• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do TDs send "fake" timegrapher pics?

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I suspected they do. Even the most respected ones. Occasionally, or even frequently, depending on the character of the TD.

There are numerous complaints of a dead or pretty much a dead watch upon receipt by members. On a percentage basis, I would guess such happenings are less than 10%, but I really do not have data to confirm this number. For those who post, they get slapped around by other members given various reasons.

The modus operandi for the TD's QC team is to stop a timegrapher result for a watch. Then slap on every watch they ship out to that "frozen" timegrapher result. Care has to be taken so that the "red" blinking light (when switched off) of the most common timegraphers is covered by watch on display.

Do I have any substantiation to this preposterous charge that I have made? Yes. Upon digging through my old orders, I had once ordered 2 watches in the same shipment. The QC timegraph results were as shown in the picture below. Notice both the watches show the same exact performance! The only difference is the difference in angle of photograph. What are the probabilities?

In summary, the JF oyester, for the time I wore it ran within +/- 1s/d, much better than shown. The PAM titanium lefty ran with a deviation of 30s/d. Needless to say I still have the JF and I trying regulate the PAM I spent half its purchase price with repair etc. I dont have it any more.

VVibSr.jpg

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Interesting to see how this turns out...it’s been posted a number of times:popcorn:

dealerclocks

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
19/7/18
Look closely at where the line ends. It's not a "frozen" timegrapher result. Shit happens, friend, I think most of the TDs here will not resort to something like that. If anything, it will cause us more problems sending out a watch we already know won't keep time.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I will say this - none of my new rep watches have the same timing results as those shown on QC pics. Some ran better and some worse. For example, I received an Omega PO GMT that actually ran 2 min/d slow for over a week, yet its QC shows +14s/d. I regulated it to +/- 6s/d. No big deal. Keep in mind that there are many external forces that could affect the watch timing while it traveled from the Chinese TD to your house.

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Imo these tgpics are of no use as nobody can tell if they are of the actual watch you bought, also the condition of the mvt can change during/due to shipping so these pics don't prove anything.
just my 2 cents

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
One thing I found out, related to the topic in title line:

A TD who is known for more personalized service (and hence smaller) mentioned that most TDs feel that +/-60 s/d is ok to ship.

BUT, (and here on, it is only my opinion) will they send out a QC which shows, say, +45s/d? I doubt it. I think they will send a QC pic which will show much better, say within +/- 10s/d, even though the watch performs as previously mentioned. I think my suspicion is confirmed.

Please do note, no TD will ship a dead watch. It seems they will ship out one which will be within +/- 60s/d as and when they check it. It could be worse when you receive it. And this is because most members accept this.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
There was an incident a year or two ago, turned out it was a lazy employee who photoshopped the QC pics, he got fired.
Will not name the TD as it has been dealt with and it’s in the past. There is always a chance that the QC pics have been tampered with, same goes for your local watch retailer.

Reactions: SuperLory

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
The odds of those two watches having the exact same specs at the exact same moment on the graph is 1000 to 1. It looks to be a static shop used for at least these two watches...

TheKnight

16/11/18
Imo these tgpics are of no use as nobody can tell if they are of the actual watch you bought, also the condition of the mvt can change during/due to shipping so these pics don't prove anything.
just my 2 cents
My to puts a paper with date beside pics so u know it's URS. Or a code on a paper on each pic

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
My to puts a paper with date beside pics so u know it's URS. Or a code on a paper on each pic

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

only thing that would work is a unique serialnr and no rep has that....

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
The odds of those two watches having the exact same specs at the exact same moment on the graph is 1000 to 1. It looks to be a static shop used for at least these two watches...

Way lesser odds.

Accuracy, say -60s/d to +60s/d = ~120 values (if you consider uniform distribution over the range).
Amplitude, say 150 - 320 = ~170 values
Beat error 0 to 4 ms, 40 values

That gives you 1:816000 or lets just round to 1 in a million :) :)

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
There was an incident a year or two ago, turned out it was a lazy employee who photoshopped the QC pics, he got fired.
Will not name the TD as it has been dealt with and it’s in the past. There is always a chance that the QC pics have been tampered with, same goes for your local watch retailer.

I agree it is more likely a lazy employee rather than an employee who is instructed to do so.

But photoshopping is way too much work. The employee just stops the time grapher at one reading and sticks different watches which are in the pipeline and takes photos. No way he will be found out if one watch went to you, one to me and another goes somewhere else. Just that results for 2 watches were sent to me, and I didnt notice this at all at that time!!