• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is Rolex just to fake?

Sylar17

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/2/19
Shropshire UK
Ok. This will be controversial but her I go.

Is Rolex just to fake? I see the occasional one on a wrist and my first thought is - its a fake.

I know I know I'm not trying to pee anyone off but there are just so many fakes, really good fakes, that even if it was real i would think its just a good noob.

I do like them and want one so bad but I wonder if I could pull it of as real. I know the Rolex needs to go with the full pack, like an Aston Martin and a massive house but if you had the car then would you buy the replica?

I personal feel that a replica Omega, Tag or somthing less copied would make a more plausible watch on a "normal" guy like me.

what are your thoughts? Am I being daft or would you guys fall for a rep Rolex on a bloke driving a Merc?

Reactions: rj999

Jusoh

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/1/19
Lmao. You definatly do not need a luxury cars and big houses to own a gen rolex. It's "only" a 7-10k$ watch.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Wear what you like, most people cannot tell a gen from a good rep, regardless of make/model.
However, if you are wearing a gold Rolex but drive a rusty Ford Pinto, I'd guess you are wearing a fake.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13

Is Rolex just to fake? I see the occasional one on a wrist and my first thought is - its a fake.

I know I know I'm not trying to pee anyone off but there are just so many fakes, really good fakes, that even if it was real i would think its just a good noob.

I do like them and want one so bad but I wonder if I could pull it of as real. I know the Rolex needs to go with the full pack, like an Aston Martin and a massive house but if you had the car then would you buy the replica?

I personal feel that a replica Omega, Tag or somthing less copied would make a more plausible watch on a "normal" guy like me.

what are your thoughts? Am I being daft or would you guys fall for a rep Rolex on a bloke driving a Merc?

No one asks. Ever...

bugatti_at_tims.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Wear what you like, most people cannot tell a gen from a good rep, regardless of make/model.
However, if you are wearing a gold Rolex but drive a rusty Ford Pinto, I'd guess you are wearing a fake.
My Ford Pinto is a custom build ... full gold with some fake rust on it ... $$$$$$

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

milzcastro

8/4/18
My rule is DONT OVER DO IT and you’ll be fine...Stay in your lane, a working adult that has a stable career/ income can pull of a fine time piece. It’s when you know and everyone you know knows you can’t afford $20,000 watch yet you wear it every where.

That’s when it looks FAKE.

I stay within the 5k to 8k range and don’t own 10 Rolex’s or others...

Be smart!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17

Dude, relax. A Submariner is cheaper than a second hand Honda Civic.

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
If you go full gold and/or bling then it becomes questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: rj999

ilovegirls

11/4/12
You don't need a fancy car or massive house to pull off a Rolex. It all comes down to your character. A shady character with a gen Rolex would make it look fake. So rock it and rock it well.

Btw, I have a few friends that make 1m/yr and they rock reps from time to time. I wear both and no one ever asks.

VacheronC

Horology Curious
18/12/18
Think about it that way: it could be a present or inheritage from a far-away uncle or your grandpa. Nobody can tell for 100% where it comes from.

Sylar17

1/2/19
Shropshire UK
Love the response to this.

I think I will pick a Roller up at some point but keep it for very best. Maybe weddings and job interviews....

I do think they look more plausible if the straps changed to a leather or even a nato.... in fact thats what I'll do! Rolex on a nato..... I like this idea.

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
There are people who own mansions and drive 150k+ cars that I bet you have their ARF sub or any other rep.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
You don’t have to be even remotely wealthy to own a Rolex.

Almost all AD’s offer 4 years interest free finance.

A Sub in the U.K. is £6.5k.

Or £1,625 a year
Or £135 a month
Or £31 a week
Or £4.40 a day

You can even do it backwards and actually save for 4 years and buy one outright.

No Mansions or Aston’s required just the will to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hinclimincli

xkqwts

Known Member
21/2/17
Another thing to keep in mind is the availabilty these days. Aside from the grey market - which is overpriced, a hurdle for most people and has its dangers: You can't just walk straight into an AD these days and buy a SS sub/GMT/Daytona. Either you have purchase history (and in that case you're usually somewhat rich anyway) or you'll get on the waiting list, which is about 5 years right now IIRC - and if someone can't put aside a few thousand euros in that time, he's got a whole lot of other problems than people calling him out for wearing a rep.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
You don’t have to be even remotely wealthy to own a Rolex.

Almost all AD’s offer 4 years interest free finance.

A Sub in the U.K. is £6.5k.

Or £1,625 a year
Or £135 a month
Or £31 a week
Or £4.40 a day

You can even do it backwards and actually save for 4 years and buy one outright.

No Mansions or Aston’s required just the will to own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ This.

Being a Starbucks customer is as expensive as owning a new Rolex.

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
Rolex does not have to go with the full combo ... well, unless you're talking about the Daytona, or those blinged-out special edition.
A pre-owned, vintage Rolex can be had for under 3k USD, so, definitely not for the ultra-rich.

But you're right, there's that stigma everytime you see a Rolex you immediately wonder if it's real/fake ... can that person afford it??

I've been around far and long enough to know not to judge - a teen wearing T's, shorts and sandals could be wearing a genuine Rolex whereas a well-dress, well groomed adult could be wearing a fake. Looks can be deceiving.

Can you pull it off?
I'm pretty sure you can, especially if you appear genuine yourself, not too pretentious, and as you said, OP, try and not overdo it ... especially if your style is that of a "normal" guy.
Try not to worry too much about it.

sunnydale

29/8/09
Why even think about this? Rolexes are for old people anyways. Are you what 85?

Joking aside, if you are a rep owner, you suspect every watch you see. Maybe normal people don't.

Reactions: milzcastro