• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

People calling your watch fake..... for no reason

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
If she's a female tell her it's as fake as her face is. Always gets them.

Reactions: QueTip

whalejonah

6/4/19
Yes, I do agree that most of the time it's an envious kneejerk reaction rather than actual doubt (having logical reasons for suspecting that it's a rep), Most of the people who are able to spot the differences are on this forum...

Kernow

Renowned Member
2/9/13
People think that they’re being smart - spotting a fake. Some just try to belittle people to make themselves look/feel better. I had it many moons ago when I was with friends out drinking. Some were single guys others had their girlfriends along. One of the group: a friend of a friend (actually an arsehole friend of a friend) asked “do you enjoy playing with your fake Rolex?” It happened to be a TC sub and he’d not even taken a close look at it, rather he was just being a dick. My retort was “oh yes, just like you like playing with your girlfriends fake tits”. A few giggled, some were quiet, his girlfriend went red and he never uttered a word to me for the rest of the night. Turned out I was correct- hers were just as ‘fake’ as my watch!

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
People think that they’re being smart - spotting a fake. Some just try to belittle people to make themselves look/feel better. I had it many moons ago when I was with friends out drinking. Some were single guys others had their girlfriends along. One of the group: a friend of a friend (actually an arsehole friend of a friend) asked “do you enjoy playing with your fake Rolex?” It happened to be a TC sub and he’d not even taken a close look at it, rather he was just being a dick. My retort was “oh yes, just like you like playing with your girlfriends fake tits”. A few giggled, some were quiet, his girlfriend went red and he never uttered a word to me for the rest of the night. Turned out I was correct- hers were just as ‘fake’ as my watch!

Fake boobs, fake lives, fake faces, women can get away with that crap but us men can’t indulge in some rep watches nooo sir! :D

Reactions: Doc_Savage

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I have never got called out, but then again I don't wear Rolex. Me weighing 200 lbs might have something to do with it as well.

The whole thing is just silly, my tattoos cost more than any of my watches and I can't even sell them if I needed.

In addition to that, how hard is it to save up $10k?

I come from a family where my father was on early retirement from a chronic condition and my mother was a low income person. I worked my ass of and invested my money wisely. I could easily afford to buy several gens but I rather spend that money on my kids and work less.

Last edited:

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I used to believe all watches were gen until I came across this forum! I even went out of my way to buy exact rep copies of my gens to find out how bad I got burned with big gen cost. (Still kept gens just don’t where them lol). If asked about any of my pieces I reply “ I forgot to ask when I bought it” gets us all thinking lol

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
This was me as well. I knew fake rolexes were a thing but I never knew they were this good. If I saw a Rolex in person and it wasn’t a ticking quartz shitter I assumed it was real.

Got called out once because my submariner was sweeping, they claimed it was supposed to tick :megalol:

xkqwts

Known Member
21/2/17
On the one hand it's people feeling the need to put you down (or are projecting since they don't have the money themselves/are too stingy to blow 10k on a watch), on ther other it's simply what you get for wearing the most over-repped watch brand in existence. Same thing with women and LV bags - it's an overpriced status symbol and most people wearing them don't get nearly as much enjoyment from the thing itself as from the status which it symbolizes, which is again questionable since there is probably the same (if not more) amount of reps out there as gens.

In the end, people judge the wearer, not the watch. If you're the "full package", let's say a doctor driving an Audi and wearing that sub with a suit, you will never get a comment besides "nice watch". There's a plethora of threads on rolexforums from people reporting, complaining or even being happy about that their watch never gets noticed.

Doc_Savage

Amor Fati
Supporter
Certified
18/3/19
Michigan
...In the end, people judge the wearer, not the watch. If you're the "full package", let's say a doctor driving an Audi and wearing that sub with a suit, you will never get a comment besides "nice watch". There's a plethora of threads on rolexforums from people reporting, complaining or even being happy about that their watch never gets noticed.
While this idea is true in many aspects of life, I disagree about watches. I earn a good living, people see me wearing my gen Omegas and other Swiss watches (I have 25 Swiss watches). They talked to me about them, they know that they are higher-end Swiss watches. But as soon as I bought my gen Sub, I got a couple of questions about if it was fake or not. These folks knew I could afford a real Rolex, but there's just something in the air about fake Rolexes. They hear other people ask the questions in other situations, and it just pops out of them.

It is certainly rude and inappropriate behavior, but people ask the question almost as a knee-jerk reaction to seeing a Rolex. They don't know they're being rude - they just have no manners.

I'm currently on the hunt for a rep for my Sub, because I find myself not wearing the gen Sub in situations where it might get banged up. I like wearing the Sub, so the rep will fill a perfect need for me.

Got called out once because my submariner was sweeping, they claimed it was supposed to tick :megalol:
Wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929 and csthe

fireice2

Known Member
4/3/19
I recently got myself an AP 15400 rep. Not a particularly good one since it has the wrong hands. The hands on my 15400 is for the 15300. I wore this watch in several occasions with fellow lawyers and several people from high society but I never got called out. I also wore it in my recent conference with a billionaire client who was wearing a gen Rolex Daytona Red Dial. Again, I never got called out. More importantly, I never got called out in my own firm by my senior partner who loves watches as well! More often than not, I get asked for tips about suits, shoes, cars, gadgets and watches.

