• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do I clean my super old rep?

hm11esh

4/9/18
use a toothbrush dipped in soapy water to avoid too much water contact in case your caseback isn't water tight enough. then scrape as much off with a paper towel.

or use a steam cleaner.

these are not tried and tested methods but something that I would do. Try at your own risk!!!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
use a copper brush to get most of the stuff off...best would be to disassemble your watch, take the mvt out if you can, clean the case with soapy water as mentioned. Afterwards rinse with isopropanol to get all the water out.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Looks like you've got dead skin on there from the Summer of 2010 …
dustmit3.jpg

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You sure you want to clean away all the natural patina it's developed over the decades?

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
I'm glad that OP didn't post it here. Don't even look at it on a full stomach.

giphy.gif

Just torch the fuck*r.

Reactions: Mike116

bluejob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
I'm glad that OP didn't post it here. Don't even look at it on a full stomach.

giphy.gif

Just torch the fuck*r.

Sorry, I know it’s kinda gross but the watch means a lot to me and I’m just trying to clean it up so I can go get it refinished

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
How about a dial side picture or two. It would help us to better offer suggestions for how in depth your cleaning should be without damaging or ruining it.

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Holy crap! How does a watch get to that point. Rofl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
4dcb4967-8ee6-4f8c-89bd-6b0c2fdad4d2.NSqn1

Not really sure what you can see other than the pitted metal lol I’m trying to find someone to refinish It and stuff
Here’s the link if the pic doesn’t work https://www.pixelsbin.com/image/4dcb4967-8ee6-4f8c-89bd-6b0c2fdad4d2.NSqn1

No, pictures are helpful. a few more and we can give more pointed advice. For the polished areas on the case. you can use Cape Cod cloth to clean and remove micro abrasions. Be careful with the gold plating as it will remove that and ruin it. for Brushed areas on the watch, you can use a scotch brite pad to gently lessen any desk dives.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
That's not even stainless steel .. Hell, it's probably carcinogenic!! … For the safety and well being of you, your family, and anyone who is in the same room with it, dispose of it properly!

th

Reactions: Rx4Time

bluejob

16/2/19
No, pictures are helpful. a few more and we can give more pointed advice. For the polished areas on the case. you can use Cape Cod cloth to clean and remove micro abrasions. Be careful with the gold plating as it will remove that and ruin it. for Brushed areas on the watch, you can use a scotch brite pad to gently lessen any desk dives.

Thanks for all the advice! I’ve ordered a cape cod cloth but I’m slightly worried about the effect it could have on the metal considering I have no idea what it is or how much the watch itself costs. After digging on it with a tooth brush and a little bit of simple green this is what I have left https://imgur.com/a/ZT2Z61j
Should I be able to work away the abrasions with the cape cod cloth ? Even the ones on the back?
Also in an unrelated question, would I be able to get the gold dial refinished somehow and make this watch look pretty nice? It’s kinda wearing off on the dial and crown after 20 years lol
I really appreciate your help, really new to this

Emporio

Known Member
12/6/16
Only one advice: Throw it away and put some bucks into a new one. We even have TDs (narikaa for instance) specialized in cheaper reps.

bluejob

16/2/19
Only one advice: Throw it away and put some bucks into a new one. We even have TDs (narikaa for instance) specialized in cheaper reps.

Thanks but no thanks. Cleaning out my grandfathers house after he passed away and found this piece he got in turkey :)

Sent from the RWI App