp of the English language. Well done sir!

Jimmy007

Looking Around
26/8/06
I would really enjoy, having had some experience with plating and casting involving pecious metals including gold to know whether fact or fiction re the "wrapping" process.

If in fact it is a myth/marketing tactic employed by dealers then perhaps it originated from the fact that when you look at a gold plated link side on the top layers consisting of the plating and intermediate metal appear to be wrapped around the lighter substrate and look (one might argue conveniently) much greater in material thickness than actually exists in the gold.

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
Thanks mate, keep it coming !

So the general's pic in your avatar seems to really depict a WWI German general...?

babola