My wife also told me that she gets of compliments when she borrows my watches! Her friends and colleagues in the medical field did not believe her when she said she was wearing her husband's fake watch. Some of them even teased her of "humble bragging". :p

My take in all this is that people don't really care what watch you are wearing and even if they do care, they will refuse to believe you're wearing a rep if your profession and social standing says otherwise.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
People are weird when it comes to money. Most of it is jealousy. Even if such makes no sense.

I used to ride a BMW motorcycle. A very nice and expensive (for a motorcycle) bike. Someone told me once I made too much money if I could afford a "toy" like that.

Well:

1. They were wrong. Their car was wort a good bit more than my motorcycle and truck combined. The MC was my primary vehicle for years and I ended up putting over 124,000 miles on it. I had a $2000 truck I used when weather was bad, other than that I rode my MC all the time.

2. WTF business is it of theirs.

On second thought, just No. 2

WTF business is it of theirs.

Reactions: Itto and Doc_Savage

btobias

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
15/3/15
While this idea is true in many aspects of life, I disagree about watches. I earn a good living, people see me wearing my gen Omegas and other Swiss watches (I have 25 Swiss watches). They talked to me about them, they know that they are higher-end Swiss watches. But as soon as I bought my gen Sub, I got a couple of questions about if it was fake or not. These folks knew I could afford a real Rolex, but there's just something in the air about fake Rolexes. They hear other people ask the questions in other situations, and it just pops out of them.

It is certainly rude and inappropriate behavior, but people ask the question almost as a knee-jerk reaction to seeing a Rolex. They don't know they're being rude - they just have no manners.

I'm currently on the hunt for a rep for my Sub, because I find myself not wearing the gen Sub in situations where it might get banged up. I like wearing the Sub, so the rep will fill a perfect need for me.

It sums up pretty much the topic. First, one brand is mainly linked to fake. Try to pair it with Louis Vuitton luggage and you will obtain the perfect counterfeit kit. On the other hand, behaviors like these depends on education and social environment. I was told that a gen Rlx I wore was fake once just for its overall appearance (banking domain so in a suit all time hard to see it clearly 99% of the time) and a rep of the same model never brought any comment when surrounded by high level education people, whether they asked themselves the question or not.

This applies to every object that is related to wealth, even with the fake side out of the picture. Some people will feel better talking about others life choices.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
OK let me tell you a story. This is a true story. I used to have a (not so) great BP Submariner, which I really liked because by that time it was the best option as TC was out of business already. The bracelet was super rattly and the edges could be used to carve ebony, mahogany and adamantium.

I was in Singapore for a business trip, in a meeting with six executives from the Project Finance division at SMBC when one of them complimented my watch. I told her "why thank you, your Aquanaut is also very nice" and we carried on.

At the end of the meeting, she approached me and in a loud voice she said "I meant your watch is nice FOR A FAKE".

I was shocked. That nice woman was no more a nice woman. She was evil incarnate. She was worse than ketchup on your 60 day aged kobe beef sirloin! Worse than ice on a good single malt! So, what did I do?

​​​​​​...I swiftly pivoted my feet and in the blink of an eye positioned myself at her back. Grabbed her forefront with my right hand and put my left hand with my loyal BP Sub with the sharper-than-a-million-razorblades-bracelet right by her neck. AND IN A QUICK MOVEMENT I SLIT HER THROAT WITH NO REMORSE! The blood sprayed the massive glass window on their 35th floor, as well as two samurai armors that were in display.

I let go her body, and she dropped at the floor like a big bag of coffee (arabica of course). Looked in the face to all the other attendees, slowly reached out for her Aquanaut and put it in my pocket.

All of them slowly started clapping and nodding at me. They also invited me to dinner and drinks for the rest of the week. The best day of my life.

The lesson here: do not let anyone laugh at your fake watch. Wear your replicas proudly, my son. Wear it proudly!

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
Get this whether wearing a gen rolex or rep rolex. If anyone asks about my watches (gen or fake) I just tell them its a fake anyway as standard.

Oddly when I wear a gen I'm looking to be low key and go unnoticed where as if I'm wearing a rep I (sadly) flaunt it more ??

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
I only got into watches after moving to Japan some 12 years ago. I didn't feel comfortable buying gens yet at that time but found out about reps and started collecting, particularly Panerai. I have bought many gens since then and continue to collect both.

One thing I quickly learned is that living and working where I do - Shibuya and Minato areas of Tokyo - is that there are SO many nice watches no one would ever think to call me out. When you see several Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens, Astons, etc while on your daily stroll you realize how unimportant watches can be...

I have had some nice compliments in my reps and gens. My wife wears her AP and Hublot reps to the office and gets admiring looks.

As said before I think it is about where and who you are more than what is in your wrist. Also goes without saying that Japanese are a fair bit more polite and reserved than my fellow Americans back home...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nooballert

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/12/17
I just had a guy calling my V9 a fake from atleast 3-5 meters away, it was halfway up my jacket sleeve. first i thought he was jealous, but is there a dead giveaway on the V9, that someone could see from that far away?

I was lost for words to be honest.

Reactions: Bobcat12345