• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Recommendation of a cheap watch tool to remove links from ARF rolex?

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Hi guys, I'm new in the rep game.

I own a couple ARF reps, but I find it hard to remove the screws in order to add or remove links.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what tools I should order to do this? Maybe from where?

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
exilen where do you live? I would recommend the screwdriver set on Amazon if you are CONUS, or ebay if not. You don't need to spend a lot, but you need to ensure you get the right size otherwise its a pain.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
exilen where do you live? I would recommend the screwdriver set on Amazon if you are CONUS, or ebay if not. You don't need to spend a lot, but you need to ensure you get the right size otherwise its a pain.

Ralphy Hey, I live in Norway.
I own a submariner, oyster perpetual and soon Datejust 41 from ARF.
What size should I buy? Could you maybe link to a screwdriver that would have the correct size?

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
I bought a multi set and just tried them out until I found a good one that fit. I would recommend finding a set on ebay and going from there.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I bought a multi set and just tried them out until I found a good one that fit. I would recommend finding a set on ebay and going from there.

Anyone clue what keyword I should search on?

Reactions: coolman

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
My local watch service guy screwed up on my bracelet. He grinded the pin and platting away on bracelet.. lol

His excuse was "I couldn't get the pin back in. while doing so I stabbed myself and broke the screw drive". :picard2:
Ended up ordering whole new bracelet and watch took kits from Amazon...

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
Now I'm in the dilemma.. I have been playing around to remove few links. OMG, Jesus Christ! The screws are really tight and they seem to have some kind of lacquer in it that makes them nearly impossible to get it out. I tried with the exact size screwdriver so I could apply maximum torque but still, some screws that turns a little bit but stops after a few turns and one that doesn't turn at all!
I heard putting a bracelet into ultrasonic cleaner will tremendously help removes dirt and lacquer in it, however is it okay for gold plated bracelet? What are other good options to remove these junk screws out??!!!

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Now I'm in the dilemma.. I have been playing around to remove few links. OMG, Jesus Christ! The screws are really tight and they seem to have some kind of lacquer in it that makes them nearly impossible to get it out. I tried with the exact size screwdriver so I could apply maximum torque but still, some screws that turns a little bit but stops after a few turns and one that doesn't turn at all!
I heard putting a bracelet into ultrasonic cleaner will tremendously help removes dirt and lacquer in it, however is it okay for gold plated bracelet? What are other good options to remove these junk screws out??!!!

That lacquer is most probably Loc-Tite, a product that is applied on the threads of a screw to keep it from coming loose. I usually spray a little bit of WD40 or a drop or two of penetrating oil on the screw(s) and let it soak for 1-3 hours. The screw should come out easily after that. Also, the factories sometimes overtighten these screws.

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
That lacquer is most probably Loc-Tite, a product that is applied on the threads of a screw to keep it from coming loose. I usually spray a little bit of WD40 or a drop or two of penetrating oil on the screw(s) and let it soak for 1-3 hours. The screw should come out easily after that. Also, the factories sometimes overtighten these screws.

I just soaked into baby oil gonna wait couple of hours and use hair dryer to heat up that piece of junk.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just soaked into baby oil gonna wait couple of hours and use hair dryer to heat up that piece of junk.

Best of luck. If that doesn't work, try my suggestion. Folks that use baby oil are usually trying to give the links a lubricated feel. Baby oil will not break down the imbedded Loc-Tite on the threads of the screw(s) as effectively as WD40 or penetrating oil.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Try heating the bracelet screws with a hairdryer; that can loosen them up

i recommend the red burgeon screwdriver like this one

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Try heating the bracelet screws with a hairdryer; that can loosen them up

i recommend the red burgeon screwdriver like this one

Would it damaged the watch bracelet by heating it ? :)

fabbrisd

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/12
I have the Bergeon 9pc Box Set... love it .... Begeon is the ONLY way to go ... that "Red" single for like $30$35 works good..