• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

People calling your watch fake..... for no reason

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
I just had a guy calling my V9 a fake from atleast 3-5 meters away, it was halfway up my jacket sleeve. first i thought he was jealous, but is there a dead giveaway on the V9, that someone could see from that far away?

I was lost for words to be honest.

A few to be honest. A dead giveaway would be the cyclops AR or lack there of followed by the bezel insert. I doubt one can make out SEL recess from 3-5m.

If yours is the A2836 version, the crown guards are noticeably thicker/ incorrect assuming this gentleman knows his reps that well.

This is true for an LN.

If you were wearing an LV, well, that watch just screams rep. The bezel, dial, the list goes on.

Last edited:

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
The few reps I have left are nigh on impossible to tell without a loupe as I almost always put a gen dial and hands on them.

Not that anybody ever even notices I'm wearing a watch. I don't really show them off, I wear them for me not for others. I tell my parents they are all fakes, even my gens, so they don't moan at me for spending so much on watches!!

Someone did ask me once if I had put an aftermarket crystal on my gen omega because they noticed it had a blue hue. I got a bit concerned and discovered that that serial did in fact have a blue hue to the crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nooballert

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/12/17
A few to be honest. A dead giveaway would be the cyclops AR or lack there of followed by the bezel insert. I doubt one can make out SEL recess from 3-5m.

If yours is the A2836 version, the crown guards are noticeably thicker/ incorrect assuming this gentleman knows his reps that well.

This is true for an LN.

If you were wearing an LV, well, that watch just screams rep. The bezel, dial, the list goes on.

Ah okay, i see.
what is the best Rolex rep in your mind if i was to change my LV out?
Im looking at these models.

Datejust
Daytona
Submariner
Explorer

If you have a specific model and "brand" in mind that would be a great help
(ive also been looking at the Tudor Black Bay ZF v4, any thoughts?)

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Ah okay, i see.
what is the best Rolex rep in your mind if i was to change my LV out?
Im looking at these models.

Datejust
Daytona
Submariner
Explorer

If you have a specific model and "brand" in mind that would be a great help
(ive also been looking at the Tudor Black Bay ZF v4, any thoughts?)

get an ARF sub, or a noob Daytona
Otherwise you have to do tons of reading :)

Reactions: stufuse

Nooballert

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/12/17
get an ARF sub, or a noob Daytona
Otherwise you have to do tons of reading :)

Yeah, i honestly thought i knew a fair bit about Noob reps, but obviously not haha.
Is there any specific ARF sub or Noob daytona you have in mind?
I shop on intime

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Yeah, i honestly thought i knew a fair bit about Noob reps, but obviously not haha.
Is there any specific ARF sub or Noob daytona you have in mind?
I shop on intime

I would suggest the 2824 ARF
noob Daytona is the version with the super clone 4130
I am biased of course because i own both :p

bobfrivor

7/5/19
Interesting thread. I am coming from the high end gen world and I think only one person even noticed my watch and no one ever asked or called them a fake. I went through a lot of gens looking for a grail and none of them moved me to want to wear them over my G-Shock. And I had some high end kit. So, I sold most of them. But now I have the itch to get a few regrets back as reps (SD43, Lange 1 and D-Blue) and maybe pick up a couple of reps I could never get my hands on: 5711 and ceramic Daytona. I doubt anyone will notice them and after wearing all those gens for years, I doubt they will call me out. But if they do, I will tell them it's fake and I got my wife an X3 with what I saved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc_Savage

Juhani

Known Member
18/1/16
I've had a few people comment on my watches at work and on the street. It's for the most part uncalled for and out of ignorance.
Oddly enough it's happened to my 1016 rep the most. Which always confused me because it's probably the least ostentatious Rolex that's ever been made.
One annoying co-worker just straight up laughs and yells "YOU DON'T HAVE A REAL ROLEX!" to which my boss exclaimed "I don't pay you enough to afford a Rolex watch". Yikes. While they're both definitely right, I told them it was my dad's...
Another coworker one saw my Explorer II polar and just asks "oh nice watch, is that a Rolex? Is it real?"

FWIW most people don't know dick about watches and either 1) assume every watch is a Rolex and 2) assume every Rolex is fake.
I usually just cover with the Franken defense. Especially since all my reps are vintage pieces I say I'm "building" my own and everyone thinks that's kind of cool. Too bad I don't know the first thing about watchmaking. (maybe one day!)

The only time I really felt bad was when I got off a flight and one of the other passengers asked me about my ZF Tudor Black Bay. I got really weirded out because that's the first time anyone, not to mention a complete stranger ever approached me about one of my watches. I covered it up asap because I could tell he was a WIS. Nice guy though, we talked for a quite some time about collecting and good value propositions for vintage Tudor/Rolex.

Anyway, I say heck em. If they don't think you can afford a gen they're just being judgemental and ignorant.

Reactions: leo6929

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
One annoying co-worker just straight up laughs and yells "YOU DON'T HAVE A REAL ROLEX!" to which my boss exclaimed "I don't pay you enough to afford a Rolex watch". Yikes. While they're both definitely right, I told them it was my dad's...

Wrong answer. You should have explained how, in the original Ian Fleming books, James Bond used that exact Rolex reference as a knuckle duster and smashed his prick face while humming the James Bond theme. That would have been lovely. Plus they would have learnt a nice fun fact about the famous secret spy. See? Everyone is a winner.

Last edited:

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Until recently the office in which I spent time on and off, it was all Rolex, AP or Patek - noone ever gave my TC so much as a sideways glance.

There is a trick that cops, the military and allied occupations use to catch out imposters without getting into the lingo and "so do you know so and so" (I've been on the giving and receiving end of those discussions, and you always come out of it laughing at a shared joke). Simply called "bearing". If you don't carry yourself in accordance with the role you portray, you are likely not what you intimate you are/were, before you've had a chance to open your mouth and prove it.

I was out at a function last year and everything about the gent seated near me indicated that his AP was not gen (one does not order tequila in a private gentleman's club in London - they had to quite literally wipe dust off a bottle, one of many indicators). I am absolutely certain I was not the only person who noted the watch and the discrepancy. But why call it out? Who would derive any benefit?

There are better ways of dicksizing or massaging one's fragile ego than challenging someone on a rep, especially if the tell is obscure. All you're doing is putting that party on notice that you are also a rep person. Dedicated strict gen wearers are seldom as obsessive over the finer details and tells as we are for the simple fact that they are dedicated to gens. Perhaps s/he who calls you out has outed themselves simultaneously?

Reactions: erekose and csthe

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
There are better ways of dicksizing or massaging one's fragile ego than challenging someone on a rep, especially if the tell is obscure

You mean like judging people choice in life and taste in life in a "Gentleman's club", like for example, thinking someone isn't able to own a real AP because he likes Tequila ?

If I were to do the same thing, I could think that you aren't very knowledgeable in that area since you seem to think (only judging by your comment) that Tequila is a low-grade beverage

And for the "carry yourself in accordance .... " you should meet multi-billion worth people more often, or even without going as far, just rich people living from money they have nothing to do with (rent, family heritage) they don't "carry" themselves always according to their rank, that doesn't prevent them for being able to afford everything they want, twice.
And I'm not talking about people with a lot of money, that don't feel the need of carrying themselves in accordance to that ...

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
Let me clarify.

You mean like judging people choice in life and taste in life in a "Gentleman's club", like for example, thinking someone isn't able to own a real AP because he likes Tequila ?

Gentleman's club of the type which have been around a couple of hundred years - proceeding to order the cheapest Tequila they had after conducting himself like an absolute arse most of the night.

If I were to do the same thing, I could think that you aren't very knowledgeable in that area since you seem to think (only judging by your comment) that Tequila is a low-grade beverage

I don't think Tequila is a low grade beverage any more than sparkling wine should disregard Dom Perignon versus "Passion Pop". There are grades. I do not suggest otherwise. But this was an odd request in this venue and it was cheap shit he was drinking.

And for the "carry yourself in accordance .... " you should meet multi-billion worth people more often, or even without going as far, just rich people living from money they have nothing to do with (rent, family heritage) they don't "carry" themselves always according to their rank, that doesn't prevent them for being able to afford everything they want, twice.

Generalised statement, perhaps.

I've met a man worth $3.5b who owns a massive transport and logistics conglomerate. He refuses to wear a tie, and has no issue showing up at government receptions in a sweater and no tie with boat shoes. His business card says he's a truck driver. Carried himself like any other overweight, past middlle age grandfather.

Specific examples do not make the whole thing true for us all. The guy wearing the BLNR repairing my office fridge is not going to convince me its legit without box and papers stamped by a reputable dealer.

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Those are a little bit more clear, but they rely on the same base : judging people for what they look and how they behave, live, to determine if they are sporting a gen or rep watch.

