• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asian movements and airport X-ray machines

Pantera87

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/19
Hey there fellow forum members. I've got a question regarding asian movements that perhaps someone can shed some light. Do you know if asian movements are as reliable as their swiss counterparts when going through x-ray machines on airports? After doing some engineering research I found out that throughout the years especially eta has created composites to counter the effects of strong magnetism.Do you know if that is true on the asian counterparts? Had anyone experience of how long the movements would last by going through airport security every day?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I can't even figure out why someone would go through airport security EVERY DAY, so go figure. But if your life depends on the quality and magnetism resistance of your watch, I'd rather not rely on a cheap Chinese watch...

Pantera87

31/1/19
People who work at aviation related jobs have to go through security everyday. And personally I don't want to get my gen Panerai through security every day, the hazard of the watch being damaged are way too many even for a gen watch, that's why I am interested in a rep one, I was just curious how it stands on the test of time after being exposed to all that radiation-magnetism

Reactions: manodeoro

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
i never knew xray machines generated magnetic RF , or are you talking about the metal detection thingy

Reactions: rj999

Pantera87

31/1/19
Both are creating strong interference, but I am specifically talking for the x-ray machine that your stuff goes through (the metal thingy door you go through would detect the watch anyway because it detects metals so you can not wear the watch as you go through). I have tried passing my two main daily drivers through the x-ray scanner, a Casio Edifice and a Vostok ekranoplan. The casio every week or so loses home position of the hands and needs to be reset back to original values and my ekranoplan tends to lose power and need rewinding, and that is especially visible when it is running low on power.That is also my main concern, cause as far as I know NH35 movement and 2824 share some very very basic commonalities, and in conjunction with the A2824 being a chinese knockoff, I am really concerned about how long will the movement last

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Is it strong enough? Xray won’t affect film, HD’s, flash memory etc...

Reactions: rj999

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
I've read on gen forums that you can wear your watch as you go though that mini metal detector tunnel. You guys know what I'm talking about. It's the one where they make you raise your hands above your head. From what some of the GEN forums say, this will create less issues with your watch than sticking it in a bag as it goes through the x-ray machine.

There is a famous Panerai guy named Nad who is popular on paneristi.com.

He travels alot. He's recommended this.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Both are creating strong interference, but I am specifically talking for the x-ray machine that your stuff goes through (the metal thingy door you go through would detect the watch anyway because it detects metals so you can not wear the watch as you go through). I have tried passing my two main daily drivers through the x-ray scanner, a Casio Edifice and a Vostok ekranoplan. The casio every week or so loses home position of the hands and needs to be reset back to original values and my ekranoplan tends to lose power and need rewinding, and that is especially visible when it is running low on power.That is also my main concern, cause as far as I know NH35 movement and 2824 share some very very basic commonalities, and in conjunction with the A2824 being a chinese knockoff, I am really concerned about how long will the movement last

I dont think the movment will be DAMAGED , it might get magnetized but a quick trip though a demag should make it ok , ive heard the miligauss reps anti mag sheid does infact work it got a little faraday cage built into it

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I've read on gen forums that you can wear your watch as you go though that mini metal detector tunnel. You guys know what I'm talking about. It's the one where they make you raise your hands above your head. From what some of the GEN forums say, this will create less issues with your watch than sticking it in a bag as it goes through the x-ray machine.

There is a famous Panerai guy named Nad who is popular on paneristi.com.

He travels alot. He's recommended this.

thats actually a xray machine , callled a scatter back , it bombards you with light xrays and the shit that flys back is usually hitting metal ,

Reactions: Rush

Pantera87

31/1/19
muiramas xray won't affect all these cause even though they have rinds of metal, it is small in quantity. Watches instead are a bulk mess of metal and springs.The more metal something has the more it is affected by magnetism.For film I have 0 clue how the modern film works. If i had to guess I would say something with pigment thus not really affected by magnetism.

Rush the thing you are refering to is microwave technology I assume and thus very few airports in europe, where I am located, have it (I have seen it only in Frankfurt and Heathrow airports). Statewise it is very commonly used in airports. As a crew I have 0 choice but to throw my watch in the tray, I am forced to by the equivalent of TSA personnel

Pantera87

31/1/19

haha i thought you meant this one I am attaching in picture

scanners.jpg

This one is based on millimeter tech not x-rays, and as it is bigger wavelength than x-rays it is allowed to carry more energy, thus magnetising metals easier

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
haha i thought you meant this one I am attaching in picture

scanners.jpg

This one is based on millimeter tech not x-rays, and as it is bigger wavelength than x-rays it is allowed to carry more energy, thus magnetising metals easier

Ahh well that might , im not really familiar with that device ....

Pantera87

31/1/19
I dont think the movment will be DAMAGED , it might get magnetized but a quick trip though a demag should make it ok , ive heard the miligauss reps anti mag sheid does infact work it got a little faraday cage built into it

Is that replicated on A2824 or A7750 as well? Cause faraday cage should suffice, I am not sure if my casio has something similar, creating all those problems

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Is that replicated on A2824 or A7750 as well? Cause faraday cage should suffice, I am not sure if my casio has something similar, creating all those problems

its on a 2836 or 2824 , its just got a ductile iron shield underneath the SS (non mag) caseback

Pantera87

31/1/19
Thanks for the assistance! greatly appreciated will look more into it

Pantera87

31/1/19
Thanks for all the material it has been a great read. I assume my two main drivers have accumulated plenty of megnetic loading going that often through magnetic fields and they just need to be degaussed once, i have never performed that on either of them. Regarding the asian movements, do you know if the metals that are used are the same as the genuine counterparts? I assume most of the metal present of the movements should be stainless steel or aluminium is that correct?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I don’t think the quality of the metal in the clones is on par with the gen. Why not put a gen Eta in your rep?