• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What’s your response when someone asks if your watch is real?

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA

These people just need to be educated. They're not saying it to be offensive, it's just that when they think of a nice watch, Invicta is a brand they think of. I'm sure for most of the general public, it's Timex/Seiko > Invicta > Rolex... There's nothing in between.

Reactions: Tuben

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
well if you are working on a minimum wage and wearing a 25K watch, probably it is fake :)

Shit, do you have to wear a special outfit with how much money you make written on it in your country ?
Because other than that, I've never been able to tell how much money someone was earning just by looking at him, and if I tried, I bet I would be wrong most of the time

Reactions: vanzhulik

Clamaran

Horology Curious
2/4/19
well if you are talking about someones watch and that deep in conversation, you probably know what they do for work hence my comment. Peace :)

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I’ve never been asked either. On the flip side, if I see someone wearing a nice watch I compliment them on it eg “love your datejust”. They usually stare blankly until I say “nice watch”. Once a coworker was wearing a fake Wimbledon. No way I was gonna call him out on it in private let alone in front of other colleagues. That’s just rude and condescending.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I’ve never been asked either. On the flip side, if I see someone wearing a nice watch I compliment them on it eg “love your datejust”. They usually stare blankly until I say “nice watch”. Once a coworker was wearing a fake Wimbledon. No way I was gonna call him out on it in private let alone in front of other colleagues. That’s just rude and condescending.

Good on you. You can replicate a watch, but you can't replicate class/respect.

Reactions: Tuben and Nivka

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
To avoid this awkward situation, don't wear luxury reps with "obvious" tells that are visible from arm's length - overly thick/thin date font, grossly misaligned DW, crooked hour markers, noisy/rattling bracelets, bad (or scratched) gold plating, and etc. My wife doesn't know very much about watches, but she sure is good at spotting obvious defects and knows luxury gens should not have such flaws.

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
I try buy on superreps and NWBIG...that’s solves all but minute tell...then where like you mean it baby...if asked...I say why do you ask? Play it from there...usually they have no idea and are judging based on you

seikolonian09

Known Member
23/12/18
I've never been asked that question before. However, when I get compliments for my watch, I just smile and say thanks. I don't understand why people will ever ask you if your watch (or any accessory that you have) is real or fake.

Reactions: DryRun

DryRun

Known Member
23/4/21
Why would they ask? I mean really, why?

They may ask “got the time brah”, then I may say “it’s a smidge after quarter past four old bean” then they may thank me and go about their daily business....

Let’s flip this around 180 degrees, you’re having a light lunch in your favourite bistro, i’m thinking maybe waldorf salad with a small glass of house red, your wife/husband/lgender neutral partner is having goats cheese flan with a side order of curly fries (fuck you’re drooling for a curly fries but are on a strict “no carbs” diet) and a glass of no alcohol beer cos they’re also a recovering alcoholic.....

anyway, scene is set!

A young couple walk in, she’s wearing a very short summer dress, you catch a glimps of inner thigh, “oh lordy that’s brightened up an otherwise miserable day” then you spot the guy, he’s got a 6263 Daytona on his right wrist.... now that clearly on the wrong wrist for a start off... but but but you’ve read the tells on this one, it’s got to be a hand wind, can’t quite make out if the subdial at 6 is frozen or not.... now these are big money, he’s just a scruffy oik in jeans and a t-shirt, doubtful he could afford that... it got to be a rep.... ITS GOT TO BE!! you start to get sweaty palms, heart beat is racing.......

RIGHT, I’M OFF OVER TO ASK!!!

“OY SCRUFFY OIK, IS THAT A FAKE WATCH YOU’RE WEARING ON THE WRONG WRIST OR WHAT????

:lmao: really???????
"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
He's choking, how? Everybody's joking now
The clock's run out, time's up, over—blaow!"

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
My best friend asked me if my shittiest rep was real (because he KNOWS I’m cheap). But he also know I got a bonus check so I didn’t say anything.. just took it off and handed to him with a smile. He examined it for a few seconds with his jaw open… glared at my wife.. she just rolled her eyes.. he was in totally awe (was 116500 LN). I finally told him it was a rep what the GLARING tell to me was because I didn’t want him to shit himself.

No one else has ever asked me and my friend will never ask me again because he knows now… I could win the lottery… I’d still buy Reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JayBee0815

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
I've read it once here on the forum and I use it every time: "it is as real as your wife's tits" and for some reason nobody asks any more questions;)

Reactions: leo6929