• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help please: I'm finding it impossible to choose a Rep or Dealer

Russell66

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/19
I think you should spend a little more time here to learn which hot items among members, how the rep world works, the factories, and how the trusted dealers operates.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Sure agreed, i struggle in all areas to understand and make sense of what others seem to find easy. I work much like a watch if there is a small cog missing in my mind nothing at all turns. I have learnt to go looking for the small cog. Thats why i ask so many questions. Thanks

Russell66

26/3/19
re: Vary quite a lot - what is quite a lot? If you look at the TD's carrying the same watch, you'll find the price to be close and not vary by $50 to $100; which to me is quite a lot. Keep in mind the comparison needs to be of the same watch from the same maker.

True there may be the same model watch but from different makers and you'll find a price range that varies greatly based on quality of the watch. If you want something as close to gen based on weight, material and workmanship, expect to pay more than a similar model that's made from lesser quality materials and workmanship.

Your quest for a $150 Explorer will fall into the latter example. Best value is relative based on your tolerance of material quality, workmanship and perhaps availability.

Ok from what i hear you saying...

Most TD's are closely matched on pricing.

But how do i know where they are made, some mention it but others don't.

Also the accurate glass for an Explorer appears to be Sapphire but many sites are silent on Glass material, is that because at the TD level it is assumed at least the glass is accurate?

A quick look through a few TD's revealed Explorer 2 starting at about $140 going up to $500. Some photography looks better than others, but looking beyond the photographic skills I can see little difference. They all look well made, and my personal disposition is likely going to be happy with the cheaper one. Unless i have the more expensive one next to it, thus realising what i am missing.

So answering my own question, buy the cheaper one till i learn more and then change it if i am unhappy latter.

And now i would need to ask the TD for specification and place of manufacture of the watch and like anything go shopping if i would like to find a better price.

One other thing, on the TD list they have names of sub forums which seem to relate to web sites, yet they don't all bring up web sites. Is this a product of the industry with ever moving sites and a bit of googling is required. Or am i in the wrong place and missing the links?

Thanks

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
Ok from what i hear you saying...

Most TD's are closely matched on pricing.

But how do i know where they are made, some mention it but others don't.

Also the accurate glass for an Explorer appears to be Sapphire but many sites are silent on Glass material, is that because at the TD level it is assumed at least the glass is accurate?

A quick look through a few TD's revealed Explorer 2 starting at about $140 going up to $500. Some photography looks better than others, but looking beyond the photographic skills I can see little difference. They all look well made, and my personal disposition is likely going to be happy with the cheaper one. Unless i have the more expensive one next to it, thus realising what i am missing.

So answering my own question, buy the cheaper one till i learn more and then change it if i am unhappy latter.

And now i would need to ask the TD for specification and place of manufacture of the watch and like anything go shopping if i would like to find a better price.

One other thing, on the TD list they have names of sub forums which seem to relate to web sites, yet they don't all bring up web sites. Is this a product of the industry with ever moving sites and a bit of googling is required. Or am i in the wrong place and missing the links?

Thanks

Manufacturers (makers) are, to name a few, noob, BP, gmf, arf, omf, jf and to understand differences, you'll have to read the reviews and forum threads in this forum. Bear in mind you're buying a replica and if you want an explorer that's highly accurate you'll have to get it from the R factory.

TDs generally list the maker so if you dont find it on one site, check another.

It's up to TDs to maintain their website; their primary business is selling replicas whether they choose to maintain links to sites is up to them.

Reactions: Russell66

KraftMac

Bluebox Champ
5/4/14
Central TX
Only you know what you will be happy with.

The quality we get from our TDs is pretty consistent for both quality and service once you make that first order or two.

Are the TD in some sort of cahoots with price fixing around the 3_500 mark for a majority of models.from the factories we know them for? Possibly.
But the alternative is buying from unknown DH type sellers that have reviews from people that may or may not care about quality on the same level as some of us.
Prices are all over the place, all over the web. From a $60 DH rolex up to several thousand for BS advertising "A+++ Swiss Grade" blah blah blah.

Worth the risk? Nah. The RWI boards, once you start really reading, should answer most of your questions. They've all bean asked, and answered many times over. But you can judge who you think has similar tastes or expectations as you and choose to listen to reasoning and experience.

I say buy a $300 whatever from one of the TD and report back how you think it compares to your previous purchases. Only you can know what you have and if our choices are worth it.

KraftMac

Bluebox Champ
5/4/14
Central TX
Sidenote, I know you said you didn't care about accuracy to gen, but I would love to see some quality pics of your reps and what you paid for each.

I think you will be amazed at how some of these guys on here can quickly and accurately point out flaws and compare to gen and known good reps at "x" price.

Possibly even guess at the factory/maker if there are tells and ones we are familiar with as far as the "good factories".

Russell66

26/3/19
Sidenote, I know you said you didn't care about accuracy to gen, but I would love to see some quality pics of your reps and what you paid for each.

I think you will be amazed at how some of these guys on here can quickly and accurately point out flaws and compare to gen and known good reps at "x" price.

Possibly even guess at the factory/maker if there are tells and ones we are familiar with as far as the "good factories".

Oh now im looking and learning I can for sure tell some easy differences, for example i have realised that my Hublot King Power THe Special One has a date hole to show the date but the rest of the numbers are printed. The original moves. It's not that i don't care about all comparisons, some are important to me. Like the one i just mentioned, it is on my list to upgrade to the same watch but better.

And what you say is right, i just read a great thread that directed me to the best sea dweller for $450, so that was cool.

One of the problems is i love the watches but have too many kids, hobbies and wifes to accomodate spending hours on this one, and I'm quickly realising thats what it takes.

I would post pics for you guys to pick my watches apart and in fact tried. But i seem to have restictions. Maybe coz im new here. And it wont let me.

Anyway Thanks for the advice.

Russell66

26/3/19
Ok thats not the best shot just wanted to try it quickly based on the info given. Ill get some more now I know it works.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
One of the problems is i love the watches but have too many kids, hobbies and wifes to accomodate spending hours on this one, and I'm quickly realising thats what it takes.

Anyway Thanks for the advice.

How many wives do you have, and are they all located in one place or distributed around geographically ??

I can empathize with you, and some advise, you need accurate timekeeping to keep to your schedule, day or night so forget reps, just wear a quartz, and a gen quartz at that!

Russell66

26/3/19

Russell66

26/3/19
How many wives do you have, and are they all located in one place or distributed around geographically ??

I can empathize with you, and some advise, you need accurate timekeeping to keep to your schedule, day or night so forget reps, just wear a quartz, and a gen quartz at that!

I am a relationship mentor and run seminars. I have the best wife and she is awesome.

So only one, however it can still feel like one too many when youre trying to fit in a new hobby. LOL

Reactions: tkingjr

lenart98

3/9/17
Thats great advice...

It does sound like the DHgate watch was cheaper than the TD watch. I have seen more expensive watches on DHgate, i wonder how they would compare. I guess the real question is who is offering the better deal? But i also think thats why there is the TD at least you know what your getting. Spending more on DHgate may be a risk.

Did you buy Quartz or Mechanical on DHgate? Is it still working? Do you think it is worth upgrading the band, it sounds like the actual watch is not too bad? Also if you don't mind how much did you spend at the Gate?

Thanks

You guys not noticed that ALL watches on DHgate don't have the brand on the watch?? So, def. not apples to apples about what we are talking here. This whole thread kinda goes nowhere. Hey, where are you going?? Nowhere.

lenart98

3/9/17

Yes, it's always a financial balancing act between this hobby and the other Hobby.... :bull:

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Hi Russell,

First of all welcome to RWI!

Secondly, this hobby needs a lot of time for comprehension after a lot of reading. That's why when experienced members give their recommendation it still seems confusing.

Before I signed up here I spend six months of reading for hours every day. Even then, still, I was embarrassed about my questions and the little grasp I had about the material.
Nevertheless, because I showed my willingness to research some members took kindly to me (thanks again seriph, Nivka, tripdog, etc.)

In your case you don't seem to have that time and because you seem to be a great guy here is my recommendation:

Contact Sead by writing him an email [email protected]
Ask him about AP 15202 quartz. It will cost around $139
Please, use short precise sentences!

If you want to look into cheaper yet quality mechanical watches consider Narikaa:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/narikaa

His "Regmariner" (Rolex, Submariner) is legendary.

Good luck!

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I am a relationship mentor and run seminars. I have the best wife and she is awesome.

So only one, however it can still feel like one too many when youre trying to fit in a new hobby. LOL

Russell, get a panerai 111 by noob factory. It’s an amazing rep for a good prize. Try intime or torobravo - they’re good TDs for you

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
You guys not noticed that ALL watches on DHgate don't have the brand on the watch?? So, def. not apples to apples about what we are talking here. This whole thread kinda goes nowhere. Hey, where are you going?? Nowhere.
Choose a watch on DHGate, contact the seller and and ask for real pics ... WITH the brand ????

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Yes, it's always a financial balancing act between this hobby and the other Hobby.... :bull:

Frankly I agree. I have a self imposed moratorium where I will not buy another piece till the watch I sent back to TD returns with acceptable performance. So with all the $$s saved ....