• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sold Gens to buy Reps?

TudorTime706

MULTI ACCOUNT
15/8/17
Georgia
Has anyone ever done it?

I've been thinking a lot lately about selling my Gens and paying off my debt so I can make a career change and move to the coast next year and buying a rep instead to hold me over until everything settles.

The only negative I'm finding so far is that I have a emotional connection to one of them because it's been with me through thick and thin and it's one of the main ones I have to sell.
(I still regret selling my first gen DateJust 16200 a couple of years ago)

Anybody ever done it, whether or not for that reason, and how did you get over the emotional connection if you had one?!

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
I did. Stole my gens at a silly price and sold for triple what I paid and said thanks for the experience. Let the bosses pay premium over retail for whatever Basel release they just have to have. I’ve owned both. At my stage in life it’s enjoy what fuels the passion. My game is mostly where does your $ make you feel good on your wrist. Can’t fight the reps bro. It’s a rush dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
I just sold my planet ocean for exactly the same reason.I didn’t have it for a very long time but still, it was my holy grail. I now wear a franken no date submariner that I slowly learned through this forum with no previous experience. It started as my 3rd ARF, but this one was a sh3135. Hated it, date font awful, ceramic engraving waaay to deep, the pearl fell off, regretted selling my previous 2824 arf. After reading and reading I decided to take a chance and found a gen no date dial. I removed the magnification(another flaw) and before I knew it I put gen hands and then icing on the cake a gen ceramic insert. Now I’m more emotionally attached to it because of the fact that I “built” it myself. I’ll probably go further with it but as it stands I can’t take my eyes off it. I had the planet ocean 39.5 ceramic, latest one out, stunning. Other than surviving depths that I will never see I put my franken Rolex beside it any day.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: TudorTime706

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
I did. Stole my gens at a silly price and sold for triple what I paid and said thanks for the experience. Let the bosses pay premium over retail for whatever Basel release they just have to have. I’ve owned both. At my stage in life it’s enjoy what fuels the passion. My game is mostly where does your $ make you feel good on your wrist. Can’t fight the reps bro. It’s a rush dude.

markwatch2011

Known Member
22/8/16
I traded my gens for superfrankens.after hunting and gathering all the parts for all gen but mid case 16610,I just have more respect for the passion and time that is put into building a superfranken or modded watch vs most gens.

r.keane

5/4/15
London, UK
I traded my gens for superfrankens.after hunting and gathering all the parts for all gen but mid case 16610,I just have more respect for the passion and time that is put into building a superfranken or modded watch vs most gens.

How much does a super Franken 16610 cost to build roughly?

kostas

9/7/13
Sold most of my gens and with a small part of the money got myself a couple of super reps. Have been very happy with my choice of reps except....I shouldn't have sold my gen planet ocean which had got for silly low money. Other than that, the rep world has so much to offer and been able to trade the watches, makes everything super fun.
Thinking back, I wouldn't spend so much on gens....super reps are great!

Sent from my iPad using RWI

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
It’s a cycle.

Sell gens, to buy reps.

Get bored of reps, sell them and buy gen.

Get bored of the gen, sell it to get another gen.

Then....new reps are released that catch your eye and you sell the gens to buy rep.

Never ending.

Reactions: RonP and freediver

bobfrivor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/19
It’s a cycle.

Sell gens, to buy reps.

Then....new reps are released that catch your eye and you sell the gens to buy rep.

Never ending.

This. I am in the first cycle of gen to rep. My gen collecting went through a lot of watches and I spent just shy of $250k. That got reduced to just 3 nice gens. Then I got the itch and found RWI. Now I am buying reps of watches I could not get (availability) and even bought some reps of gens I regretted selling. A lot cheaper to collect reps, to be sure.

r.keane

5/4/15
London, UK
It’s a cycle.

Sell gens, to buy reps.

Never ending.

Very true! ????

Reactions: KSwatches

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
It’s a cycle.

Sell gens, to buy reps.

Never ending.

See pic reflective of your comment. Couldn’t have hit the nail on the head any better. Vicious cycle of reciprocated agony
c70367023f1895528c4d2742478cd20a.jpg

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
This. I am in the first cycle of gen to rep. My gen collecting went through a lot of watches and I spent just shy of $250k. That got reduced to just 3 nice gens. Then I got the itch and found RWI. Now I am buying reps of watches I could not get (availability) and even bought some reps of gens I regretted selling. A lot cheaper to collect reps, to be sure.

I bought my previous house in Charleston for that figure. I should’ve made better choices after college haha!

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
I traded my IWC Big Pilot to cheap gen Tag just week ago and now enjoying world of reps. At the moment, I appreciate other things in life than expensive watches. 4 BMWs take all my money :p And to be honest, that IWC was a pain in the ass to wear sometimes and not a tool watch at all...

I can better justify a 1500 euro Tag than 8000 euro IWC. But that is just because I am on the poor side of watch collectors. I might sell that Tag too but for now, I like it.

And just ordered 5009-16 rep from Sead! If it ends up sitting in the drawer, it is only usd350 and not eur8000!