• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What has the Rep. game taught me. What about you?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Hi before getting into the rep game I have no idea what is an incabloc, what are pallets on the balance wheel, canon pinion etc... a couple of the initial watches that I purchased had issues with their movements and as a consequence doing research and reading has imparted an appreciation for the inner workings of the watch.
my goal is learn to service a movement eventually and doing it on a 120 dollar Miyota is less daunting that a gen movement.

Another thing I've learnt in this hobby: boy oh boy, those 9015 aren't an easy task, haha. I'll start with a 2824 probably, but that's something that's a bit far from me at the moment.

Doc_Savage

Amor Fati
Certified
18/3/19
Michigan

#3. I am condoning the counterfeit business by purchasing fake watches.
I did not care about politics behind fake watches until my friend mentioned that, by purchasing fake watches, I am supporting the Chinese counterfeit business that is... not a very good thing.
I kind of feel bad when I think of this, but I at this moment, I just don't want to care about politics behind fake Chinese watches, but rather enjoy the products...

Alex
This one gives me trouble, too. It's hard for me to ignore the reality of what I am supporting, and I haven't even purchased one yet. Aarg!

Doc Savage

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
This one gives me trouble, too. It's hard for me to ignore the reality of what I am supporting, and I haven't even purchased one yet. Aarg!

Doc Savage

Did you know that Briggs and Straton has a patent on many designs/parts that are needed to make small gas engines (lawn mower/portable power plants etc)?
Also, that many (most?) made in China engines do not pay royalties to BnS when they use designs similar to what BnS has patented?
Using an off-brand motor “supports” the same infringement that we are talking about here.

Dont know about you, but I have no idea about the licensing involved with what’s in my garage. I also don’t plan on being more meticulous about buying weed whackers.

Doc_Savage

Amor Fati
Certified
18/3/19
Michigan
Did you know that Briggs and Straton has a patent on many designs/parts that are needed to make small gas engines (lawn mower/portable power plants etc)?
Also, that many (most?) made in China engines do not pay royalties to BnS when they use designs similar to what BnS has patented?
Using an off-brand motor “supports” the same infringement that we are talking about here.

Dont know about you, but I have no idea about the licensing involved with what’s in my garage. I also don’t plan on being more meticulous about buying weed whackers.
Briggs & Stratton has been making engines in China since the mid-80s. In addition, they have violated other companies' patents on their mowers and lost in court and been forced to pay fines.

But what we are talking about is apples and oranges. When Briggs & Stratton manufactures their product in China, they are doing daily work to protect their intellectual property rights. Also, when a company from China sells their products in stores in the US, our government at least has a legitimate path in which to block any items which can be shown to violate American patents. TBH it's a night and day difference between that and the replicas we discuss here.

Doc Savage

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Please oh please don't turn this thread into a discussion about morality of buying counterfeit items. Please...

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I'll change directions and focus on TD's and payments.

You will soon find a favorite TD or maybe a couple of them depending on service, responsiveness and so on but for me, it was mainly payment. Talk about teaching....you will learn a lot about transaction fees and exchange rates.

If you can get your favorite TD to let you use PayPal, that's the cheapest way to pay for your purchases. I use PayPal with a travel VISA as not to incur foreign exchange fees as well as no wiring fee. So far for me Western Union is the worst. If you use WU and a standard VISA, you will end up paying the wire fee (my last one was 67 USD), a foreign exchange fee (usually just a couple of $$$) and with my bank card, a 5% VISA cash withdrawal fee (WU treats the charge as cash). It really adds up and I only do it if I have to use that vendor for the watch I want. I refrain from using a straight CC as I only have VISA and most TD's only take MC right now for some reason or bitcoin (too much hassle for those who know nothing about it).

Omega703

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
gwbmcse;n7757546. So far for me Western Union is the worst. If you use WU and a standard VISA said:
I prefer WU. My TD gives me a 10% discount and the wire fee is 7$. I use the a WU app and stop by my local drug store on my way to work to drop off the $. It is too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk