• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What Are Your Feelings About All of the Guys Who Talk About Watches on You Tube?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
There seems to be an explosion of YouTube channels with fairly regular content about watches from just about anybody with a laptop. Tell us what you feel about them (I will start with a few of my own remarks).
Here is a partial list (there are quite a lot):
1.) Archie Luxury / Paul Pluta "Archie" is like that foul-mouthed down-and-out alcoholic train wreck friend who is entertaining to meet up for a pint every few months, but will hit you up for cash before going home, and might even call you long distance collect asking to be bailed out from prison in some South East Asian country. Crazy, repetitive content, with his prejudices very clear throughout: former RWI member (now banned), and three-times bankrupt I think. Needs to get his large facial moles removed to make it big.
2.) Theo and Harris. Christian has probably read every book by inspirational entrepreneur weasel Gary Vaynerchuk and reproduces all of the earmarks of Wine Library TV from the loud shouting greeting at the begining, to the little personalizing knick-knacks in the background (that bottle of Chateau Gloria that has been sitting there forever). I find him surprisingly uninformed at points, and somewhat obnoxious, and who in the luxury business drinks $11 bottle of wine from the supermarket while pretending to know everything about a Rolex Date Just?
3.) Watch Box Studio. From his instantly recognizable fast-paced machine-gunning of watch-geek minutia to his insistence on wearing his sunglasses backwards on his head lately, Tim Mosso is probably the benchmark touchstone for reliable social media commentary on new and pre-owned models. But because he sells the watches he reviews, you will hardly ever hear him say a bad thing about them. C'mon Tim let loose. (He only collects JLC for himself).
4.) Frederico Talks Watches. Just seems like another overweight middle-aged PAM guy (the stereotype of so many PAM guys) who speaks a little too slow and unfocussed to sustain social-media-fueled interest.
5.) Lock, Stock and Barrel. Some more Vaynerchuk-inspired young weasels, this time a duo. Fairly low-end assortment, and somewhat awkward in their interplay, always cutting each other off.
6.) CRM Jewelers. Eric is that slick, cool Miami guy from some foreign country who seems to have a style comment about nearly every watch he decides to showcase. I will never forget his 10-Minute monologue on whether a watch should be worn "above or below the bone." Always hiding his teleprompter reading eyes behind his cool shades, he is one of the only watch guys to do a remotely accurate comparison of a high-end AP replica to a genuine AP.
7.) Revolution Watch. I have a gigantic problem with Wei Koh: he is always cutting off his interviewee, or emoting "yes"s while others are speaking. An awkward Asian rich kid that needs above all else to be the center of attention at the cost of everybody else in the room. Never really understood what "The Rake" is supposed to be and "Revolution" is probably not as hot right now as Hodinkee.
8.) Hodinkee. The 44 episodes of "Talking Watches" have really good technical production and sequencing with literate interviewers that are happy to silently wind random watches while the interviewee takes the center stage. Recommended, but 95% of the wealthy collectors they interview are so Patek/Rolex focussed it is no wonder prices on the vintage Patek and Rolex market take another step higher every time another episode of "Talking Watches" comes out. Expect absolutely no criticism on this site as it has been captured by its Swiss watch manufacturer advertisers long ago. In fact, I was banned from the Hodinkee site the first time I uttered something critical, but they make sure to send their daily newsletter spam to my Email every day.
9.) AVTProjects. A strange "unboxing" focussed channel where an incredible amount of time is spent showing the packaging and manuals of luxury watches (not really interesting), and where care is taken to hide the serial number.
10.) So many more: Urban Gentry, WatchesOnYou, Gentleman Reviewer, JazTime, WatchPlugz, BijouDiamondJewelry, Watchfinder&Co., ProducerMichael, London Watch Collector, Bark and Jack, The WatchesTV, on to infinity.

Reactions: C Master and jg3456

hibee999

20/10/15
Nice summary ! There are a few I hadn’t come across that I will now check out.

Have you considered creating your own channel ? I bet you could outdo most of these ?!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Big Dog

Horology Curious
31/3/19
AC3 and Eric are the only guys i can handle.....and Teddy Balthassars girlfriend. That guy guy boxes way out of his division.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks but for me this market is saturated (too late for new entry). According to Business 101, the first entrant gets 60% of the market, the second 30%, and then the other 100 need to squabble over the last 10%.

Reactions: tkingjr

Deathminder

21/11/17
Germany
Hmm I mostly Watch watchbox, watchfinder, and romansharf

1) I really like Tims fast and well structured reviews especially because they give me a good impression if I would actully like to wear the watch presented myself. But as you said he is non critical most of the time since he wants to sell these watches.
2) I could listen for hours to that dudes voice and I still wouldnt be bored. In his Q & A you can also hear how passionate he really is.
3) Roman is one you didnt metion and is the guy I watch the most. I first met him in Hong Kong at a watch show and he is a pretty cool dude. I actually bought because of him my first gen Omega. I can really recommend his videos series Whats on my Desk where he shows of some insane pieces in detail and gives his opinion on it. He maybe doesnt have the professionalism of Watchbox and Watchfinder but is really entertaining to watch. Here is one Vid of him of some pretty unusual watches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E60xR3EnW50

Sorry for my shitty english...

Reactions: DaleM

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
I guess for the online watch sellers this is a way to build a following and establish a relationship with potential clients. I would feel more confident about buying a watch online if there was a friendly face behind the brand.

I really like Teddy's format but he really needs to stop plugging Dan Henry. Watchfinder is really great with the research and is the reason i'm gunning for a gen Zenith Defy! I really can't stand some of the men's style channels. A few of them obviously did a bare minimum amount of googling and spread misinformation blatantly.

