• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

noisy rotor

Alan_T

Known Member
28/7/13
Evening guys,

recently picked up a breitling transocean, absolutely love it!

however its got a really noisy rotor, it winds smooth as butter, just noisy whenever you move your wrist around.

so my question is, what is stopping me from removing the rotor and essentially turning it into a hand wind watch? its got a solid casebook so wouldn't be obvious its been removed.

or, is there anything i can do to quieten it down a bit?

cheers!

Alan

Unknownwatchmaker

Renowned Member
Certified
27/11/15
Boston, MA
There are some threads around about how to attempt to silence the rotor. I have had limited success with this. Additionally one of the US based watch repair guys listed here on RWI does some rotor silencing — give it a search and you’ll find him. He also sells 15400s and Daytonas that have already been silenced.

You should be able to remove the rotor without any deleterious effects, best I can tell.

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
I've been doing a fair amount of research into this. The first thing I'd suggest is to Google "silence rotor rwi" and you'll find a bunch of threads you can read though that may help you make a decision on how you should proceed.
​​​

Alan_T

Known Member
28/7/13
thanks for the advice,

so you're aware, i pulled the rotor off, packed the bearing with grease and re installed and its now completely silent.

really happy with the result!

Alan.

Reactions: Pietros

Redfoot

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/4/19
California
What grease did you use? I wouldn't want it to spread elsewhere in the movement...

Alan_T

Known Member
28/7/13
I used moebius watch grease.

enough to coat the bearing races but not enough to worry about it spreading anywhere else.

Reactions: Redfoot

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Evening guys,

recently picked up a breitling transocean, absolutely love it!

however its got a really noisy rotor, it winds smooth as butter, just noisy whenever you move your wrist around.

so my question is, what is stopping me from removing the rotor and essentially turning it into a hand wind watch? its got a solid casebook so wouldn't be obvious its been removed.

or, is there anything i can do to quieten it down a bit?

cheers!

Alan

What movement is it ??? If it's an Asian ETA clone it is very unusual that it is noisy . The rotor is probably lose and needs tightening , no need for mobius oil . I had a genuine with an ETA movement the rotor was very noisy just needed the central pin tightening.

If it is a Miyota ( Not sure if they do rep transoceans with these ) then these are always noisy . The have a one way rotor which winds the watch one way but spins freely the other . Again people recommend mobius oil but I don't think this really works . Best way to solve it is to replace the rotor for a much heavier one .

Last edited:

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
The A2813 and Miyota movements are noisy, normally. The rotor can be silenced, but I read that using the wrong grease/oil may later impede the rotor's ability to properly wind-up the mainspring, resulting in lower power reserve.