• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 10 Phrases That Are Repeated To Death Here

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
1. "runs like a champ" (typically used for watches with moderate power reserve and accuracy, not for world-record breaking athletic performance)

2. Said often in sales section, typically with blurry photos: "the scratches are nothing you can't buff out with a Cape Cod in 5 Minutes" (said about minor or major--who knows?--cosmetic wear to assure potential buyers that the watch can be made to look as good as new for a minor investment of time and money. In which case the natural question is: If it were so easy, why didn't the seller use a Cape Cod polishing cloth to buff out the scratches of their watch before posting it for sale?)

3. "My grail watch" (the one watch a person is willing to go bankrupt, lose a wife, or make other irreversible sacrifices for in order to possess and own, and maybe even wear, please note: the actual "grail watch" may change every few days)

4. "Panerai DNA" (said to emphasize some conformity of a modern Panerai watch to some vintage design principles of original pre-commercial Panerai watches, the phrase is used over and over again to create a sense of authenticity in some design evolutions of the modern-day Panerai corporate watch lines, I do not know why genetics needs to be invoked, it is part of the cliche though)

5. The lume "glows like a torch" (said about watch hands and dials that have very thick layers of concentrated C3 luminova applied to the point that perhaps they rub against one another and scratch each other and stop the movement from working)

6. the watch winds "smooth as butter" (said about watches whose winding mechanism is probably over-oiled and whose mainspring is probably over-greased to lessen the torque needed to tighten the mainspring--seen as a positive feature)

7. "wear it in good health" (a parting phrase after envying somebody else's watch acquisition, author's note: I never understood the relation between wearing a mechanical wristwatch and health, it makes more sense for me to wish good health to somebody on their birthday or in reference to them wearing a bio-monitor smart watch)

8. "in deep" (as in, "in deep water", signifying reaching a state of obsession with large masses of trivial details about a watch or brand to the point that all ability to "pull the trigger" (see next phrase) is blocked.

9. "pull the trigger" (to commit to actually purchasing a watch by sending money for it rather than wasting the time of online vendors or boutique salespeople with asking questions, haggling, trying it on and taking photos of it, talking obsessively about it on forums or with friends and family, etc.)

10. "called out" (the deepest fear of many replica owners, related to the anxiety that some stranger in the general public will notice that the replica owner's watch is 1mm too thick to be genuine, or that the color of the dial print is a shade different than the genuine, etc. and that this trivial little micro detail will lead to actually being publicly denounced and humiliated as a replica-wearing person, i.e. as a fake person wearing a fake watch, with associated loss of face, esteem, etc.)

INFINITY.) "Who has the best Submariner?" (Obvious mindless question, repeated over and over, like a tribal ceremonial rite, by countless waves of new members looking for a high quality low cost imitation of a popular diver watch they have seen in a movie. Answer: "R Factory." Game over.)

Last edited by a moderator:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
What about "Instant tell" usually referring to something like the engraving on a caseback...

Yes, please add phrases as you see fit. "Instant tell" should be in the list, definitely. It is part of the worn-out tribal code here.

Reactions: Mr Gatsby

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
"How is the lume?" Often seen in m2m, a popular formula spoken by the young padawans of the rep side while they are preparing to the first purchase.

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
PMed - to signal interest
Will take once green - to signal dominance over fellow buyers

And of course the phrase reserved for the manliest and most well-endowed of us all
PMed with strong intent - usually followed with a smug "Payment sent"

Yes, these phrases are an essential part of sales thread jungle warfare. You pick them up from day 1 as a new member with still deep pockets new money and a need to impress the older warriors.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Fantastic post - subscribed (does that wualify as well)
Btw, I’ve really subscribed to this one :D

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I think ALE , in his day as Panerai Yoda, over-used "gen-like feel" which is sort of a hedge-your-bets sort of phrase, ie. t feels sort-of-like a genuine Panerai.

Agreed -- of course, both rep and gen Panerais are oversized hunks of steel, so they do feel similar in the hand. And maybe with the crown guard lever operation, there is a real, valid point there.

I find the sensory projections a tad subjective, and as most parts are made from the same materials in a relatively similar fashion, objectively they should feel the same (finishing details aside). Its when someone who drools over a genuine variant and projects their feeling of pride/envy/value onto the object and then gets a blue-vein throbber over the rep that I find particularly hilarious.

Within the scope of this overused phrase, it would be a fun case study to do a Pepsi Challenge on rep vs gen and see how many testers could identify the correct model by "feel" alone. I'm sure there's a watch whisperer out there somewhere ...

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I love the threat of "If I don't sell the watch today I'm just going to keep the it." Oh no. Please don't do that!

Also, please stop saying in response to a sale "I'd wish you luck but you wont't need it" or any variation of that phrase.

There's also my favorite "If that was CONUS/ EU it would be mine." It's a bullshit statement 90% of the time and we all know it.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
There is no one more overused expressiono on forums but it is single word then phrase

"Rare"

Amen. The old "rare unicorn' or "rare as hen's teeth" watch for sale.