Reactions: Deathminder

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I don't know a lot of them, I only follow Watchbox review to discover watch I don't know yet.

I'm now doing it with the sound muted, because I can't stand the world of bollocks that Mosso can spit just to justify the review. Before doing my illustrated dictionary over at RWG, I wasn't aware that he was mostly making things up in his review, but now I can't watch it properly without being obsessed by catching him inventing a word or a history about the watch he's reviewing.

To me he's mostly a clever sales man using Youtube as a marketing tool

Personal opinon of course !

Reactions: gilrob and stufuse

IWUGRAD09

Known Member
13/5/16
Midwest, USA
I kind of like Urban Gentry. He's sort of the "every man" just enjoying his watch collection. Doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive the watch, he gets excited about it.

Reactions: Pietros

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
I rather like some of them. Its nice to see videos vs pictures. While I dont like the personalities or opinions of some it is nice to hear their view on a watch. I form my own thoughts. Its like to see side by sides and measurements too. Some I just can't watch and those I try to forget. Archie at first was good for comedy material. The guy is a straight up fool that has to know hes the ass of the entire watch community. I can't waych that guy.

I especially like the microbrand coverage as I can't see those in stores.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I’m a big fan of Tim / Watchbox at the moment - like the quickfire, well structured and observant nature of his reviews. Often times I have to watch them more than once to take in everything he says. He has a great command of language and bucket loads of enthusiasm.

Watchfinder I like because it’s the opposite - slow paced, lots of back story and their camerawork is second to none.

Archie, could be entertaining a few years ago but now he’s all used up. Nothing interesting to to say and he says too much of it.

TGV - do not like. Paid shill.

They’re not around now but The Prodigal Guide / Talking Hands did some great reviews - worth watching what they did, but they only ever did a few.

jg3456

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
31/7/12
Denver, CO
Agree re. Tim/watchbox head and shoulders above the rest!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
5.) Lock, Stock and Barrel. Some more Vaynerchuk-inspired young weasels, this time a duo. Fairly low-end assortment, and somewhat awkward in their interplay, always cutting each other off.

The guys got recently on their own ways and have now two separate channels, one is called Take Time w/Patrick Marlett, and the old Lock, Stock and Barrell has become 10:10 Tock.

Of the two I think Patrick's channel is way more professional and interesting as he covers a lot of different brands and has a very structured way of doing reviews.

I don't know a lot of them, I only follow Watchbox review to discover watch I don't know yet.

I'm now doing it with the sound muted, because I can't stand the world of bollocks that Mosso can spit just to justify the review. Before doing my illustrated dictionary over at RWG, I wasn't aware that he was mostly making things up in his review, but now I can't watch it properly without being obsessed by catching him inventing a word or a history about the watch he's reviewing.

To me he's mostly a clever sales man using Youtube as a marketing tool

Personal opinon of course !

Honestly I don't think Tim is making stuff up, he's mostly on point with what he says. A few times he's just going by the official history of the brand (e.g. in the case of Panerai it means what Richemont is saying, not the real history).

Stribbo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/9/18
I find them all entertaining in their own way, but have migrated to those that talk high end watches. Started with urban gentry but am now mainly watching Christian from Theo and Harris, Marc Goldberg, Archie, Austin Daniels, Frederico and John P, CRM Jewelers and Michael S.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Honestly I don't think Tim is making stuff up, he's mostly on point with what he says. A few times he's just going by the official history of the brand (e.g. in the case of Panerai it means what Richemont is saying, not the real history).

I don't have example in my head right now, but he does that more than you would think. Of course I don't talk about brand "official" stories, there's always a bit of arrangements in that, understandably I should add.
But when I do my reviews, I make a lot of research on my own, and I've more than often discovered that he was inventing technical that either don't exist or are not correctly used by him, he invent things about the watches that aren't real, to help him describe the product in an elegant way.

You listen to what he says on certain watches and then you go online researching some of it, and you can't find any reference at all sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, he makes some very good videos, clean, to the point and he sures knows about watches. Most of his video aren't filled with errors hence why it was a game for me to catch things, not always easy.

But I wouldn't certainly call him THE online references about watches and watch knowledge. Personal opinion but I like Marc André Deschoux from TheWatches.tv way more, no bias, is really in the watch industry, entertaining and humble but there's less reviews

As long as anyone find someone they like watching, good with me

irvin

21/9/15
SG
“Hi, I’m Tim. Thanks for logging on to our YouTube channel. Today we are discussing the “xxxxxxxxxx model reference 8927474483939292482920” Tim Mosso

Always the go to guy while researching some of the rep gen comparisons, his video showcases the watches in details, and as always the first thing he will showcase is the size of the watch on his actual thin wrist, this part alone makes or breaks if the certain rep/gen fits my wrist as well. Plenty of info up there in his videos.

Reactions: Danii and Omega703

trdesign

Known Member
11/3/11
Horology house is another good one. They have beautiful photography. Excelle t to watch on a large tv and drool.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: mattymarske

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I kind of like Urban Gentry. He's sort of the "every man" just enjoying his watch collection. Doesn't matter how expensive or inexpensive the watch, he gets excited about it.

Idk about that guy. I used to be entertained by his commentary. Now he looks like a greasy weasel, acting out some silly "family heritage" & pompous "british gentry" crap. Got kind of snobbish once he picked up his Polar Explorer too.

I do enjoy a cup of coffee while checking out Watchfinder. The commentary and videography are second to none, imho.

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
I like Marc from Long Island Watches-his 'watch and learn' technical tutorials are brilliant, I've learned a lot from them.

Reactions: mattymarske