• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asian movements and airport X-ray machines

Simonbolivar

Renowned Member
17/2/13
Long Island, New York
I fly almost weekly, and have for over 10 years. I have never noticed the slightest impact to any of my reps or gens. I normally wear my watch through metal detectors, or scanners. On rare occasions, security screeners have noticed my watch and insisted it be put through the X-ray.

I think any concerns about airport security equipment affecting watches is theoretical only.

Reactions: rj999

Pantera87

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/19
Hor-Fan that's what I am planning to do swap it for an ETA or a Selitta, and that's the reason I am asking about gens as well.

Simonbolivar personally I have seen my watches being a tiny bit affected, even though that could be due to electronic interference on my digital watch or poor craftsmanship on my automatic one.

Another effect that I am not sure how it affects watches is the gamma radiation in flight. Supposedly it is a tiny bit amount, but there is a maximum limit for human intake. I am not sure if that degrades small hairsprings or tiny bits inside the watch

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I can’t answer your everyday question but I travel a fair bit and always take a few reps with me.

Sometimes I take them off and put them in the tray through the X-ray.

Sometimes I leave them on and just let them set off the metal detector and get the wand treatment.

Never had an issue in my 5 years travelling with reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
There's a difference between electromagnetic radiation (which X-ray is) and magnetic field (which can affect watches)
An X-ray machine has a negligible magnetic field and the magnetic effect that conveyor belts and regular metal detector have, is most likely to be the culprit of any issue incurring after passing through an airport.

Most of our rep has gone through multiple X-ray machine during shipping without this harming them :)

Reactions: rj999 and Rush

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
There is no effect from ionized radiation produced by x-ray machines on mechanical devices. Gamma radiation particles are are so small and fast that the likelihood of interactions on the atomic level is low. The only possible way ionized radiation would harm metal or electronics would be by massive exposure on the Fukushima meltdown level creating heat from impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rj999

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
My watches (both rep and gen) have been scanned at the airport for the last 15 years with no issues.

Reactions: Rush

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I have never had to remove my watch when passing through airport security..........

Reactions: Rush