• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First experience with an A2813 and question...

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I have more reps than I like to admit but normally go for a higher end rep. This time, I picked up a DJ2 with the 2813 because this was the only movement my favorite TD could get this particular combination of colors in. So my question to those that own a watch with this movement, when hand winding, does the main spring ever gain tension? I know automatic have a mechanism that causes the mainspring to slip so it doesnt over wind but this one doesnt seem to gain tension at all, doesn't click or anything but just seems to wind smoothly. It does seem to be working with a decent reserve but I wonder if all the winding is actually coming from the rotor and I have a problem with the keyless work?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
There is an easy way to find out. Let it run down all the way until it stops. Once it is stopped wind it up. Wind it about 50 or 60 times and set it aside and don't wear it. Come back and check to see if it still working every so often until you notice that it has stopped. If it is winding mostly by the rotor it won't run for more than a few hours. If it runs more than 24 or 30 hours you know it is fine. If it only makes it a few hours then you know there is a problem.

The good news is that if there is a problem this movement can be replaced for about $30. All you have to do is open up the watch, drop the movement out, remove the hands and dial from the old movement & then just reverse the whole process with the new movement & you are all set.