• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

People calling your watch fake..... for no reason

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
This whole thread is about judging.
This is a shortcut our mind does so we can assess our environment fast. You can not deny or ignore it.
There is less chance to be call out wearing the lowest quality Rolex quartz rep when you get out from a nice Bently with a driver and a suite comparing to a knowledgeable rep member with super franken sub wearing a T-shirt and driving Toyota Prios. That is how our mind works and it is better to acknowledge that and even "use" it than to ignore it...

Well, I'm happy not to have this mind and that my friends don't have this mind either. It's certainly no shortcut, it's just a dick move and bad habit.

So I won't be acknowledging that, nor use it, and will still call people that do it : dickheads.

I don't judge people on external signs, but rather engage with people and see what they have in their mind, doing anything else is asking for errors and troubles. We are not in an imminent threat scenario, we don't need to assess our environment in a second here.

Call it every way you want : but the one that is calling you out for no reason and the guy that judge someone else based on external criteria, are made from the same bad wood !

Reactions: Hinclimincli

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Well, I'm happy not to have this mind and that my friends don't have this mind either. It's certainly no shortcut, it's just a dick move and bad habit.

So I won't be acknowledging that, nor use it, and will still call people that do it : dickheads.

I don't judge people on external signs, but rather engage with people and see what they have in their mind, doing anything else is asking for errors and troubles. We are not in an imminent threat scenario, we don't need to assess our environment in a second here.

Call it every way you want : but the one that is calling you out for no reason and the guy that judge someone else based on external criteria, are made from the same bad wood !
Just to clarify, I'm not pro this behavior, just observing that this is how most people think...

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
OK, so now that we go on the "it's your visage/attire/way of life" and not your watch, I'll say what I always say:

1. Average price for a VW Golf Gti is around £32,000
2. Rolex Daytona: £20k (and I'm being pessimistic, you can get them for way less)
3. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak: £30k
4. Patek Philippe Aquanaut: £27.5k
5. You name it, it's probably less than the price of a VW Golf
6. Go out for a weekend and count how many VW Golf you see

Conclusion: Almost anyone that is really into watches can get one really luxurious watch. The "Aquanaut coming out of a Civic is an instant tell" is quite ridiculous (and wrong).

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
OK, so now that we go on the "it's your visage/attire/way of life" and not your watch, I'll say what I always say:

2. Rolex Daytona: £20k (and I'm being pessimistic, you can get them for way less)

Conclusion: Almost anyone that is really into watches can get one really luxurious watch. The "Aquanaut coming out of a Civic is an instant tell" is quite ridiculous (and wrong).

Fully agree, but will just add that the watch is a pure toy, while the car investment serves a day to day purpose that people can easily justify or even get credit for.

I'll take the go pro and ask the bank for a loan to buy a Patek minute repeater, will post the reaction here ... :lol:

lucyg00se

Known Member
4/4/18
I once called a guy out at a party because he was being a huge prick. He had a canal street day date with CZ bezel. He showed it to one young lady trying to impress and said "Rolex Baby, i know you like that" I called him out and felt bad afterwards

brawndo

Thirst Mutilator
17/9/18
I just had a guy calling my V9 a fake from atleast 3-5 meters away, it was halfway up my jacket sleeve. first i thought he was jealous, but is there a dead giveaway on the V9, that someone could see from that far away?

I was lost for words to be honest.

Whoever this was would have called you out wearing a real rolex. No one can spot tells from that far away regardless of rep. Even a DH gate shitter is passable from that distance. Any "instant tells" anr invisible from that far away.

Sounds like a general douche.

Last edited:

kamo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/4/19
I once called a guy out at a party because he was being a huge prick. He had a canal street day date with CZ bezel. He showed it to one young lady trying to impress and said "Rolex Baby, i know you like that" I called him out and felt bad afterwards

I would probably not do this but you really should not feel bad. Based on his tactics with the ladies guy is a dick.
then again, may be she did like that. perfect match for him then :)

Nooballert

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/12/17
I would suggest the 2824 ARF
noob Daytona is the version with the super clone 4130
I am biased of course because i own both :p

Are they on intime or do i need to find it with another dealer perhaps?
And i apriciate the advice!

Nooballert

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/12/17
Whoever this was would have called you out wearing a real rolex. No one can spot tells from that far away regardless of rep. Even a DH gate shitter is passable from that distance. Any "instant tells" anr invisible from that far away.

Sounds like a general douche.

Yes exactly what i thought - but now I'm thinking back he was closer but not that much.
But the way he said it - it was like he knew something i didnt haha.
But the i thought - a "500+-" dollar rep shouldt could get called out so far away. still got me a bit uneasy wearing it tho

Jostack

Looking Around
6/1/19

Umm, most people finance their cars for 3-6 years, and most of the time they NEED a car. No one NEEDS a luxury watch. And unless you are financing one for a very low interest rate, you are not making good financial moves, and probably should not be buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Umm, most people finance their cars for 3-6 years, and most of the time they NEED a car. No one NEEDS a luxury watch. And unless you are financing one for a very low interest rate, you are not making good financial moves, and probably should not be buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any watch shop can finance your watch for 3 or 4 years. My point is not if you should or not (I'm quite against it, actually). My point is that someone with a normal salary can defi itelly afford a Submariner or even a Daytona, so spotting someone that looks and dress "normal" and wears a Submariner doesn't automatically mean it's a replica.

Reactions: Jostack

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
As a lot of this seems like a willy waving contest I'll just throw my two cents in. My current weekday suit cost $10k. My shirts are bespoke from Geives & Hawkes at $400 each. My ties are from Turnbull and Asser. Most of my shoes are Edward Green (although I wear sneakers more than shoes). I wear a $400 rep Panerai because I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pluribus

mr1973

17/3/06
Great thread. I collect gens for almost 30 years now. RLX, JLC, AP, PP, the full monty. All started with a clever investment at the age of 17 (two 1665 for a few hundred quid - sold them few years later for a fortune). I've reinvested the money, and so on. I never took "real" money from my bank accounts. It's always been "watch money". I only bought from within the community and never ever lost a penny.

Collection now is over 70 gens.

And for 30 years I kept telling everyone (including two ex wifes) that they're cheap fakes from Turkey. *

Nowadays I usually buy the rep (if available) to see if it really gets me going. If I still like it after a certain period, I go gen.

* Nobody believed me, though.

Reactions: leo6929

OneDisease

4/10/18
Arizona
I own both Gen and Rep, And I wear both all the time. In fact my favorite watch is my ARF 116610 LN on a leather band I found.. And it's my work watch- It's really comfortable in Arizona.. No one ever questions it.. But I've had a "couple" people in my life - Generally people that are honestly unhappy with themselves look at my gen and say " Thats fake" - But they look at me when they say it as if its more of a question.. And I reply.. "of course" - But whats funny is - that happened with my Gen :) And I kind of went on with the conversation like " yeah of course its fake, but I like it, its nice.. What do you think?" and his response was "its nice" - Yeah well that's because its a Rolex. and whether or not it was my ARF or GeN (Sub as I have both real and rep) - They are both beautiful watches.

So yeah.. Who Cares? I wear both my reps and gen into my local watch place(s) and noone ever questions EITHER... Right? We are talking about people who get paid to certify these things.. Take one glance and they say "nice" - If you have a good enough rep- noone is going to to question shit.. The people that matter in this world at least. But I don't care either way. I've never really had a conversation about all the watches I collect- Enough to tell people I own replicas and gen.. People that know me know I like watches! And I own a lot of nice watches.. That's what matters to me... Its not the "single watch" - It's that people know me as someone that enjoys wearing a nice watch.. Because that is a passion of mine.. I love watches !

Reactions: leo6929