• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dying Watch

KS Watches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/17
It could be something very simple. If you can take it apart to replace the movement, you can check first to see if there is a washer under the dial. I cant see it, so I would not know. But I looked on eBay and they are selling for about $200-270. That would be a Shanghai SA 3135. Would not just toss the watch if you purchase another, you could sell the parts right on here. Also, Would not purchase a Noob right now unless a TD has it in stock.

Don’t know why I just looked into what you said about the washer under the dial, I kept thinking the movement still runs perfectly like nothing is broken so it isn’t damaged. For some reason I put the watch to my ears to see what’s going on. It sounds smooth until I begin to rotate it, as I rotate I begin to hear a scrapping sound then a sudden stop. I’m guessing something is loose in there stopping the movement. What do you reckon I should do? I’m not going to give up on this watch since it’s been great for 2 years and is still going, other than this slight issue which seems not as difficult as I thought.

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Don’t know why I just looked into what you said about the washer under the dial, I kept thinking the movement still runs perfectly like nothing is broken so it isn’t damaged. For some reason I put the watch to my ears to see what’s going on. It sounds smooth until I begin to rotate it, as I rotate I begin to hear a scrapping sound then a sudden stop. I’m guessing something is loose in there stopping the movement. What do you reckon I should do? ........

Seems to me that the most likely problem is what you suspect and something has worked its way loose. Whatever is loose is getting in the way and stopping it.

You need to open up the case, find out what that loose piece is and return it to where it belongs.

KS Watches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/17
Seems to me that the most likely problem is what you suspect and something has worked its way loose. Whatever is loose is getting in the way and stopping it.

You need to open up the case, find out what that loose piece is and return it to where it belongs.

How easy is this for somebody who has never opened or worked on a watch before. I don't have the necessary tools or station.

Sent from the RWI App

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
How easy is this for somebody who has never opened or worked on a watch before. I don't have the necessary tools or station.

it could be super easy or it could be relatively difficult depending on what piece has worked itself loose.

I think how I would decide to go forward is how you answer this question: Do you see yourself tinkering with watches again in the future?

If you think you might tinker around again in the future, I say go for it. Buy a few tools to start with and see how it goes. Take a few pics, ask some questions and see if you can make it work.

If you don't think you would do any future tinkering then just sell the watch on m2m. Describe what is going on the best you can and move on. The cost of tools and the time necessary are not worth the hit you will take on this one.