• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

People calling your watch fake..... for no reason

Darthcrab

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
8/6/17
UK
How often do you guys come across this?

You could be sat there at work and someone spies the rolex logo and instantly, with no knowledge will say, fake rolex? Or ask if it's real, or straight up, that's fake.
often I'll just say, oh? How so. Show me. And they can't. They just reply with, it must be.

maybe I can get the guys at work. But I had this with a random guy who was moving in next door to me and I helped him woth some boxes. And to be honest, my apartment block is one where wearing a gen would be absolutely feasible.
Just straight up said, is that real.

I get it isn't, and texhnical they are right.
but they don't know that, and just assume everything is fake.
I have a gen omega seamaster and its never been questioned. Maybe lesser know brand to non watxh guys.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Most people are envious and try to bring other people down. They will try to get a reaction for their own satisfaction, with you he succeeded, you’re still thinking about what he said...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Darthcrab

Banned
8/6/17
UK
Tbh. It was more of a conversation than, he hurt my feelings.
more of the reason and psychology behind why people instantly look to call something fake without really knowing if it is, or the capacity to point out why.

Not really something I've swelled on, more so. I see a post on here about someone going to Italy and worried about going to jail for wearing a rep, when how would someone know without stopping you and examining it.
then it made me think,, actually, people call watches fake all the time. I've had it a couple of times. Who else gets this.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
That's what comes with wearing a Rolex, the most faked brand in the world. I must be honest whenever I see someone wearing a Rolex I too automatically think fake and start looking for tells.

try wearing an omega, tag or iwc and people are far less suspicious probably because they don't know what their looking at.

thats why my daily wear is a planet ocean,

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
dont call me out ! ............

........ I know Muai Tai, Brazillian Ju Jitzu, and a little thing I like to call "i nailed your mom". I'm so bad ass, there isn't one little kid in any of my karate classes that even wants to spar with me cause i UNLEASH THE FURY! Yeah I've got a small penis and nobody likes me, but I drive a porsche worth more than your LIFE so **** you! Like the other day, I was walking down the street and this little old lady told me she liked my watch, so I said, "What **** you! It's not fake!" So I went into karate mode and SCISSOR KICKED HER IN THE FACE! *WHAM BAM* Then I pulled her up by her hair but her wig came off, turns out she was bald! *GROSS* ******* old people. Then I picked her up by the ears and kneed her in the face muai tai style! *BLADOW* And I was like "That's what you get for walking so slow bitch! AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU COULD KNOW MY WATCH IS FAKE, CAUSE IT'S NOT, IT'S A MODDED MBW SUPER DUPER ULTIMATE SUB, AND IT'S REAL! REAL I SAY! IT USES THE SAME MOVEMENT MOST REAL WATCHES DO ANYWAY, IT'S SWISS ETA, IT'S A DIVISION OF SWATCH, PLUS I BOUGHT IT FOR A GOOD VALUE, NOT CAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD A REAL ONE CAUSE I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON KARATE CLASSES, SO **** YOU! OH, AND I DRIVE A PORSCHE WORTH MORE THAN YOUR GRANDCHILDREN!" *KAZAAM* Yeah, I showed her what's what. That's the last time she'll be calling me out on my watch. But I gtg, I'm late for yoga class WHERE I PICK UP CHICKS LIKE YOUR MOM! AMERICA!!! **** YEAH!!!

(repost from classic thread )

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
They also probably wanna buy a rep but don't know where to buy good quality ones. Maybe that's their trick to make you give them a TD contact? :D

Reactions: Bovam

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

You could be sat there at work and someone spies the rolex logo and instantly, with no knowledge will say, fake rolex? Or ask if it's real, or straight up, that's fake.
often I'll just say, oh? How so. Show me. And they can't. They just reply with, it must be.

maybe I can get the guys at work. But I had this with a random guy who was moving in next door to me and I helped him woth some boxes. And to be honest, my apartment block is one where wearing a gen would be absolutely feasible.

I have a gen omega seamaster and its never been questioned. Maybe lesser know brand to non watxh guys.

well, i always say that the biggest tell of a rep is yourself. if you have a lifestyle that can justify your rep, then you don't have to worry about being called out because people won't suspect it to be a rep.

