• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex refurbishment

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
***I will post pics in the post after this as I always seem to have problems posting pics with text when on my phone***

Yesterday at a family meal, my Grandad handed down his Rolex Oyster Precision to me. He bought the watch in 1964 and it has been worn everyday until about two years ago when in his words “the winder broke”. The watch does still wind up some but with every tenth turn (approx) you can hear and feel something inside make a slipping sound. So it has been sat in its original box since then as my grandad hasn’t got round to getting it repaired and my Nan bought him a new watch for his birthday. My Nan died just before Christmas so my grandad has now said that he will never wear his Rolex again as he wants to wear the watch that she bought him for the rest of his days and he decided to hand down the Rolex to me whilst he is still around. He wanted to get it fixed but he barely gets out anymore and has said if I get the watch repaired he will pay for it. (I have no intention of taking his money). I’ll just tell him it was something really simple that cost twenty quid or so. Lol.

Anyway, I wanted to know what your guys thoughts are when it comes to getting the watch repaired and refurbished somewhat. I’ve been looking at a place in Hatton garden called Luxiury watch repairs and some of the work they’ve done is incredible.....but I’m not sure how far I should go. I have no intention of selling the watch and would like to hand it down myself one day. I do have very intention of wearing it though. At the moment it’s unwearable. The original bracelet is broke and he currently has it on an after market Rolex bracelet which is also pretty knackered. I’d like to get the original oyster bracelet repaired and have it back on that.

id also like to get the mineral crystal either replaced or polished as it is scratched to high heaven. The dial is pretty discoloured and the hands & indices look pretty rough.

I’d like to keep the watch with its original parts but I’d also like it to look really nice again. What would you guys suggest having done?

I saw a facebook Po st of a a vintage rolex that luxury watch repairs has refurbished but it included repainting the dial, replacing the hands etc, but essentially the result was almost a new watch. What can I realistically have done to maintain the watches character and vintage looks, but still making it look presentable? This watch has been worn and has scratches and dings everywhere that go beyond giving the watch ‘character’.

I know nothing about vintage watches and refurbishment but i was thinking along the lines of polishing up the case, the bracelet and mineral glass. Maybe polishing the hands and indices if that’s possible??......and leaving the dial as it is.

What do do you guys think?

thanks

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Oh, the reason I mentioned that I have no intention of selling the watch is because I know that certain refurbishment work will decrease the monetary value of the watch. I am not really fussed about that. I just want it up and running and looking good enough to wear.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Here’s an example of a return job the the place in Hatton garden did on an old ladydate.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Just dont let them touch that dial !

The dial is one of my biggest concerns. To me, it’s gone past the point of being nicely patinad. (If that’s a word)

But a couple of friends have said to leave well alone.

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
fix the crown/stem/winder, but as SuperLory said, don't let them touch that dial!

The watch case/bracelet itself do not need to be refurbished/polished, it just needs to be cleaned, in my opinion.

That's a great looking tropical dial you got going, it's original, it's not man-made, don't touch that dial.
And good to hear about you not wanting to sell that, that's a great heirloom.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
fix the crown/stem/winder, but as SuperLory said, don't let them touch that dial!

The watch case/bracelet itself do not need to be refurbished/polished, it just needs to be cleaned, in my opinion.

That's a great looking tropical dial you got going, it's original, it's not man-made, don't touch that dial.
And good to hear about you not wanting to sell that, that's a great heirloom.

how about the crystal? It is so heavily scratched that I’m not sure I’d wear it as it is. Any harm in replacing that or maybe buffing out the scratches? I really have no clue as to what can and can’t be achieved .

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Just spoke to the guy from the watch repair place that I’ve decided to go with and he said the patina on the dial is beyond what he would call ‘desirable’, he’s suggesting I opt for a full restoration of the dial. After what the people who have replied on here have said, I’m a bit torn. I must admit that the dial has grown on me and I think it will look ok if I get the rest of the watch cleaned up.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Just spoke to the guy from the watch repair place that I’ve decided to go with and he said the patina on the dial is beyond what he would call ‘desirable’, he’s suggesting I opt for a full restoration of the dial. After what the people who have replied on here have said, I’m a bit torn. I must admit that the dial has grown on me and I think it will look ok if I get the rest of the watch cleaned up.

i'm against "restoring" that dial. Don't let them touch it, if i wanted to "improve" it i'd swap it with a newer one, but at the same time i'd keep the old one, since it's an amazing piece.
i'd change glass and dial, clean the rest, but you have to keep the original pieces, those are the ones that keep the most value

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrapplebee

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
i'm against "restoring" that dial. Don't let them touch it, if i wanted to "improve" it i'd swap it with a newer one, but at the same time i'd keep the old one, since it's an amazing piece.
i'd change glass and dial, clean the rest, but you have to keep the original pieces, those are the ones that keep the most value

Thanks. Yeh this is the path I may go down. I’ve decided that I’m not gonna touch the dial. I think my initial dislike of the dial was down to how dirty the rest of the watch was and also the scratched crystaI (this watch served in the forces with him from the early sixties til he retired and has been all over the world on his wrist everyday). I also didn’t like the alternative Rolex bracelet that my grandad had put it on. It seemed to be quite poor quality compared to the original oyster bracelet that he replaced due to one snapped link. I’ve put it back on the original bracelet now.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
VbxrQp.md.jpg

back on its original bracelet

Trunk12

Horology Curious
1/2/15
Personally, I’d have the movement serviced and case waterproofed. I quite like that it shows its age and has been worn and depended upon for many years! It’s a beautiful item to be passed down and personally worth so much more than just a vintage Rolex. Understandably there is a fair argument to restore the watch, but at the very least, I’d try to keep as many original parts as possible. Just my tuppence worth!!

Reactions: Mrapplebee

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Cheers guys. I am 100% not going to touch the dial at all now. I’m just debating whether to keep the dial on the watch or swap it out and store the old one. I’m leaning towards keeping the dial in.

Get the watch serviced, crystal swapped and a bit of an overall clean. I’ll defo post some pics when all is done.

Reactions: sketchAG

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
on the crystal - either buffed or swapped with a new one, I think either is fine, but perhaps replacing it with a newer one is better if you're going to wear it.

The dial tropical/patina dial is beyond desirable? I don't buy that for a second.

Restoring the dial will require a repaint/redial - and if it's not done with Rolex, forget it!!!

Any refurbishing done on the dial and the case will devalue that watch, in my opinion.

Some articles regarding restoration,
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/how-to-restore-a-vintage-watch-guide-omega-rolex
https://quillandpad.com/2018/05/01/...g-things-worse-by-trying-to-make-them-better/
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tropical-dials-explained-by-a-vintage-watch-restoration-expert/
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-craziest-tropical-dial-rolex-submariner-you-will-ever-se

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
good to hear, would love to see photos when it's done :)

Cheers guys. I am 100% not going to touch the dial at all now. I’m just debating whether to keep the dial on the watch or swap it out and store the old one. I’m leaning towards keeping the dial in.

Get the watch serviced, crystal swapped and a bit of an overall clean. I’ll defo post some pics when all is done.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
on the crystal - either buffed or swapped with a new one, I think either is fine, but perhaps replacing it with a newer one is better if you're going to wear it.

The dial tropical/patina dial is beyond desirable? I don't buy that for a second.

Restoring the dial will require a repaint/redial - and if it's not done with Rolex, forget it!!!

Any refurbishing done on the dial and the case will devalue that watch, in my opinion.

Some articles regarding restoration,
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/how-to-restore-a-vintage-watch-guide-omega-rolex
https://quillandpad.com/2018/05/01/...g-things-worse-by-trying-to-make-them-better/
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tropical-dials-explained-by-a-vintage-watch-restoration-expert/
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-craziest-tropical-dial-rolex-submariner-you-will-ever-se

Thanks for the links. I have told the guy that all I want doing is the crystal either buffing up or replacing. Like you say, a new crystal will probably be better.

Ive told him not to repolish the case or bracelet. Just a clean.

The movement will be serviced.

What a The did say was that if any of the dial is flaking off, the watch can’t be serviced. To my eye, none of the dial is flaking off so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Will defo post pics. Not sure how long it will take though.

Mrapplebee

Known Member
18/7/17
Thought I’d update the post. I’ve had my quote back for the repair of the watch. £700 which imo isn’t bad at all.

Thats the repair of the movement, full service along with the original oyster bracelet repair. I’ve asked for the bracelet not to be polished and the dial to remain untouched but the watch case and bracelet will be thoroughly cleaned.

Ill post pics in a few weeks when i get it back.

Reactions: Pyknic