• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Will super franken can ever...DIVE in water?

mottykytu

4/6/13
Many here are doing super franken for Submariner - Iconic Dive from Rolex for about 1/3 or 1/4 the GEN Price... And it is Great, you have a 99% look alike and 90% part a genuine watch for a much lower price.

Problem is, with the DIVE Watch, in my opinion the CASE is most important for DIVING in the water, Isn't it? And case is also the most REP watch base that use by many modder. They can have all other parts GEN but can hardly find a GEN Dive Watch Case

So I wonder if having a Dive watch which can Dive is Important for you guys? who do superfranken? And does any one here success to make their DIVE franken watch Completely Water Resistance like GEN? And can Even Dive or at least Swim wish it?

Do not know if Rep Case is suitable for DIVE or not? Thanks you alot, it will help me alot on my ways to be Franken modder !!!

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Make sure you pressure test your watch before taking it swimming. Just because it looks like a gen and has gen parts installed doesn’t mean it’ll be water resistant automatically. Some have been known to leak while others are sealed very well. You don’t know which one yours is until you pressure test it.

Also, in the event that it does pass the test at a low level (3-5 atm) it doesn’t mean it’ll go down to 200 meters (20 atm). A true pressure test all the way down to 200 or 300m are very expensive and most watch repair places don’t have the capabilities to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I have a inexpensive pressure tester. I test mine roughly once a year. I swim with a number of them frequently and never had a problem.

Reactions: Noobylover

iceberg1459

Renowned Member
Certified
27/3/08
I remember scuba diving to 23meters with my old stock Tc sub with no problem, but my Jf AP 15450 was destroyed after few mins in swimming pool(dial full of water). yes the crown was screwed in both cases.

I think design plays a big role since they are copies.

Rolex case design is most forgiving to quality errors because caseback is screwed and triplock crown has multiple rubber seals
AP however isnt designed to be waterproof, caseback is only pressed against the case and crown is a simple screw-in. It needs precise manufacturing and good QC to be effective. For such an expensive watch it better does anyway.

mottykytu

4/6/13
I remember scuba diving to 23meters with my old stock Tc sub with no problem, but my Jf AP 15450 was destroyed after few mins in swimming pool(dial full of water). yes the crown was screwed in both cases.

I think design plays a big role since they are copies.

Rolex case design is most forgiving to quality errors because caseback is screwed and triplock crown has multiple rubber seals
AP however isnt designed to be waterproof, caseback is only pressed against the case and crown is a simple screw-in. It needs precise manufacturing and good QC to be effective. For such an expensive watch it better does anyway.

Then it is true that the Gen Rolex is better WR than AP ? I think Yes, Since can hardly think that a Clear Caseback is better WR than the solid one !

iceberg1459

Renowned Member
Certified
27/3/08
well yeah, literally. ap royal oak is rated only 50m, rolex submariner is 300m

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Then it is true that the Gen Rolex is better WR than AP ? I think Yes, Since can hardly think that a Clear Caseback is better WR than the solid one !

The Royal Oak is just a sports watch while the Submariner is, as its name states, a diving watch. Thus, water resistance on those two models is dramatically different.

The way they are built reflects that as well, and that's why even their replicas have such different water resistance. Although I've been swimming with a JF 15450 I had and it survived...