• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should I leave my replica Rolex home when I go to Italy on vacation?

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Should I leave my replica Rolex home when I go to Italy on vacation?

I've heard that Italy is really strict and that you could get stopped and get a fine / jail on the airport if you are wearing replica stuff or just in general...
I wonder how those of you who have went to Italy on vacation are experiencing?
Does anyone have thoughts about this? Just thought it might be embarrassing if I get stopped while being with my colleagues.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Wear the reps! Fuckin Napolitan’s are going to cut your wrist off for it anyhow!

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Reactions: Doc_Savage

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Lol I live in Italy and never ever never ever had someone from the law enforcements question me about reolicas.

Only once in Malpensa, landing from Zurich, I was asked if my OP 39mm was new. Only for VAT issues.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Lol I live in Italy and never ever never ever had someone from the law enforcements question me about reolicas.

Only once in Malpensa, landing from Zurich, I was asked if my OP 39mm was new. Only for VAT issues.

How did you sort it out?
Well, I'm just a bit afraid since it's in Italy :p

Sedonut

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
31/7/17
I don't think I would want to get robbed for a replica. I won't wear a lot of gold chains either.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I just said: “no it is not new”, end of it ;)

Maybe it wouldn't be hurt if I wore it going to Italy...
I was just afraid I would get a fine or something for wearing rep...
I just read that Italy and Switzerland is very strict.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I went to beautiful Italy twice, once via cruise ship. Never been asked about my watch. A couple we traveled with, however, had both their watches taken by thieves at the local market. The polizia were no help. To this day, they still had no idea how it happened. So, maybe don't bring expense gens if you plan to mingle in crowded public areas?

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I went to beautiful Italy twice, once via cruise ship. Never been asked about my watch. A couple we traveled with, however, had both their watches taken by thieves at the local market. The polizia were no help. To this day, they still had no idea how it happened. So, maybe don't bring expense gens if you plan to mingle in crowded public areas?

Oh damn, I'm going by plane, so I'm a bit afraid I would get stopped by the customs on the airport.

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
I went to Milan last year for 10 days.

I went out and bought my first Apple watch 3 for the trip.

The watch took some getting used to as I wore automatics (Rolex and Omega gens and frankens), but damn, it was worth the peace of mind.

Came back and haven't worn it since.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I went to Milan last year for 10 days.

I went out and bought my first Apple watch 3 for the trip.

The watch took some getting used to as I wore automatics (Rolex and Omega gens and frankens), but damn, it was worth the peace of mind.

Came back and haven't worn it since.

So I shouldn't bring it with me? :D

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Honestly, I live between Italy and Switzerland and really, believe me :) , no one cares about your reps. Just do not take 5+ with you.. they may think you are selling them at the custom check.

Take one ir two and will have zero problems.

Being robbed it is very zone specific. Were are you going exactly?

Matty369

Supporter
Certified
24/8/16
EU
I'm not Italian (therefore my views are purely objective, without emotions) but I live in a country close by and I am familiar with Italy.
Why is there general consensus that there's higher percentage that someone will get robbed than not, in Italy ?
Of course, there is a high chance it will happen if:
- You visit frequent tourist areas with lot of people around
- You stick out like sour thumb (with gold chains around your neck, bling watches and waving hand, typical tourist look)
- Reckless about your belongings in said areas

Nothing happens in larger number than in Spain, for example. And 90% of the cases, it has been done by non-Italians, usually illegal immigrants from various war-troubled countries from below.
As I have personally witnessed couple of times visiting southern Italy, you are more safe in smaller areas usually associated as "mafias birth places" than in large cities in whatever country. :)

Reactions: xpresso

5t3f4n

WTB Slevin/Ploprof
21/9/17
Ita - Eu
I'm not Italian (therefore my views are purely objective, without emotions) but I live in a country close by and I am familiar with Italy.
Why is there general consensus that there's higher percentage that someone will get robbed than not, in Italy ?
Of course, there is a high chance it will happen if:
- You visit frequent tourist areas with lot of people around
- You stick out like sour thumb (with gold chains around your neck, bling watches and waving hand, typical tourist look)
- Reckless about your belongings in said areas

Nothing happens in larger number than in Spain, for example. And 90% of the cases, it has been done by non-Italians, usually illegal immigrants from various war-troubled countries from below.
As I have personally witnessed couple of times visiting southern Italy, you are more safe in smaller areas usually associated as "mafias birth places" than in large cities in whatever country. :)

Thanks m8.

People here seem to have a distorted and all-out view of my country

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Maybe it wouldn't be hurt if I wore it going to Italy...
I was just afraid I would get a fine or something for wearing rep...
I just read that Italy and Switzerland is very strict.

Why would customs waste their time trying to authenticate one watch you’re wearing.

It’s a Different scenario if you have 25 in your case though.

Italy is great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: freediver

rakman

11/7/15
I have been 30+ times in Italy in last 6-7 years. I never saw someone looking at the watches.
Just take it with you, nobody cares IMO

Adrenix

5/12/18
Considering people on this forum can't tell between gens and reps from macro photos I don't understand how paranoid you can possibly get that someone is going to spot one on your wrist, from a distance, while you're moving.

99% of people don't know or care what you are wearing on your wrist, least of all policemen, and of the 1% who do care, less than 1% of those can spot if it's fake or gen (unless it's a modern, quartz rolex!)

If anything, a holiday is the best place to wear a rep as if it does get stolen it's no great shakes.

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Even though it has the highest global distrust level amongst its own citizens, Italy is not so bad overall, not even in impoverished regions of Sicily or even Naples, at least from my own experience. There are exceptions, and the Vespa driver muggers in Rome are still in action, but they seem drawn towards $25,000 Hermes bags, and ostentatious jewelry, etc. it seems. Where I have personally experienced distantly higher rates of theft and mugging is southern Spain and Portugal... and also, sad to say, southern Florida. (Stupid me wearing a rose gold AP in front of someone clearly under the influence of the Tony Montana mythos in Miami.) Customs procedures however crossing to and fro into and out of Switzerland can be rather difficult whatever watch you are wearing, but it depends where you are coming from and where you are going to. All in all, maybe I am misinformed, but I thought we bought replicas precisely for going on trips to risky places, and left the expensive gens home when there is a perceived danger.

Last edited: