• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Trump Trade deal

josmcg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/3/18
As Trump nears a trade deal with China (there will be one, Trump has them by the balls, our economy is booming and tariffs are killing them) is anyone worried about the effect on the rep business. One of the major points is the theft of intellectual property. Granted, rep watches are nowhere on Trumps radar, I see this going one of two ways

A) Nothing happens because the rep watch business isn’t Trumps concern

B) China cracks down and raids every factory in a meaningless show of their efforts to comply with intellectual property theft.

Any thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
I think the rep business will be like always.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
I think the US is after legitimate companies in China who stole IP.
Rep factories are mostly home industries and underground in nature.
These factories don't pay tax, don't comply with labor law, don't give a shit about waste management law.
They are illegal in China although they are not in the government priority list.
So, it is business as usual.

Doc_Savage

Amor Fati
Certified
18/3/19
Michigan
I see no change in the rep market.

But make no mistake - these tariffs are hurting US companies in a big way.

Doc Savage

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question here but aren't the big luxury watch manufacturers Swiss, not American?

Reactions: gilrob

josmcg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/3/18
Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb question here but aren't the big luxury watch manufacturers Swiss, not American?

That is an excellent question. Yes they are. That had not occurred to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
When the US talk of the Chinese stealing ip i would say its the stuff like the stealth jet tech, warships, telecom tech, nuclear and chip manufacturing. The Chinese crack down from time to time on luxury rep goods but that stuff brings in overseas currency so they mostly turn a blind eye