• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First thing you do when you get your rep?

TheKnight

16/11/18
Hey guys what do you guy do FIRST when you get your reps?

I'm new to reps and am curious if anyone has a procedure or list of to dos!

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
First thing is order a new strap. Find the lug width and buckle size (if you intend to use the rep buckle) and order it the day you order your rep. Nothing is worse than having the watch but waiting on a strap.

If you received a time graph in your QC, confirm it on arrival; if not, test it and if there’s an issue, identify it and set up a service.

Test the functions. Identify any issues.

Enjoy it!

If there are mods you wish to do, either start acquiring parts or develop a relationship with a modder and discussing the scope of work.

Wait 1-3 months, get it back admire it, and either wear it as often as possible or put it in the watch box until the watch(es) you bought while it was being serviced/modded lose their luster.

This is a dangerous hobby ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Katarsis and Danii

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Set the time ..
th

Reactions: Maron

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Marvel at it's beauty, wind it and set the time against an atomic clock and see how it keeps time whilst I enjoy wearing it.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Either size the bracelet or order a new strap.

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
As soon as I got the watch, Put on my wrist and thinking about size and thickness like is this one match on my wrist?

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I keep the nice free Swiss railway clock app, Mondaine, on both my Android and IoS phones and use that for getting the initial time correct after I've tweaked the watch with the assistance of a Timegrapher.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
1. set the time.
2. start wondering what I'm going to buy next.
3. order another watch.
4. see (1)

Last watch I ordered was a AP ROO V9.5 Steel / Rubber.
I just ordered the Ceramic version of it.
I know when I get it I will then order the Forged carbon version.

Unless a decent GMT Pepsi or BP Milspec drops in the meantime in which case I'll order those as well.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
1. set the time.
2. start wondering what I'm going to buy next.
3. order another watch.
4. see (1)

Last watch I ordered was a AP ROO V9.5 Steel / Rubber.
I just ordered the Ceramic version of it.
I know when I get it I will then order the Forged carbon version.

Unless a decent GMT Pepsi or BP Milspec drops in the meantime in which case I'll order those as well.

Yep...that's about right!

lilmoogz

Known Member
15/11/18
Wind it to make sure it works

Then size bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911cz

Known Member
8/9/17
I send mine for service if I know it’s a keeper. If not, wear it for a few months and then decide.

jamesSG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/2/19
I usually buy new straps. I always end up spending more in straps then the price of the watch itself =p

Also get a good springbar tool for strap removal. The Bergeon springbar tweezer 7825 is super expensive but you'll save yourself so much time and it's definitely BIFL qualify.

Reactions: TheKnight

Secret_Squrrel

Horology Curious
13/10/18
Before I do anything I put it on to see how it looks. Then resize bracelet or swap strap and set time.

hm11esh

4/9/18
Size up the bracelet and give it a good soak in baby oil. Then threadlock the links if they are screwed in

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
One thing that I did not to for my first reps and now do it every time : check all external screws and ensure they are properly tightened !
Even better : unscrew them one at a time and put some thread locker on them (a simple one, like Loctite 241)

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
One thing that I did not to for my first reps and now do it every time : check all external screws and ensure they are properly tightened !
Even better : unscrew them one at a time and put some thread locker on them (a simple one, like Loctite 241)
This surprising how many are actually loose

Sent from my Noob v9.5

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
This surprising how many are actually loose

Sent from my Noob v9.5

Realised that when receiving my last rep, screw fell down in my hand as I was unwrapping it, made me take out all the other reps to check the screws, not a single one was solidly bolted in, they all had some play.
Everything cleaned and thread locked now !