The average person is ignorant about tells and errors in reps, only us can discern them, they will judge you before your watch

Darthcrab

Banned
8/6/17
UK
Agree. I do see people wearing a rolex for eg, which work part time and live on benefits.
so as you say, biggest tell is the person and lifestyle.
in all honesty like most on here, I could finance a rolex submariner, and me having a gen one isn't out of the realms of possibility with my job/salary. (I have a gen seamester 300)

meh, just one of those things I guess. No biggie.

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
I purchased a Tag about 20 years ago for $1100 brand new and the first person to notice was my brother-in-law. Without hesitation he called it a knockoff. It was real!! I still have it and 2 battery changes later and a few cleanings it still works great. I believe he was wearing a Timex. Need I say more. He now owns a real Rolex that was left to him and you cannot tell the difference between my Replica and his $4000 DateJust, other than mine looked better. His comment “You finally broke down and bought a real one.”

Darthcrab

Banned
8/6/17
UK
they will judge you before your watch

As said, live in an apartment block where having a rolex wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Where it was questioned once.
job I have is pretty well payed and again, the cars people drive are of good value ect.

But still doubt over rolex being gen. Never had it with the omega, which is a 3k watch.
so it's not a matter of people looking at me and saying, not a chance on this earth he could afford one.

Darthcrab

Banned
8/6/17
UK
I purchased a Tag about 20 years ago for $1100 brand new and the first person to notice was my brother-in-law. Without hesitation he called it a knockoff. It was real!! I still have it and 2 battery changes later and a few cleanings it still works great. I believe he was wearing a Timex. Need I say more. He now owns a real Rolex that was left to him and you cannot tell the difference between my Replica and his $4000 DateJust, other than mine looked better. His comment “You finally broke down and bought a real one.”

Exactly my point of this. You got it.
the first thing people say is, fake.

my brother has a gen tag as a wedding gift from his wife. And first thing a mutual friend said was, is that a China copy?
He was wearing some crappy gucci watch

Reactions: Gfpatt

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Back in the old days when I was an entry level accountant driving a beat-up honda civic, my ultra rich dickhead client shouted in front of his team and my coleagues “where did you get your fake rolex?”. I was stunned and quietly answered “...Asia...”. He then said “stick with Timex”.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
Back in the old days when I was an entry level accountant driving a beat-up honda civic, my ultra rich dickhead client shouted in front of his team and my coleagues “where did you get your fake rolex?”. I was stunned and quietly answered “...Asia...”. He then said “stick with Timex”.

When I was in sales, I enjoyed taking dickhead clients money. Lol

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

you should have told him "your Mom " ;)

Sedonut

Banned
31/7/17
Ask them " Why, do you wish you could afford a real one too ?". " I can tell you are too cheap/poor to buy a real one." " I picked it up at the Rolex store in Geneva. I like Geneva, ever been there?" " How much did you pay?' Answer "Enough. " " It was my birthday present to me, I'm worth it. I deserve the best. " It depends on the person. I can afford a real one, no one I care to reply to would ask if it was real. No one ever asked if my real stainless and gold GMT master was real. I never wore it in the low rent district.

It's a rude question, it deserves a rude reply.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

You should have kicked his ultra rich punk ass - in front of his team and your colleagues. Violence is the great equaliser - it transcends financial status. Just my 2c...

SRower003

18/11/09
I once sat across from my doctor and he said nice fake sub. I asked him why he felt is was a fake. He told me that he could tell because the watch didn’t have a magnifier on the date. I told him it was a Sea Dweller and as such wouldn’t have a cyclops on the date. He then apologized and said he didn’t really know a lot about Rolex’s but always admired them. I shared some genuine sites where he could learn more. He ended up buying a gen GMT. We’ve had many great conversations about watches. I’m now careful just to wear gens when I see him.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK

Most popular watch brand and most faked. You don’t have to know anything about watches to know what rolex is. Those sorts of comments come out of envy ( hoping that the off chance your watch wasn’t real) he was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I once sat across from my doctor and he said nice fake sub. I asked him why he felt is was a fake. He told me that he could tell because the watch didn’t have a magnifier on the date. I told him it was a Sea Dweller and as such wouldn’t have a cyclops on the date. He then apologized and said he didn’t really know a lot about Rolex’s but always admired them. I shared some genuine sites where he could learn more. He ended up buying a gen GMT. We’ve had many great conversations about watches. I’m now careful just to wear gens when I see him.

Yep, no cyclops no rolex haha

Sent from the RWI mobile app