• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Real Gold Wrapped Reps? Worth it or Waste?

FLArch

Known Member
16/12/12
So recently, after taking a hiatus on reps, and buying a few Gens (of which I’ve gotten sick of, of course), I saw a "real gold" wrapped version of a Rolex on one of our TD’s sites. The price tag is basically 4 times more than the regular, top available Gen...being gold wrapped. I went with a RG piece, figured the color match hue of the metal would be more accurate, and of course the weight more in line with that of a Gen. The total investment was close to $1500. I know some folks are gonna call me dumb, or crazy...but the timing was right for me and certainly was better than spending $39,000 ????! Anyone have any experience or feedback you can share with this dood? Waiting on the postman....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noob Tube

Known Member
6/2/19
So recently, after taking a hiatus on reps, and buying a few Gens (of which I’ve gotten sick of, of course), I saw a "real gold" wrapped version of a Rolex on one of our TD’s sites. The price tag is basically 4 times more than the regular, top available Gen...being gold wrapped. I went with a RG piece, figured the color match hue of the metal would be more accurate, and of course the weight more in line with that of a Gen. The total investment was close to $1500. I know some folks are gonna call me dumb, or crazy...but the timing was right for me and certainly was better than spending $39,000 ????! Anyone have any experience or feedback you can share with this dood? Waiting on the postman....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the wrapping have any effect on the weight? Also let us know what you think when it arrives :)

I'm sure you've see this, if not its a good read: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/315608-the-wrapped-gold-sub-guide

_DuquesaRosalita

Horology Curious
11/3/19
Texas
I had a Day-Date 18239 and a lot of gen forums people would nitpick that the 18239 weight was less than the newer 118239 because the middle link wasn’t solid all the way through. To me the weight of the 18239 was only slightly heavier than my SS watches, but I will say it was noticeable in the way the watch moved around and sat on your wrist. It’s hard/impossible to fake that.

The gold wrapped reps I’ve seen will give you a better color and more safety against a destructive scratch (so many played YG/RG reps completely destroyed by a single scratch) but they won’t be able to give you the weight. Look up what a “micron” really is; that’s what helped me best understand it.