• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2813 Second hand acting strange - Is this normal?? - Explorer 2 Noob

eberhard4

Known Member
1/2/19
Hi guys

i bought here in m2m a noob Explorer 2 with ichs 2813 movement, a pretty basic rep.
I know the watch has a lot of flaws and tells but i think that what is shown in the video is not in the "normality" of asian 21j movements:

https://imgur.com/a/xU7xfH8

the second hand is very hesitant when it comes around the top part of the dial, at times it looks like a quartz.

Is this normal in these movements or could there be missing pins on the second gear?
The watch does actually keep good time.

Being a rep newbie, I'd be curious to hear opinions coming from more expert members.
thanks!

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
That's fairly normal for a low-beat movement … Does the "ticking" occur when the second hand is moving from north to south (if the watch was positioned like a clock on the wall)?

eberhard4

Known Member
1/2/19
That's fairly normal for a low-beat movement … Does the "ticking" occur when the second hand is moving from north to south (if the watch was positioned like a clock on the wall)?

Yes that is correct

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Is it keeping time properly? Almost looks like it might be touching the crystal.

eberhard4

Known Member
1/2/19
Is it keeping time properly? Almost looks like it might be touching the crystal.

it is keeping good time and seems to act this way when moving from north to south..
would putting in a new 2813 make any difference?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
it's keeping time then not worth the cost. The skipping is due to the design of the seconds hand drive. It's based on the miyota 8215 and unfortunately some movements can have this skipping. The actual movement is running fine, but the gears running the seconds hand can move and slap some causing some studder.

Here's a more extreme example of this....

https://youtu.be/_g7xOvxRbl8
And a detailed explanation....

http://calibercorner.com/stuttering-seconds-hand-explained/

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I would not replace the movement if it is keeping good time. But, if you got itchy fingers... On eBay new movement is $30-$40 from China. It is not terribly hard to do the watch surgery if you have the right tools. You need to check out video on how to properly remove/install watch stem for A2813, be careful with the hands (pulling/setting), and don't lose any of the movement mounting screws.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
As stated above, based on Miyota 8215...the 8200 series all use indirect seconds in the drive train. Skipping with this design is common. It doesn't affect the timing. There is a small friction spring on the barrel and train wheel bridge that can be adjusted (just below the rotor).