• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

On sending watch back to TD, a test case

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
This is a test case which I will keep updating on. I am sure members will be interested in the outcome.

It is sort of generally known that one should never send defective watches back to the TD for repair. This one piece has crossed my threshold of tolerance and I will hold the TD accountable. So here is the story with timeline.

Ordered watch late Dec 18, a ZF RG Calatrava. Paid by bitcoin
Received QC pics early Jan, like 3 days from payment

Here's the QC timegrapher pic they sent, along with various other pics
VKrkD2.jpg

After ok'ing everything, they shipped, and I received it mid Feb 19. Took over a month in transit, not at all the shipper's fault.
When I received it, it was like this, detached date frame window
tDhDa.jpg

TD offered to send me a new dial. But I was able to get it repaired and refused. Without that free floating date frame window blocking the hands and movement, I was able to measure the performance of watch. Here it is. Mid to late Feb.
VKAU6o.jpg

So then, I asked for resolution, TD asked me to send it back, I did. It was delivered 3/10.

Will keep updates, without mentioning TD name. Maybe the collective ol' timer wisdom is correct, we will see with this experiment.

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Was it fully wound? beat error is fine and the timing can easily be adjusted - however if not fully wound the amplitude sucks...

B

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
Assuming the original timegraph result was correct, it looks like that watch took one hell of a slam during transit-enough to dislodge the date surround and knock the regulation out.

I hope it gets resolved.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Assuming the original timegraph result was correct, it looks like that watch took one hell of a slam during transit-enough to dislodge the date surround and knock the regulation out.

I hope it gets resolved.

Thanks! I hope so too, and will report on this thread

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
That is another topic I started! When I thought about this particular watch, I looked around my previous orders and stumbled across an older order where I saw that 2 watches I had ordered before (same shipment) had exactly the same timegrapher results. If not exact, at least 1 in a million odds type of exact.

oh crap i didn't realise that it was you who started that other one ahahaha

welp, idk i'm starting to see some shady happenings, fake timegraph, prices going up without any apparent reason, almost as if some kind of cartel is growing. Stuff is weird, it would be nice to get into it a bit more and see what's going on

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
idk i'm starting to see some shady happenings, fake timegraph, prices going up without any apparent reason, almost as if some kind of cartel is growing. Stuff is weird, it would be nice to get into it a bit more and see what's going on

Yup, I guess it is a matter of supply and demand. As long as there is demand for their sloppy performance and price increases, it will continue. Forum members should be aware, but it seems forum members are just a small percentage (like 10% or less) of overall sales for popular reps. This percentage is for factory sales, i.e. forums wont have significant control over factories.

However, for TDs, I would suspect majority of their sales would be to forum members. They should get their QC shit in order, before forum members revolt.

Reactions: mari115

late

Known Member
23/9/12
i've sent 3 or so watches back (over several years) and all have returned to me safely and functional. I have however had the fake timegraph photos more than once and no longer take those at face value. Maybe if they started sending video, i would trust them.

Reactions: Pietros

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
i've sent 3 or so watches back (over several years) and all have returned to me safely and functional. I have however had the fake timegraph photos more than once and no longer take those at face value. Maybe if they started sending video, i would trust them.

Good to know, on both topics.

On the fake timegraph pics, another strategy will be to ask them to send pictures at different watch positions. I did that on a recent order, but didnt on this PP.

On another order, say a year ago, I had asked the QC to send me a timegraph pic which spanned the whole screen. They flatly refused. They were happier to refund my money, of course deducting some 20-30 bucks!!

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Good to know, on both topics.

On the fake timegraph pics, another strategy will be to ask them to send pictures at different watch positions. I did that on a recent order, but didnt on this PP.

On another order, say a year ago, I had asked the QC to send me a timegraph pic which spanned the whole screen. They flatly refused. They were happier to refund my money, of course deducting some 20-30 bucks!!

did you contact mods about this?

Last edited:

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Nope. I thought this was not an infraction. They will receive a little lesser than what I send anyways, due to fees and exchange rates.

i see, but they actually get the same amount of money that you see in their webpage, the fees are taken from the extra money that you pay but you are not notified about when you order.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
i see, but they actually get the same amount of money that you see in their webpage, the fees are taken from the extra money that you pay but you are not notified about when you order.

Well, this got me curious. so I looked on this particular transaction and exact details are as follows:

I sent western union transfer of $ 391.90 in Jan 18. Its true I paid extra $14 on top of 391.90 as transfer fees.
After cancellation, I got a paypal refund of $374.36 in March 18, which left me short $17.54, which upon looking now was paypal fees.

So, I will have to take 1 comment of mine back. The TD is not to blame on this matter, paypal is the crook!

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Well, this got me curious. so I looked on this particular transaction and exact details are as follows:

I sent western union transfer of $ 391.90 in Jan 18. Its true I paid extra $14 on top of 391.90 as transfer fees.
After cancellation, I got a paypal refund of $374.36 in March 18, which left me short $17.54, which upon looking now was paypal fees.

So, I will have to take 1 comment of mine back. The TD is not to blame on this matter, paypal is the crook!

ahah, yeah, you paid more at the beginning because of the CC processor, so they get the exact amount that you see in their webpage but you pay more, because those initial fees are for the processor

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Routine updates

TD has confirmed receipt and has said repair work is underway.

What I have been advised is that ZF is very sloppy with their manufacturing and QC, this piece is ZF.
I was interested in the new ZF IWC triple calendar, and another TD flatly told me :sFun_oldguy: , that for my expectations, "No ZF for you :thumbdown:" That is the way it will be, ZF :banned2: as far as I am concerned!!

ffuhcu

14/7/16
I've got 3 ZF watches (IWC 3714, IWC 3777, Tudor BB GMT) and they've all been great.

Following the Tudor BB GMT thread though, QC does look to be all over the place.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Update, watch has been repaired and TD had notified me early May. His notice was in my spam/junk folder.
Lets say it took TD about 5-6 weeks to finish repair, from the time he confirmed receipt of watch. Not so bad.

If after I receive the watch, it performs as well as these timegraph pics show, it will be excellent!

Will post again after receipt.

V9QhQq.jpg

V9QSSG.jpg

Rustknuckle

Horology Curious
10/8/18
I have fully given up on the timegraph photos. Never been sent a watch that was bad, but there has also never been correlation what the timegraph shows and reality. Luckily the axe swings both ways and I have gotten watches that preform both better and worse than the timegrapher shows. My DSSD graphed at +/-1 second and reality as more like +/-20 and then there is my Noob Daytona that timegraphed at +/-9 seconds and turned out to be so accurate its hard to believe its not quartz. I put it on the day I got it and used it daily for three months and it lost less than 2 minutes.