• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should I leave my replica Rolex home when I go to Italy on vacation?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
In Italy right now. No problems to report on this occasion or others. Half the older teenagers I see are wearing fake AP’s at the moment - Rolex has become passé. And don’t worry about the Carabinieri - they’re not looking for watches - they only look at ass.

Enjoy the beautiful country, food and people and don‘t worry about your fake watch - no one else will.

Faj

10/3/19
For situations like that I keep a SEIKO lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
For situations like that I keep a SEIKO lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

So you wear a seiko in a dangerous place like Italy ;)

Or Muenchen or Berlin probably. And Barcelona, Madrid, Athen, Paris, ...

Reactions: Faj

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
I've been to Switzerland wearing a rep Hublot Classic Fusion. Custom's biggest concerns was just getting everyone through the line.
Frankfurt with a rep.
Malta with a rep (never got robbed).
Bratislava with a rep.

Trust me, no one cares. Just don't bring 20 reps with you.

Reactions: sunrayminor

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Why would customs waste their time trying to authenticate one watch you’re wearing.

It’s a Different scenario if you have 25 in your case though.

Italy is great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I'm just bringing one on my arms, there would be no questions or getting stopped at the airport? :)

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I've been to Switzerland wearing a rep Hublot Classic Fusion. Custom's biggest concerns was just getting everyone through the line.
Frankfurt with a rep.
Malta with a rep (never got robbed).
Bratislava with a rep.

Trust me, no one cares. Just don't bring 20 reps with you.

So if I'm just bringing one on my arms, there would be no questions or getting stopped at the airport? :)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
No not stupid try it in Paris..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that have to do with my comment and the subject ? You really need to learn how to read before you comment on this forum

OP had a legitimate concern about Italy based on biased facts, this has been well corrected in this thread.

Reps are illegal in France, talk to me about it, I live here and had judicial function here too ... While there is the law, there's also the practical aspect of the law, and unless you go shove your rep under a custom agent nose, outside airports, wearing a rep is a grey area here, and customs agent have certainly more efficient ways to chase them than looking for them in the street or even on you at an airport.

As always have some common sense as a citizen and foreigner when you enter or live in your country

Reactions: cyblade

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
From Milano
00979a5f9e3048773a9cd091a1d3c3ce.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Limpy

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I'm not Italian (therefore my views are purely objective, without emotions) but I live in a country close by and I am familiar with Italy.
Why is there general consensus that there's higher percentage that someone will get robbed than not, in Italy ?
Of course, there is a high chance it will happen if:
- You visit frequent tourist areas with lot of people around
- You stick out like sour thumb (with gold chains around your neck, bling watches and waving hand, typical tourist look)
- Reckless about your belongings in said areas

Nothing happens in larger number than in Spain, for example. And 90% of the cases, it has been done by non-Italians, usually illegal immigrants from various war-troubled countries from below.
As I have personally witnessed couple of times visiting southern Italy, you are more safe in smaller areas usually associated as "mafias birth places" than in large cities in whatever country. :)

I'm not really afraid of the getting robbed. More afraid of getting stopped in the customs and getting fined etc...

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I have been 30+ times in Italy in last 6-7 years. I never saw someone looking at the watches.
Just take it with you, nobody cares IMO

Ok, so you think that I wouldn't have problem with the customs when arriving Italy and going home to Norway? :)

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Considering people on this forum can't tell between gens and reps from macro photos I don't understand how paranoid you can possibly get that someone is going to spot one on your wrist, from a distance, while you're moving.

99% of people don't know or care what you are wearing on your wrist, least of all policemen, and of the 1% who do care, less than 1% of those can spot if it's fake or gen (unless it's a modern, quartz rolex!)

If anything, a holiday is the best place to wear a rep as if it does get stolen it's no great shakes.

So in other words, I shouldn't worry about the customs / airport security when entering / leaving Italy at the airport? :)

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Even though it has the highest global distrust level amongst its own citizens, Italy is not so bad overall, not even in impoverished regions of Sicily or even Naples, at least from my own experience. There are exceptions, and the Vespa driver muggers in Rome are still in action, but they seem drawn towards $25,000 Hermes bags, and ostentatious jewelry, etc. it seems. Where I have personally experienced distantly higher rates of theft and mugging is southern Spain and Portugal... and also, sad to say, southern Florida. (Stupid me wearing a rose gold AP in front of someone clearly under the influence of the Tony Montana mythos in Miami.) Customs procedures however crossing to and fro into and out of Switzerland can be rather difficult whatever watch you are wearing, but it depends where you are coming from and where you are going to. All in all, maybe I am misinformed, but I thought we bought replicas precisely for going on trips to risky places, and left the expensive gens home when there is a perceived danger.

I'm going trom Norway, in other words I shouldn't worry about security check etc at the airport? Like when I need to leave my watch and jackets etc, going through the security check? :)

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
In Italy right now. No problems to report on this occasion or others. Half the older teenagers I see are wearing fake AP’s at the moment - Rolex has become passé. And don’t worry about the Carabinieri - they’re not looking for watches - they only look at ass.

Enjoy the beautiful country, food and people and don‘t worry about your fake watch - no one else will.

Ok, in other words, there wouldn't be a problem getting to Rome and leaving Rome and the airport at all? :)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
IS this real? :/

Yes it is, nobody here said they weren't illegal, that that they haven't had any problem as controls are rare.

Aren't you the one that was already concerned about customs when buying the rep in another thread ?

Reactions: cyblade

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Yes it is, nobody here said they weren't illegal, that that they haven't had any problem as controls are rare.

Aren't you the one that was already concerned about customs when buying the rep in another thread ?

Yes, you're right.

Faj

10/3/19
My comment is not meant against Italy or that Ia m afraid.
Its just Ironie pro Reps ;-)

I wouldn't worry about customs or police, but more if they involve the Gen brand owner.

Then One is f@cked.

I just have Reps for personal enjoyment.