• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about different movements

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I recently bought a rep (a Rolex Datejust II) that was on the cheaper side and had an A2813 movement. I do my homework and I know this movement is not the best, to say the least, but it's the only movement that I could find being put in a Datejust with a grey roman dial so I bought it. It works well enough but I would really like to replace the watch movement. The look of the watch is great. Is there a reference somewhere that gives one to one replacements for different movements? Better Asian movements are fine but I may prefer ETA movements or is this something you have to try and research? Hell, it may not even be possible to replace some movements as I also have a Grand Lange rep I'd like to replace the movement in as well.

Thanks

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Upgrading to different movement may not be as easy as it seems, example from basic A2813 to better A2824.
There are several issues to consider:
1. Will the existing dial (feet) fit the new movement?
2. Will the new movement fit in the existing case (with mounting screws)?
3. Can you couple the new watch stem to existing crown? Or new tube and crown?
4. Will the existing hands sit on the new movement?

Needless to say, you need to do quite a bit of research.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I recently bought a rep (a Rolex Datejust II) that was on the cheaper side and had an A2813 movement. I do my homework and I know this movement is not the best, to say the least, but it's the only movement that I could find being put in a Datejust with a grey roman dial so I bought it. It works well enough but I would really like to replace the watch movement. The look of the watch is great. Is there a reference somewhere that gives one to one replacements for different movements? Better Asian movements are fine but I may prefer ETA movements or is this something you have to try and research? Hell, it may not even be possible to replace some movements as I also have a Grand Lange rep I'd like to replace the movement in as well.

Thanks
First point :
If you like the look of your watch and if it works well ... why would you bother replacing the movement ?

Second point :
The only movement that is a direct swap for a DG2813 (without having to change the hands and cut the dial feets) is the Miyota 8215 ... can be better than the DG2813 but not the best movement you can get

Third point :
With any other movement you could use, 2824, 2836 or else, you will have to buy a new DJ handset, cut the dial feets and solder new ones (at the right place) or use adhesive dial dots.
Plus the stem height will be different from the DG2813's one so the stem could be bent when you'll insert it in the movement.

So, as you watches seem to work well, my opinion is that you'd better keep them as they are and, while you enjoy wearing them, read and learn about movements here, check the movement's specs and dimensions on ranfft.de website, etc ...
Within a few months you will know enough about all that to swap your movements by yourself ... if your DG2813 are suddenly die.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
So you're saying to find a watchmaker who could help ;)

I think it may be better (cheaper) to sell the watch you have now and get one with the better movement.

Or, keep the A2813 as a beater watch. I have a few A2813 powered watches. They are noisy but almost as reliable as the vaunted A2824. However, I have no luck regulating any A2813 to +/- 10s/d - that's probably asking too much of a very basic automatic watch movement.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Agree with Art Tic,...I have two A2813 from 2006,...21J as these were called back then, they still run fine after 13 years....one has been serviced, I know it is not worth it as a service costs more then a new mvt but it was practising so the service was only $30....

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
First point :
If you like the look of your watch and if it works well ... why would you bother replacing the movement ?

Second point :
The only movement that is a direct swap for a DG2813 (without having to change the hands and cut the dial feets) is the Miyota 8215 ... can be better than the DG2813 but not the best movement you can get

Third point :
With any other movement you could use, 2824, 2836 or else, you will have to buy a new DJ handset, cut the dial feets and solder new ones (at the right place) or use adhesive dial dots.
Plus the stem height will be different from the DG2813's one so the stem could be bent when you'll insert it in the movement.

So, as you watches seem to work well, my opinion is that you'd better keep them as they are and, while you enjoy wearing them, read and learn about movements here, check the movement's specs and dimensions on ranfft.de website, etc ...
Within a few months you will know enough about all that to swap your movements by yourself ... if your DG2813 are suddenly die.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for this info. The reason for the post was because the rep is slowly dying. At first I thought I was not wearing it enough or keeping it wound but then I made a concerted effort to make sure the mainspring stayed tight and found that it's dropping between 1-2 minutes weekly. What I mean by that is week one, it was about 2 minutes behind so I moved it up to the correct time. Week 2, it was just under 3 minutes slow, week 3, 5 minutes slow...It's getting slower and slower so I expect it to stop altogether and was trying to preemptively find a good movement to put in it and do it myself but it sounds like the only 1:1 drop in movement is not much better. I assume I may can find a watch repair shop willing to make the customization's needed to put an ETA or a 2824-2 in. I dont mind spending the money as I would have bought the higher end rep if it was offered anyway.

As for selling the watch, I like my rep Rolex and the reason I bought it with a suspect movement was because it was the only way to get the color and dial I wanted so I wont be selling it. The outside is great, I just need the insides to hold up. I have never been real thrilled with the low beat rate of the 2813 either

So in my learning about different movements, I have ran across posts that say the DG4813 and the Miyota 8215 are direct fits for the DG2813 but the pricing on these movement does seem to make me feel like they are not very good movements either. So, from those of us, mainly me, who doesnt know everything there is to know about movements to those of you that do...If you had to replace a2813 in your DateJust II, which road would you take?

Thanks

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
Try wearing the watch for a few days and see if it does the same thing with losing time. If it lessons, it is just because you are not wearing, there may be nothing wrong with the movement.