Specific examples doesn't make it true, indeed, hence why doing the aforementioned judgement isn't reliable and is, in my opinion, a dick move (not calling you in particular, this is mainly directed at the main subject of this topic)

Reactions: phdsjain

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Job role, clothes, house etc means nothing.

It’s a little unfair to draw conclusions on people based on what they own.

This comes down to who sees value and measures success with materials things (observer and wearer) and who doesn’t.

You’ll get very wealthy people who know nothing about brands or items (not interested) just as you will find ones where everything they own is branded ,down to the fixtures and fitting in their home.

But .....This is also true for people with regular jobs. some choose to spend all their money on material things and other See not value in it.

Anyone can get finance deals use credit cards etc just as people can go buy things outright. It’s silly to judge people with materialism.

Reactions: Katarsis

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Job role, clothes, house etc means nothing.

It’s a little unfair to draw conclusions on people based on what they own.

This comes down to who sees value and measures success with materials things (observer and wearer) and who doesn’t.

You’ll get very wealthy people who know nothing about brands or items (not interested) just as you will find ones where everything they own is branded ,down to the fixtures and fitting in their home.

But .....This is also true for people with regular jobs. some choose to spend all their money on material things and other See not value in it.

Anyone can get finance deals use credit cards etc just as people can go buy things outright. It’s silly to judge people with materialism.

You are right.

I have always had a spartan lifestyle and worked.

This means that I saved a lot of money and became a millionaire at the age of thirty.

I bet that no one I met would have thought that I had those kind of money.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Those are a little bit more clear, but they rely on the same base : judging people for what they look and how they behave, live, to determine if they are sporting a gen or rep watch.

Specific examples doesn't make it true, indeed, hence why doing the aforementioned judgement isn't reliable and is, in my opinion, a dick move (not calling you in particular, this is mainly directed at the main subject of this topic)
This whole thread is about judging.
This is a shortcut our mind does so we can assess our environment fast. You can not deny or ignore it.
There is less chance to be call out wearing the lowest quality Rolex quartz rep when you get out from a nice Bently with a driver and a suite comparing to a knowledgeable rep member with super franken sub wearing a T-shirt and driving Toyota Prios. That is how our mind works and it is better to acknowledge that and even "use" it than to ignore it...

Reactions: xray7

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
You are right.

I have always had a spartan lifestyle and worked.

This means that I saved a lot of money and became a millionaire at the age of thirty.

I bet that no one I met would have thought that I had those kind of money.

Very well done indeed.

Reactions: Katarsis

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Guys, we aren't talking about NOTICING a replica watch, but CALLING OUT a replica watch (and I add, "calling out in public"). There is a massive difference between these two.

The first one requires all that judgement you talk about, knowing your stuff (distance between subdials on a Speedmaster, numerals colour/shade on a Submariner, datewheel depth on many other models, etc) as well as assessing other potential signs (yes, all that crap about driving a Prius and sporting a Daytona, which I don't fully agree but that's another topic).

The latter is just plain being an absolute douchebag and it only makes the caller look like a total dickhead. Plain and simple. There is never any positive reason for anyone to call out anyone's watch. Not even if someone is bragging about his Ceramic Faketona. Anyone calling someone out deserves a proper kick in the nuts.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Guys, we aren't talking about NOTICING a replica watch, but CALLING OUT a replica watch (and I add, "calling out in public"). There is a massive difference between these two.

The first one requires all that judgement you talk about, knowing your stuff (distance between subdials on a Speedmaster, numerals colour/shade on a Submariner, datewheel depth on many other models, etc) as well as assessing other potential signs (yes, all that crap about driving a Prius and sporting a Daytona, which I don't fully agree but that's another topic).

The latter is just plain being an absolute douchebag and it only makes the caller look like a total dickhead. Plain and simple. There is never any positive reason for anyone to call out anyone's watch. Not even if someone is bragging about his Ceramic Faketona. Anyone calling someone out deserves a proper kick in the nuts.

Well said!

danno7778

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/5/19
The only time I experienced this was about 10 years ago, before I started buying reps. I had a gen Rolex GMT, a pepsi. I was told by a work colleague that it was easy to tell it was a fake, because "Rolex wouldn't make a watch with those garish colours"!!! For the past 7 or 8 years I've always worn reps of various brands, and never been called out! I think the moral of the story is that 99% of people just don't know what they are looking at.